Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

When I build my dream home I will include ...

(69 Posts)
GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sun 20-Jul-14 11:40:15

An en suite to my room with a wall mounted loo and washbasin, a wet shower area rather than a cubicle and a Japanese style soaking bath with a little seat in it. I find that regular baths give me back ache if I lie in them but sitting upright means my upper body is out of the water. I might put wall mounted loos everywhere as DS has terrible aim and it would be much easier to clean if I could just swish the mop under it.

A separate dressing room, preferably with a door so that I can have all my clothes on open rails and racks. I tend to forget what clothes I have if I don't see them. It would leave my bedroom as a clear, serene space to sleep in (or be filled with abandoned toys as it is now).

A laundry room on the same level as the bedrooms (if two storey). It will be quite spacious with plenty of room for clothes horses or wall-mounted drying racks and a large table for sorting and folding. It will be a hot room, heated by solar panels. As it's not a living space it won't matter that the temperature will vary wildly according to the weather. It would mean that if I hang anything outside that I will be carrying wet and heavy clothes downstairs, but I find here in Ireland that the weather is pretty changeable so I don't hang things out if I'm going to be out of the house for a while. I also can't hang things out when the pollen count is up because of hay fever.

GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sun 20-Jul-14 11:41:19

I forgot to say please add your perfect home desires (so I can pinch them wink ).

StillFrigginRexManningDay Sun 20-Jul-14 11:42:09

Two bathrooms, thats all I want. Six of us and one bathroom is not a good combination.

StillFrigginRexManningDay Sun 20-Jul-14 11:42:52

Growl fuck that I will just move in with you.

I'd like an ozone treated pool. Indoor with attached sauna/shower room.

I also want a hobbit hole garden room for all my reading and pottering wink

StormyBrid Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:10

I'm going to have cat flaps in all internal doors. I will be able to close doors and not have to get up every five minutes to stop some little sod trying to scratch through. More sleep should result.

BigPawsBrown Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:47

I would like a tap above the bath that dispenses ice cold cloudy lemonade grin

exexpat Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:56

I'm with you on the walk-in wardrobes, OP - I had them once in a flat I rented and it was brilliant.

I would also like a Japanese heated toilet seat - not so bothered about all the high-tech bidet functions, but a heated loo seat in winter is bliss.

And continuing on the Japanese theme (I used to live there so I know what they get right), I would like a huge floor-to-ceiling shoe cupboard right by the front door, so I don't have to trip over a pile of wellies/trainers/school shoes as I come through the door.

I would also like a larder and a utility room, but maybe I'm just getting greedy now.

GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:50

Do you want your own en suite with Japanese soaking bath Still ? Because nobody else will be allowed into mine

marcopront Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:53

I want a swimming pool and a library.

naturalbaby Sun 20-Jul-14 11:47:36

Japanese bath for me too please!
I desperately miss the garage we had at our old house with an internal door to the house.
A natural swimming pool.

knittedslippersx2 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:48:09

A spacious dedicated laundry room. Big enough for washing, drying and ironing. A pantry. A fully fitted dressing room. My own little private den, it doesn't have to be big just room for me to curl up on a sofa with a book and a lovely view of the landscaped gardens. A hot tub and summer house. Not that I've thought about this much!

Monopolice Sun 20-Jul-14 11:51:06

A lap pool that can have the current turned off and become a paddling pool. Self cleaning and with a disappearing roof for the summer.

A marvellous laundry/drying room, with silent machinery - I'm not fussy grin I don't care where it is, as long as it has a shute from the main bathroom and a butler lift back to the bedrooms.

A walk-in larder /fridge thing.

Underfloor heating everywhere.

No curtains -plantation shutters (self-cleaning again) everywhere.

A boiler that can service hot water (at pressure) to all baths and showers at the same time even if someone dares to flush a toilet at the same time.

Monopolice Sun 20-Jul-14 11:52:00

Oh and a telly at the end of my personal bath - i.e. one that has been measured to be exactly the correct length for one challenged in the height department.

