Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why aren't Australians upside down?

(61 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Fri 18-Jul-14 21:41:51

I still, at the grand old age of 35, don't understand why the people in Australia aren't standing upside down confused

As you might have guessed, Science/spatial awareness isn't my strong point.

Anyone got the time to explain?

stargirl1701 Fri 18-Jul-14 21:42:13

Gravity.

buffythebarbieslayer Fri 18-Jul-14 21:44:02

Still don't get it

7Days Fri 18-Jul-14 21:46:33

because gravity pulls your feet to the centre of the earth and that's what gives you that down feeling.

There's no up or down in space as there's no gravity

Gravity would mean they don't fall off the world, surely?

I don't get it either, OP, I'm 24 blush

Namechangearoonie123 Fri 18-Jul-14 21:47:33

They are upside down

<relies on OP not going there to check>

How would you like to stand on your head 24/7? That appears to be what you expect them to be doing...

TheTravellingLemon Fri 18-Jul-14 21:47:42

They are.

happylittlevegemites Fri 18-Jul-14 21:47:55

We aren't standing upside down, you Brits are ;)

BuildYourOwnSnowman Fri 18-Jul-14 21:49:19

Upside down in relation to what? Why do you not wonder why people in the uk aren't walking upside down?

Look at a solar system model and how the earth moves - down is central an up is pointing out towards space

Up is not space above the uk with down being space below Australia

HoneyDragon Fri 18-Jul-14 21:49:45

So if you are upside down in space you don't feel upside down?

The thing that makes things fall down is gravity. That works from the centre of the earth outwards, so 'pulls' everybody in whether they ar ein the UK, Australia, China, wherever.

If you stand on the North Pole do you get dizzy? grin

(I'm joking before anyone says anything)

whereisshe Fri 18-Jul-14 21:50:36

Down is the middle of the earth, whichever way that is. You're just too used to squares. Also, North is the bottom of the map grin...

BridgettRousselot Fri 18-Jul-14 21:51:29

They are upside down, they just cling to the earth in the same way we do, by gravity pulling them towards the middle of the earth.

AtYourCervix Fri 18-Jul-14 21:51:31

What about babies?

After 5 months being upside down they get turned up the other way and then we wonder why they cry. hmm

flappityfanjos Fri 18-Jul-14 21:52:43

Because our concepts of up and down are relative to the planet's gravitational pull, not to some standard that applies throughout the universe. Up is towards the sky, down is towards the earth. There isn't a top and bottom of the planet, there isn't a top and bottom of space.

Australians aren't upside down for exactly the same reason that you're not upside down.

BridgettRousselot Fri 18-Jul-14 21:53:35

No wonder ten percent of babies have harlequin colour change, it is hard work getting used to gravity.

I never thought about babies being used to being upside down...

Poor things sad They have every reason to cry!

buffythebarbieslayer Fri 18-Jul-14 21:54:31

I am clever about certain things but space stumps me sorry!

AtYourCervix Fri 18-Jul-14 21:59:03

Harlequin colour change is really cool. I've only seen a few but it's fascinating.

I just googled harlequin colour change, please tell me it's painless for the baby - it looks very dramatic.

'Down' just means whichever way gravity is pulling you.

Let go of that Cartesian way of thinking and embrace the relativity!

MavisGrind Fri 18-Jul-14 22:24:06

Sort of related but possibly not...... Was watching Star Wars V earlier and wondered if there are elements of the universe where there are planets which are close to each other? It's just that the general 'space shots' were like the space we see from earth.....lots of small points of light.

Also googled Harlequin colour change - had no idea!

AtYourCervix Fri 18-Jul-14 22:26:44

The transient colour thing is harmless. Just looks dramatic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now