Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you know any charities etc I can volunteer for who WON'T ask my employer for a reference?

(34 Posts)
MidlifeMuddle Sat 19-Jul-14 11:41:56

Hi All,

After many years of working long and hard in a demanding career, I've signed myself off on endless extended sick leave whilst I work out what I'm doing with my life.

I've always wanted to volunteer to 'give something back' and now seems like a good time to do so.

The only problem is, I really don't want anyone to ask for a reference from my current employer as
a) I'm off sick as far as they're concerned and they may not want me volunteering
b) I don't want them knowing what I'm up to
c) I may go back to work for them if I don't find anything else to fulfil me/once I'm over my Midlife Muddle!

All my details can be checked instantly online and I'm on various professional websites etc. I can also provide as many personal references, CRB checks etc. as required to prove I'm safe and normal-ish!

Given the above, do you know of any charities etc who will let me volunteer for them in my spare time?

I'm based in Barnet and love driving and doing practical things!

Thanks,
M

Appletini Sat 19-Jul-14 23:32:25

treaclesoda I'm not sure actually. I think they looked at things on an individual basis. They said they'd prefer one employer ref if at all possible.

Realitybitesyourbum Sat 19-Jul-14 23:38:33

The op hasn't even said she IS sick. She has said she is sick as far as they are concerned. Maybe on your sick leave work out how not to lie to people?

goodasitgets Sun 20-Jul-14 00:01:30

I volunteer for a dog rescue (just walking, brushing, foster etc) and never had to give a reference

ParsingFlatly Sun 20-Jul-14 00:18:39

She hasn't said she ISN'T sick, either.

Obviously the right advice depends on whether she is or isn't sick, and that's something only the OP knows.

Might be nice not to go round putting the boot in till you know?

BackforGood Sun 20-Jul-14 00:29:44

I think when you are communicating with your manager / Occ Health and following advice to do something like volunteer dog walking (out in fresh air, regular exercise etc) which could well boost your mental well-being and therefore get you back into work sooner, then that's clearly different from signing up / starting to work for a charity, in a position that's likely to need references from work - clearly that's going to be more of a commitment...or job.
If it's not dodgy, why would it need to be kept secret from work is the question you need to ask yourself. although I still maintain the vast majority of volunteers do not have to get references from work.

MyFairyKing Sun 20-Jul-14 00:41:39

I used to work in social services and the voluntary sector in Barnet. I have loads of info. What would you particularly like to do? smile

Realitybitesyourbum Sun 20-Jul-14 08:58:03

But I quote: "After many years of working long and hard in a demanding career, I've signed myself off on endless extended sick leave whilst I work out what I'm doing with my life. " and "a) I'm off sick as far as they're concerned and they may not want me volunteering"
Neither statements maintain she is sick, in fact both of them say she isn't!!

Greythorne Sun 20-Jul-14 09:32:27

OP
Are you sick or do you hate your job / boss?

DogCalledRudis Sun 20-Jul-14 09:44:20

'prestigious' charities have queues of potential volunteers. So maybe references are a way to keep their number down.
Try something local to your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now