Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me choose between three job offers

(42 Posts)
BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 22:20:40

I am a commercial property trainee solicitor qualifying soon and have received three job offers smile however finding it v hard to choose between them.

Points to note! I have a complicated health history and work four days a week because of it.

I have just been signed by a literary agent and will be editing my novel ready to submit to publishers soon.

Job 1. Small firm, 9-5 hours, currently 1 hour commute away. Would look to move over that way as it's near family but my rent where I am now is really low and it would be harder to save for a house if I moved to market value rent. I also have a cat which might make renting hard. The salary would be £30k and the work would be pretty good development stuff. They are the only firm who know about and support my writing.

Job 2. Based in the city centre near where I currently work. Interview was super weird. Found the partners odd. It's ok ish work but more sort of social housing stuff with conscious and less interesting possibly. Salary would be £33.5k. Hours would be 9-6ish.

Job 3. Big big big firm, brilliant work. Interviewers seemed v up for a laugh and seemed to get me. Hours wouldn't be magic circle firm hours, maybe 9-7ish but quite intense. Salary £38k. City centre again.

I just can't decide!!!

1 if they can support your health care needs and writing career, less hours, near family for support.

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Fri 18-Jul-14 22:44:07

I'd take 3, cultural fit and highest starting salary. Hours arent too bad either if that's realistic.

Preciousbane Fri 18-Jul-14 22:44:27

1, don't over do it with your health, I should have taken notice of what was happening to me and didn't. I gave up working 18 months ago.

Well done on three offers.

overthemill Fri 18-Jul-14 22:44:42

Would all 3 allow you to work 4 days a week? Do you honestly think you can live off earnings from writing?

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Fri 18-Jul-14 22:46:17

1 - it may be a lower salary - but if you have the wish to continue writing they already know and support you in this.

nicelyneurotic Fri 18-Jul-14 22:47:08

I think job 1 would suit your health needs and writing.

Next would be job 3 but could you handle the hours?

Rule out job 2 as you didn't like the people and work would be less interesting.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Fri 18-Jul-14 22:47:20

Congratulatuons.

Which one leaves the most doors open? I would guess 3.

tunnocksteacake Fri 18-Jul-14 22:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 23:03:31

I don't know, I have periods of almost complete remission and periods of relapse where I can barely do anything, so not sure a long hours job would make a difference as my problems aren't triggered by overdoing it...

Yes I could work four days a week at all of them, under the equality act

BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 23:04:02

Job 1 would be similar hours to job 3 when you factor in the commute...

joanofarchitrave Fri 18-Jul-14 23:10:20

I would probably go for 3 because there would be more resource in the firm to cover if things go tits up healthwise. Also the 'getting me' thing is not to be despised.

fiorentina Fri 18-Jul-14 23:10:54

I would say job 3. Great for your cv and you could then move to a smaller firm and perhaps less pressure later on?

Flipflops7 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:12:55

Your post implies this order of preference:

erin99 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:12:59

Depends v much on how you value your writing and your time at home. 3 could mean giving it up for the foreseeable.

3 for a couple of years would be the best investment in your career. I think I'd take 1 but I'm not that ambitious. (I did used to be but I got a bit burned out/ got my priorities straightened out, depending which way you look at it!)

BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 23:13:29

Thanks, I think I want to take job 3 but part of my brain thinks "health problems and lots on in personal life = move to smaller firm"

I don't think I could live off book earnings by the way - I've no idea. It's my debut book and didn't have agent this time last week. Am seeing where it goes but will need to a) do it in spare time of course and b) not make career decisions based on it taking off before I've found a publisher

OcadoSubstitutedMyHummus Fri 18-Jul-14 23:13:57

Er, are you sure about the 4 day thing? Have you actually spoken to the firms or is this your assumption it will be ok? I assume you mean it as a reasonable adjustment to a disability but there are limits to what you can get here and it may not be that hard, depending on the work, to argue it can't be done.

BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 23:15:01

Yes all have confirmed four day week.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Fri 18-Jul-14 23:15:11

Agree with ocado.

EBearhug Fri 18-Jul-14 23:15:20

In order of preference:
3, 1, 2.
There are probably more future opportunities at a larger firm, and while they don't know about the novel, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be supportive - you just don't know at all.

OcadoSubstitutedMyHummus Fri 18-Jul-14 23:16:05

A good friend of mine has been really quite successful via Amazon sales. But she still has to do other work to take her up to an income she can live off. Like acting, very few get a good income out of it.

BigPawsBrown Fri 18-Jul-14 23:19:46

My agent is a big name and has sold lots to the big publishers for big advances, but I've no intention really of trying to live off that or leaving the law.

I currently work for a large regional firm and wrote my novel alongside that, so I hope I could do it at any of my choices but do worry about no free time whatsoever...

HeyBabyBaby71 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:26:04

Don't go small company if you have additional health needs.

Corygal Fri 18-Jul-14 23:26:49

Bigpaws - I hope it's a book about your cat. How is the little lad?

Most novelists have to work a day job too - the plus about job offer 3 is that you could go part time if your novels really kick off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now