Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I have the bug bites from hell...What would you do?

(41 Posts)

Uploaded a photo from earlier but they look redder/more swollen in rl. And my ankle is puffy as hell.

Was bitten friday night and not sure what to do about it. Taking anti-histamine and putting h'cortisone cream on them every 5mins few hours but they burn/itch like hell and my ankle (where most of it is) is swelling lots/hurts to walk on. Also feel a little flu-ish but that's fairly usual if I get lots of bites. I always react badly but not that badly.

Is it best to leave it another day or two (have a day off tomorrow so don't need to walk anywhere anyway) or would you get it checked out sooner?

It doesn't itch much today really. They're all just really sore/my ankle is really sore.

MiaowTheCat Mon 21-Jul-14 11:14:24

My mum has a bite relief stick thing she got from Boots - stings like fuckery going on (ammonia based) but did whack the itching down on mine. Trouble was it stung so much going on I threatened to kick anyone in the face who came near me with it again!

My friend is a pharmacist so I've grossed her out asked her advice and she just said the same (wrt antihistamine/h'cortisone cream and wait to see what happens).

Galena Mon 21-Jul-14 10:56:15

Go to the pharmacy instead?

Thanks smile

Primafacie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:39:52

I had the same last month in Italy. I counted over 50 bites on my legs, looking just like yours. It was massively itchy, I totally sympathise. A month they are still visible - I'm sure some of them will scar.

I was told using a hair dryer on the bites, the highest heat you can tolerate, would stop the pain (but didn't try it myself - unhelpful smile). There is a cooling spray made by the same brand that makes deet mosquito repellent - Jungle something - look for a blue spray can at Boots. I found that helped more than Calamine.

If all else fails - please take comfort in the fact that it will stop itching in a day or three. <hugs>.

JustSquirted Mon 21-Jul-14 10:37:49

I react to bites like that too. This summer, one at the side of my knee has been oozing sticky yellow pus in a steady trickle down my leg which was pleasant. Stabbed over after a few days, and now look like purple and yellow bruises with cuts in the middle.

Hope they stop itching soon OP.

Nonie241419 Mon 21-Jul-14 10:27:10

All my bites have been just like that this summer. The itching is so intense it wakes me up and just as one crop start to fade, the buggers attack me again and I get a new set to drive me mad. It's spoiling summer sad

Really don't want to go to the Docs if I can help it. Always a faff with DS which is a tad annoying if you get told it wasn't worth the visit...

Oh and also feel unwell but that's probably because there are so many bites and my body is burning out a bit trying to deal with them all, or something like that. Not that hot or anything, just feel very rundown/a bit woozy.

Some are also forming heads, which is disgusting! grin

Less itchy though, just sore and swollen.

Thanks for the advice.

This is what they look like this morning. One or two are darker/more purpley but some are lighter.

The one that looks like two merged together are on the back of the other leg (not the one with the swollen ankle).

Bloody sore walking to nursery, but thank god it's only a 10 min trip each way!

I don't think it was the blandford fly or it'd be worse wouldn't it?

Trying to see if a friend can give me a lift to the docs later as it's a half hour walk each way.

I hate nature grin hmm

Shouldwego Mon 21-Jul-14 07:57:34

OP you are me or I am you. I am covered in the worst bites I have has for many years, so so itchy and sore. I am for to chop my legs off or kill someone.

I sympathise. I hope yours are a bit better today.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 21-Jul-14 07:48:45

OP - do you know what it was that bit you? Was it the Blandford fly by any chance?

Alarm bells went off when you said you'd been camping in Dorset, by water. We live in North Dorset, and I've been bitten three times this summer by the sodding things. They hurt, my leg swelled up but fortunately went down again after a few days. I was bitten on my hand, and that swelled up and I couldn't move my thumb for the rest of the day. Excruciatingly painful and itchy.

WilburIsSomePig Mon 21-Jul-14 07:38:14

*Mark sure you get the Original one, not any of the others.

WilburIsSomePig Mon 21-Jul-14 07:37:51

Yep, docs to make sure. When they've gone get some Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray, it doesn't work for everyone but it really works for me. I used to get bitten to buggery too til someone told me to try it and now I'm obsessed with it. And I smell purty too. smile

They look a little lighter in colour but still vivid. Some have spread a tiny bit further and they're more sore than itchy now. But still quite itchy. Very aware of where each big one is without looking as they sort of tickle and are aching. But the lighter colour is a good thing.

Still very sore to walk on left foot.

MiaowTheCat Sun 20-Jul-14 21:26:02

You have my sympathy - I got eaten alive last weekend and my legs look worse than that to be honest (going down and it's normal for me since my ankles resemble an all you can eat buffet to anything going before anyone panics)! I'll be honest - I just scratch 'em till they're raw but that's not the approach recommended by most!

nothingtodotoday Sun 20-Jul-14 21:19:32

Hydrocortisone cream and take anti histamine tablets. I did that, mine were the same and took 2 days to go down.

Galena Sun 20-Jul-14 21:16:57
Galena Sun 20-Jul-14 21:15:11

We have a clicky thing. DH had some bad bites last week, they were very itchy, hot and sore. Then he remembered the clicky thing. He clicked it all around the bite (I think the instructions say 1 or 2 clicks, but he did loads) and by the next day they were far better.

I shall find a clicky thing link forthwith.

hiccupgirl Sun 20-Jul-14 20:53:53

When I get a bad reaction to some bites, they start like that and gradually blow up over the whole lower arm/leg/wherever over a couple of days before slowly starting to go down. Tbh whenever I have had then looked at by a nurse or doctor, they've given me priton and told me it's fine unless you get a red line tracking out of them or they grow more.

I usually put an antiseptic cream on them to try and stop any infection then cold compress and take priton but they still take up to 2 weeks to completely go.

Thanks.

ANecklaceOfRaindrops Sun 20-Jul-14 20:32:53

Just thought, I find coconut oil very good at relieving itching, swelling, inflammation too. I use it as my 'go to' for everything - amazing stuff.

Def going to remember that hot spoon trick tho. I get bitten to buggery by mossies etc in the summer!

I get bitten to buggery. Tiger balm or vicks vaporub will really help take the sting off and cool them. If you don't have this the hot spoon technique mentioned upthread works. However, I also find that mine itch more when I am hot, so I would have them under cold water fairly regularly and to get to sleep drape a cold, damp muslin/tea-towel/cotton scarf over them.
Antihistamines, I tend to take a double dose to give the effect a bit of a oost to get things started, but obviously this is not a recommended medical solution (it just works for me, I was driven to it by desperation!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now