Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I have the bug bites from hell...What would you do?

(41 Posts)

Uploaded a photo from earlier but they look redder/more swollen in rl. And my ankle is puffy as hell.

Was bitten friday night and not sure what to do about it. Taking anti-histamine and putting h'cortisone cream on them every 5mins few hours but they burn/itch like hell and my ankle (where most of it is) is swelling lots/hurts to walk on. Also feel a little flu-ish but that's fairly usual if I get lots of bites. I always react badly but not that badly.

Is it best to leave it another day or two (have a day off tomorrow so don't need to walk anywhere anyway) or would you get it checked out sooner?

scratchandsniff Sun 20-Jul-14 19:53:59

I'd try some eurax cream. Also go to docs if still like it after tomorrow, could be infected.

scratchandsniff Sun 20-Jul-14 19:54:44

In fact go to docs tomorrow

You can kind of see how there's a lighter red circle around each bite.

I look like I have a toddler's leg which is not very pleasant grin hmm

The swelling is 'soft' is that makes sense.

I want to scratch the things off but am trying to MN and distract myself!

spacefrog35 Sun 20-Jul-14 20:09:27

Do you have any Vicks vaporub? It really takes the itch down to a level I can cope with if I slather it all over them. It's not a long term solution but might help until you can get to a pharmacist tomorrow?

grocklebox Sun 20-Jul-14 20:09:27

I get that everytime I get bitten, usually worse. I only ever needed treatment when a few went black, red and swollen goes down soon enough!
Eurax is good, as is piriton. And alcohol is great as a distraction.

ihatethecold Sun 20-Jul-14 20:09:38

So is it bed bugs or mozzy bites.

If it's bed bugs you have a whole load of things to do to eradicate them.

scratchandsniff Sun 20-Jul-14 20:11:13

You're ankle is very puffy. I'd say you've had a very strong reaction to them. The bites themselves don't look infected. Call the docs first thing to get an appt if your ankle still puffy like that in the morning. try bicarb in a bath to see if they'll help soothe the itching.

DoItTooJulia Sun 20-Jul-14 20:12:43

Doctors tomorrow. For now, slices of cucumber on the bites to soothe and cool them.

Do you have any essential oils? Lavender and tea tree wold be useful.

Also chamomile tea bags, steeped in boiling water, cooled right down and applied directly to the bites.

A cold, cold flannel.

Aloe Vera gel? Germoline has a local anaesthetic in it, or any cream with numbing properties, like piles cream would help.

Keep them up to help with the swelling. And don't scratch.

Hope you're better soon

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Jul-14 20:13:36

Go to the doctors tomorrow but in the meantime run a spoon under hot water/boil in a kettle and pour over spoon. Press the back of the spoon against each bite (obviously be a bit careful as will initially be a bit too hot!). Apparently this kills the protein in the bite and relieved itching.

I read it the other night and then of course got bitten in a big way. I tried it this morning because the bites were itchy and sore enough for me to merrily have scratched my skin off. It worked!

ANecklaceOfRaindrops Sun 20-Jul-14 20:14:42

I was just coming on to suggest hydrocortisone cream as it's the only thing that works for me, but I see you already beat me to it. I do find it takes a few applications to really have an effect.

Applying apple cider vinegar to insect bites is supposed to help with itching/swelling. Can't vouch for it as not tried myself

Would go to doctors if not any better tomorrow tho.

We went camping in Dorset...near water (so asking for trouble really)!

Got bitten on the first night and didn't notice til yesterday, mid-morning.

Been taking antihistamine for a month anyway for hayfever anyway but been doing the cream, then kitchen towel and something cool over the top since we got home today which helps.

Not sure whether or not to go to the docs. Think i'll just keep an eye on it. All my shoes/sandals make it very sore so probably best to avoid it for now.

Thanks smile

(Obvsioulsy if it's worse by tomorrow/my temp is higher/the swelling is worse I'll try and go, just to be safe).

Framboisier Sun 20-Jul-14 20:28:41

I had a really bad bite a couple of weeks ago - in the bit of skin between thumb and forefinger ...it was SO painful - whole hand was hot, swollen, itchy....unless the bite gets infected, you can really only carry on doing what you're doing. My hand went back to more or less normal after c 48 hours and then properly normal about another day later.

Polkadotpatty Sun 20-Jul-14 20:31:15

Keep the leg up as much as poss, and if any of them are particularly worrying in terms of the size of the red swollen area around them, mark it out with dots with a biro - that way if it crosses the biro line you'll know it's not improving and you may need a dr/have an infection. Hopefully the swollen areas will gradually shrink with the antihistamine though.

Loads of sympathy to you - I've had some corkers this summer, one where I couldn't get a shoe on for a few days. Hope you feel a lot better very soon!

I get bitten to buggery. Tiger balm or vicks vaporub will really help take the sting off and cool them. If you don't have this the hot spoon technique mentioned upthread works. However, I also find that mine itch more when I am hot, so I would have them under cold water fairly regularly and to get to sleep drape a cold, damp muslin/tea-towel/cotton scarf over them.
Antihistamines, I tend to take a double dose to give the effect a bit of a oost to get things started, but obviously this is not a recommended medical solution (it just works for me, I was driven to it by desperation!).

ANecklaceOfRaindrops Sun 20-Jul-14 20:32:53

Just thought, I find coconut oil very good at relieving itching, swelling, inflammation too. I use it as my 'go to' for everything - amazing stuff.

Def going to remember that hot spoon trick tho. I get bitten to buggery by mossies etc in the summer!

Thanks.

hiccupgirl Sun 20-Jul-14 20:53:53

When I get a bad reaction to some bites, they start like that and gradually blow up over the whole lower arm/leg/wherever over a couple of days before slowly starting to go down. Tbh whenever I have had then looked at by a nurse or doctor, they've given me priton and told me it's fine unless you get a red line tracking out of them or they grow more.

I usually put an antiseptic cream on them to try and stop any infection then cold compress and take priton but they still take up to 2 weeks to completely go.

Galena Sun 20-Jul-14 21:15:11

We have a clicky thing. DH had some bad bites last week, they were very itchy, hot and sore. Then he remembered the clicky thing. He clicked it all around the bite (I think the instructions say 1 or 2 clicks, but he did loads) and by the next day they were far better.

I shall find a clicky thing link forthwith.

Galena Sun 20-Jul-14 21:16:57
nothingtodotoday Sun 20-Jul-14 21:19:32

Hydrocortisone cream and take anti histamine tablets. I did that, mine were the same and took 2 days to go down.

MiaowTheCat Sun 20-Jul-14 21:26:02

You have my sympathy - I got eaten alive last weekend and my legs look worse than that to be honest (going down and it's normal for me since my ankles resemble an all you can eat buffet to anything going before anyone panics)! I'll be honest - I just scratch 'em till they're raw but that's not the approach recommended by most!

They look a little lighter in colour but still vivid. Some have spread a tiny bit further and they're more sore than itchy now. But still quite itchy. Very aware of where each big one is without looking as they sort of tickle and are aching. But the lighter colour is a good thing.

Still very sore to walk on left foot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now