Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Amsterdam - Van Gogh museum - worth going or not?

(33 Posts)

We only know one person who's been & she didn't think it was very good.

But I love Van Gogh...!

It's €30 for 2 of us. Opinions please smile

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 20-Jul-14 12:54:53

It was a good museum when we went but you couldn't get anywhere near the best paintings. Sunflowers, forget it. Would have been quicker to grow my own than queue up.

Velo Sun 20-Jul-14 12:55:29

This is a great museum and well worth the cost if you like Van Gogh. Go and enjoy!

MrsJohnDeere Sun 20-Jul-14 12:58:11

I enjoyed it. Dh (who isn't keen on Van Gogh or interested in art) was bored stiff.

Go early as it gets really crowded.

Allalonenow Sun 20-Jul-14 12:59:26

I loved it when I went, got there soon after it opened and it wasn't too crowded, saw all my favourites, it was wonderful!

grin Ribena

Thank you all - I think we probably will go then, but maybe late rather than early (I'm not good at early blush). We'll be staying nearby so may pop in on a whim rather than pre-booking.

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Sun 20-Jul-14 13:09:20

Another one who thought it was fantastic - definitely go!

SanityClause Sun 20-Jul-14 13:11:27

I went a few years ago with DD1. We booked online and got the hand held audio guide things. She was about 11, and found the children's one a bit young for her. Also, it took in different paintings to the adult guide, which was a bit of a pain.

It was quite wonderful, though.

fuzzpig Sun 20-Jul-14 13:13:21

We are hoping to go to Amsterdam either in October or next year. No matter what we will be going to see the Van Goghs as DD is obsessed, so even if I'm not that fussed it will be an unforgettable visit for her.

loombands Sun 20-Jul-14 13:22:58

Im a bit of a childish philestine and i find most museums BORING..but i went to the VG museum in Amsterdam approximately 20 years ago, and I still remember how much i enjoyed it

loombands Sun 20-Jul-14 13:24:36

....and, i don't like the dead sunflower painting

cafesociety Sun 20-Jul-14 13:26:17

Went there a long time ago, don't know how much it's changed. But I really, really enjoyed it. I'm a great Van Gogh fan though.

It's a beautiful new museum and the paintings are displayed wonderfully. We went in the evening and although it was busy I could spend as long as I liked in front of each painting - just stunning. So much to see and even a great shop. But please pre-book - queues are hours long!

Cuteypatootey Sun 20-Jul-14 13:32:06

Yes, go!

JellicleCat Sun 20-Jul-14 14:19:56

Well worth going, but definitely book. When we went (October) even the pre-booked ticket people had to queue to get in as the museum was already at capacity. However they queued a lot less than the peasants people like us who had not pre-booked. Was worth it though.

IdaBlankenship Sun 20-Jul-14 14:27:00

It is really worth the visit - perhaps not at Saturday lunchtime though! They also have really interesting temporary exhibitions there, I have seen Rosetti and Caravaggio ones. The revamped Rijksmuseum is also well worth a morning

HPparent Sun 20-Jul-14 14:31:15

Definitely go. I last went three years ago. Like others have said you can pre book tickets which save queuing. It is very crowded though especially in summer. The restaurant and shop are also good.

We booked the audio tours but the reference numbers referred to were quite difficult to spot next to the paintings and as the featured paintings tended to be displayed near to each other there were some bottlenecks.

Moogdroog Sun 20-Jul-14 15:10:14

If you love Van Gogh then you must go. It's a whole museum full of Van Gogh grin

Seriously, it's fab!

Pangaea Sun 20-Jul-14 15:50:34

I loved it.

My mother was really into Van Gogh. We had a number of prints up in the house growing up. Van Gogh always reminds me of home.

So what I'm saying is, if you like Van Gogh, you'll enjoy the museum!

SanityClause Sun 20-Jul-14 15:57:31

Definitely book the Anne Frank house before you go, if you wanted to see that, as well. We booked a slot and a short lecture about the house and family, which was interesting, and much better than waiting in the long queue outside.

missmartha Sun 20-Jul-14 15:57:33

The museum is worth a visit. It depends how long you are prepared to queue.

I got in on a special pass a few years ago, if I'd had to queue I wouldn't have bothered. It would have taken several hours.

<sits back and waits for some one to say they constantly wander in and out with no bother>

Kundry Sun 20-Jul-14 16:05:42

Do you like Van Gogh - if so you will love it. If not, waste of time. I went and am not a huge fan but even I could see it's a great museum.

If in Amsterdam make sure you go to the Rijkmuseum - the redesign is supposed to be amazing.

Took DS when he was 11 because he really wanted to go, two years later is still talking about it. We pre-booked and went early, it was not very crowded.

We'd already booked Anne Frank & the Rijksmuseum smile

& I have now booked Van Gogh, thanks for making me! thanks

we're only in Amsterdam Tue-Thu & there were only 4 slots left, I've booked 9am on the Wed so will have to drag myself out of bed at about 7am UK time shock

We are looking forward to it very much!

ByTheSea Sun 20-Jul-14 17:34:55

I loved it but I'm a big fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now