Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

That feeling when you have finished a book and feel a bit bereft...

(33 Posts)
EustaciaVye Sun 20-Jul-14 17:07:09

Doesnt matter what book(s), but when you have finished reading and you dont want it to end....

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Jul-14 17:10:10

I get that. I've developed at habit of reading books multiple times as a result. My dp thinks it is very odd. I've been doing it since I was quite young though. The odd habit has been around longer than him, so it stays! grin

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Sun 20-Jul-14 17:11:38

Oh yes, back when I read loads I used to hate finishing books. Not all of them, but the ones where you just wanted to stay in that world and know those characters for longer.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Sun 20-Jul-14 17:12:45

I'd love to.get lost in a book like that again. I don't seem to have time or the brain space any more.

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Jul-14 17:15:37

I used to get it all the time, then when I first had the children didnt have time for a magazine never mind a book. They are older now, and I have time to read again.

It is fantastic. My last few days have been total escapism, yet now I feel a bit sad.

Picklesauage Sun 20-Jul-14 17:24:25

Yes! A book break-up or book hangover! They are the worst. You feel lost and alone, particularly if you don't have anything else to become invested in.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 20-Jul-14 17:29:38

Thank god I thought it was just me!

Its the ones where I feel engaged with the story or lead character, but it definitely goes deeper than that, I get totally lost in books and can't read during the day anymore.

hollycomputer Sun 20-Jul-14 17:36:04

Oh yes, I often get that feeling with a really good book. And Alisvolatpropiis I always re-read too - I never get why people think it's odd!

BrazilNil Sun 20-Jul-14 17:45:12

I finished a great book yesterday and feel a bit lost today. I do have a huge stack of ones I want to read though, so I just need to choose which one to go onto next

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Jul-14 17:53:04

The book I finished today is a re-read and STILL I feel lost. I am not sure it is good for me sometimes.

SiennaBlake Sun 20-Jul-14 17:57:56

I've had this this week. I read the hunger games finally (all three) and just felt so sad afterwards. Mainly because I felt like the third book went a bit silly and I just felt sad about the characters and the plot and the way it was written. I think I got way too emotionally into what is essentially a book for teens, expected a well written finale, didn't get it and after I finished just felt incredibly drained by it all.

I think I'm just going to stick to my old favourites now grin

Maggie O'Farrell's books leave me feeling like that

culturemulcher Sun 20-Jul-14 18:01:52

I call it book-mourning. I always have to wait a day before starting the next book if the last one has been very good, out of respect blush

OorWullie Sun 20-Jul-14 18:04:56

I usually have two or three books on the go at the same time which helps with the mourning process.... your other books still need to be read/looked after so it helps keep the grieving at bay grin

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Sun 20-Jul-14 18:06:30

Yes, culture mulcher, definitely have to decompress from a good book grin

Dammit I miss reading. I must make some time this summer.

prisonerofallisurvey Sun 20-Jul-14 18:08:16

It is a strange feeling isn't it? I find myself slowing down near the end of a book I am enjoying so it doesn't end too soon for me. Sad I know. Not all books do this to me though.

Kasterborous Sun 20-Jul-14 18:12:41

I sometimes try and read a book like that very slowly to savour every page. I find It hard to find a book I want to read after a book like that, and often start three or four different ones before I settle on one. My favourite thing is discovering an author or book you really enjoy reading then realising they have written another 10.

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Jul-14 18:27:39

I am now moping a little...
There is a film of the book I just read. Maybe I will watch that tonight.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 20-Jul-14 18:33:21

I have had it today, first time for a long time

Kasterborous Sun 20-Jul-14 18:34:32

If I love a book I will not watch a film or TV series of it. I find it never looks how I imagined it to look no matter how good it is, then I get stuck with those images in my head when I re-read the book.

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Jul-14 18:39:04

I know it won't be the same Kasterborous. But I don't know what to do with myself.

Dh is making me a cup of tea to help grin

hellymelly Sun 20-Jul-14 18:41:01

What was the book? I feel like this after something I have really loved. I, like others, keep the book and re-read it in a couple of years time. Bliss.

GatoradeMeBitch Sun 20-Jul-14 18:44:10

What book was it?

I get this, I often read them so fast then don't want to end it so read the end chapter so slowly then when finished I stroke the back of the book and wish for more.

I get over this by a) always having a non-fiction book on the go, alongside whatever novel I'm reading (except the last few months, as have been feeling too tired for non-fiction lately)
and b) opening the next novel, as soon as I've finished the previous one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now