StillFrigginRexManningDay Sun 20-Jul-14 11:54:22

I will be happy in your laundry room. I love doing laundry bang goes the ounce of street cred I had left

GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sun 20-Jul-14 11:54:30

Oh, I forgot but exexpat has reminded me, in my hall I will have fitted cupboards that look like panelling, or possibly smooth wood with interesting burrs like walnut. With a push-release mechanism so that I'm not always bumping myself on a handle. Every member of the family will have their own cupboard. On the inside of the door there will be a list of what sporting/other equipment is needed for each day of the week and underneath it a big hook so that every evening the bags will be hung there ready for the morning. The cupboard will be large enough to hold each person's coats, shoes hockey sticks etc, and all of these things will be put away in there as soon as each child arrives home.

FairPhyllis Sun 20-Jul-14 11:57:41

I've wanted a swimming lake ever since I heard about them on here.

chocoluvva Sun 20-Jul-14 11:58:50

I used to have a clothes pulley for drying laundry in my kitchen GrowlLikeMargeSimpson. It was fab.

A room with space to have the ironing board set-up permanently would be brilliant too.

A boot room. With a stone floor. No more enormous smelly shoes all the way up the stairs in the choco household.

Two spare bedrooms so we could comfortably have people staying over.

A second reception room big enough to fit a grand piano.

A large garden shed with electricity and extremely effective sound-proofing for DS and DH to play their horrible electric instruments in. I would generously let them have a drum kit too grin

A hallway big enough to have a proper coatstand.

Multi-fuel stove for proper cosiness in the winter, no worries about power cuts and facility for warming your outdoor clothes on so they're toasty when you put them on before going out in the winter.

Old-fashioned kitchen table with drawers for cutlery.

chocoluvva Sun 20-Jul-14 12:01:07

Personal cupboards for kit! What a fantastic idea.

Preciousbane Sun 20-Jul-14 12:03:08

Internal cat flaps are a brilliant idea!

I would like a dedicated laundry room, American relatives of mine have this.

DH Aunt had a cold room that was about 12ft by 12ft.

I would really like a lake and a summerhouse

MILLYmo0se Sun 20-Jul-14 12:03:43

-a bungalow with spare room en-suite upstairs
-bedroom with separate dressing room, like yours OP
-laundry room inc hotpress near bedrooms
kitchen with oven on rather than under-counter ( and if I'm very rich one with a door that slides in under oven out of way while I m taking stuff out of it
-a big larder/cupboard with lots of shelves/pull-out bits
-only drawers in the kitchen,no cupboards on the walls,one wall with fridge,larder,fridge. Drawers under hob has saucepans,wooden spoons,spatulas etc. Drawers under oven have baking trays,roasters,cake tins etc
-l-shaped kitchen with sitting/tv area in one end
-door from kitchen area to playroom
-seperate 'nice' room for me and all my bits/interests/crafts and can be used as posh sitting room too
-stoves in sitting-rooms
-maybe underfloor heating in kitchen/playroom/bathroom
-big garage for DP a LONG way from the house !
-one of those boiling water taps, and a water-harvesting system
Am adding heated loo-seat and japanese bath to my plans !

SportsMixtureSweets Sun 20-Jul-14 12:06:17

A downstairs walk in shower for the dog. Under floor heating so he can dry off quickly and then a built in dog deodrant spray that sprays him every time he walks past it. If fact a room purpose built for a dog.

Fluffyears Sun 20-Jul-14 12:06:21

This is a must.

CerealMom Sun 20-Jul-14 12:06:54

I'd really like a wrap around veranda, like you see in the States. Practicle in our weather. With a hung swing bench with lots of cushions.

Oh, and a sound proofed play room with a glass wall, so I can keep my beady eye on DS and mates (but not hear them).

GrowlLikeMargeSimpson Sun 20-Jul-14 12:17:29

That's hilarious Fluffyears grin

Millymoose I redid my current kitchen after I moved here and I have almost all drawers (except for under the sink and the corner cabinet) and no wall cabinets at all. It really makes the kitchen seem much larger. Our next door neighbour came to have a look and he thought we had extended the kitchen into the garden as it looked so much bigger. Opposite my windows I have a bit of wall between two doors and I have full height cabinets there which hold an enormous amount, the doors are very high sheen (duck egg blue) and reflect light back into the room really well so they don't seem to dominate it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now