Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are your must haves and definitely must not haves when choosing a self catering place?

(148 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 16:55:35

I have been perusing places that the Sparkling family may possible go this summer. I have decided I am Mrs Picky from Picky Town. grin

I sometimes wish we could go back to the days when you had no clue what a place was like til you got there, hadn't had a virtual tour and driven about on Streetview. I have dismissed loads because I didn't like the surroundings or the furniture. blush

We may stay at home. Even if I find somewhere the other 3 family members will want their input. grin Currently nobody is very fussed.

weegiemum Sun 20-Jul-14 16:57:09

Washing machine, dishwasher, comfy sofa about covers it.

We always take our own corkscrew grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 16:58:46

There are a lot of v uncomfortable looking sofas out there weegie. sad Cane furniture in the lounge is not relaxing of an evening.

We take sharp knives and Charmin. grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 17:00:27

Oh and WTF are 'sea glimpses'? It either has a sea view or it doesn't. angry

SwedishEdith Sun 20-Jul-14 17:01:01

I reject anywhere with swirly carpets. There must be a washing machine but I am less bothered about a dishwasher. And a private outdoor space - don't want to be forced to be sociable

For us

Must haves

A garden, even a tiny one
Parking
Three bedrooms as my children cannot share a room (well, not if anyone wants to sleep)
Highchair and cot
Bedding and towels

Nice to haves

Dishwasher
Washing machine
Wifi
Nearby shop
Bbq
Play equipment outside
Bathtub rather than just a shower

Do not wants

Pets allowed
Smoking permitted
Anything too old as often the plumbing is ridonkulous

MsGee Sun 20-Jul-14 17:01:58

Dishwasher, washer, Internet, parking space. No pets allowed (allergies). Must look pristine and essentially be nicer than my own home or I don't see the point smile

Anywhere with swirly pattern carpet or furniture is ruled out.

We always take our own garlic crusher!

MsGee Sun 20-Jul-14 17:03:21

Ha cross post Edith

(Actually I also rule out many other carpet colours but I don't want to seem too picky)

kernowgal Sun 20-Jul-14 17:03:32

So many of them seem to have pine cladding everywhere and chairs that look like a care home had a clear out. Chintzy curtains - yuck.

I stayed in a self-catering flat abroad recently and there were no soft furnishings, no pictures on the walls, nothing to make it feel homely. There were also no bits and bobs like salt and pepper cellars in the kitchen - I am always grateful when the host has included these things as it means you don't have to buy stuff that you'll have to chuck away at the end of the week.

I prefer carpets to laminate floors (makes the place seem cosier) and white bedlinen. A woodburner is a definite plus.

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 17:03:58

YY to parking, and YY to no pets allowed even though I own a pet myself. Plus no smoking.

This is making me feel better and less picky. I like a bit of outside space too that isn't communal. <antisocial emoticon>

Lesnewth Sun 20-Jul-14 17:04:07

Must haves: A utility room to put all holiday clutter! Sea view. En suite. Nice modern decor and furniture.

Must not have: Neighbours. Dogs.

kernowgal Sun 20-Jul-14 17:05:16

Must look pristine and essentially be nicer than my own home or I don't see the point

This, basically!

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 17:05:55

And YY to no swirly carpets.

I am amazed at some of the furniture I have seen. Some of it looks ancient-and not in an antique way.

eltsihT Sun 20-Jul-14 17:06:03

Washing machine and dishwasher. That's it, the one we are going to in the lakes has a trampoline in the garden which I am not to sure about.

I would rather have no internet and no tv but they are hard to find. We are going away with my parents as dh is away with work and are trying to devise a way to play bridge with 3 people.

MsSampson Sun 20-Jul-14 17:06:39

ooh, we just stayed somewhere with 100% polyester bedding, was horrific. had to go out and buy sheets. So that would definitely be on my list now. Also, same holiday, different place, but only one glass wine glass. But I feel enquiring as to number of wine glasses and quality of sheets in advance might mark me out as some kind of loon who you wouldn't want to rent to?

No chintzy sofas
No beams

Must have a stonkingly nice bathroom (so says dh). A dribbly shower ruins his holiday.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 20-Jul-14 17:07:39

Parking
And when DDs were younger somewhere outside for them to go while we packed beach stuff, cooked dinner.

Somewhere for us to have a drink in the evening.

Just a balcony will do. As long as it has a washing line.

In the UK a washer and some way to get stuff dry. Working heater at Easter and opening windows in high summer.

An accurate inventory, so you know what to pack.

WipsGlitter Sun 20-Jul-14 17:08:10

I'm your cousin Ms Fussy from Fusstown.

Decent furniture
Decent tv
No knick knacks
No swirly carpets
Modern looking bedding - no ancient bedspreads <boke>

usualsuspectt Sun 20-Jul-14 17:08:14

A bed, a bathroom .a microwave and some outside space.

I'm not fussed about any thing else really.

I also agree with pristine. If its not at least the same standard and preferably better than home there's just no point.

hugoagogo Sun 20-Jul-14 17:08:53

wifi and 3 bedrooms

This is always harder to find than I think it should be. hmm

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Jul-14 17:09:05

Chintz should be banned definitely.

We went and bought bed linen once. We were at a Haven and the mattress was very shiny and crinkly. So we went and bought a mattress protector to deafen the rustling. sad

A nice power shower is always a plus-with some instructions. wink

usualsuspectt Sun 20-Jul-14 17:11:00

Although wi fi and walking distance to a pub is always welcome.

MorvahRising Sun 20-Jul-14 17:11:08

Dishwasher, washing machine, wifi, no smoking essential.

Agree must be really clean. We have previously encountered (in five star properties) a microwave in which what appeared to be half a ton of baked beans had exploded mightily, and a carpet on which a previous tenant had clearly puked; neither had been cleaned to my (admittedly rather exacting) standards. We cleaned the microwave, but Words Were Said to the cleaner on the puke front.

Trouble is, you can't see inside the microwave from the brochure . . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now