Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

There has been NO collections for the class reps this year.

(82 Posts)
QuintessentiallyQS Fri 18-Jul-14 19:15:13

I dont think anybody has reminded anyone to start collecting, and I think that is good.

I saw a mum with an envelope in the school playground and I asked her "Are you collecting for the reps" and she said "No, I am a rep, I am collecting for the teacher, but I would really like to put an end to collections for reps, bah-humbug". So maybe thats whats happening?

DrJuno Fri 18-Jul-14 19:31:22

Class reps get a gift? Why?

I have never heard of this it's ridiculous

Muskey Fri 18-Jul-14 19:40:18

I can't stand ours so I would not very politely say on your bike

QuintessentiallyQS Fri 18-Jul-14 21:49:08

It is usually £3-5 for the reps, 5-10 for the teachers/tas, so for a class of 30 kids, they get flowers and John Lewis vouchers, there is usually 2-3 of them.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 18-Jul-14 22:08:43

Is this class reps things a private school thing? I've only heard of it on mumsnet and I am a teacher!

NCFTTB Fri 18-Jul-14 22:15:40

Class reps get gifts?! Do they organise their own? News to me!

What does a class rep do? And please for the live of fuck nobody do it at DS1's school. I'd have to slag the beast who I know would want to do it.

Pico2 Fri 18-Jul-14 22:24:13

What do the class reps do that qualify for that sort of gift? You're looking at 50% of what the teacher/TAs get. Surely their efforts a minimal (though voluntary) compared to teachers/TAs.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 18-Jul-14 22:53:54

I was a class rep and would have been embarrassed to get a gift - though this was never on the cards anyway, except for one year when the teacher organising the class rep system bought us all chocolate buttons!

Hassled Fri 18-Jul-14 22:55:22

I have never heard of a class rep getting a gift. Seems bizarre.

We had to give £10 for our class reps, thought that was a bit much really.

onestepbeyond Fri 18-Jul-14 22:57:15

What is a class rep please?

MrsBungle Fri 18-Jul-14 22:57:16

What is a class rep? I've never heard of this

KaFayOLay Fri 18-Jul-14 22:58:12

Is a class rep a child or parent confused?

GormlessNormTheGardenGnome Fri 18-Jul-14 22:58:35

So who gets the person organising the rep's gift a gift? Then will someone else have to organise a collection for the person who organised the collection for the rep?

rollonthesummer Fri 18-Jul-14 23:02:05

Class rep?

I've been a mum for 13 years and a teacher for longer and have never heard of one! Are these state schools?

PandasRock Fri 18-Jul-14 23:03:47

Our class reps do a 2 year stint, and there is a fair amount involved. Admittedly it's hardly at-the-coalface stuff, but I haven't (and won't be) stepped up so fair play to them.

Our reps got a spa day as a thank you (rather them than me), parents who wanted to put a fiver in the pot.

In return we have had punctual, weekly emails rounding up everyhting we needed to know about the week ahead - from scheduled events (with added info on drop off/pick up/parking/whatever) to the minutiae of topics and assorted crap required for day to day stuff (you,know, the donations of corks/foil/plastic bags/pebbles etc), with advance notice of dress up days, poetry days, trips and outings (and kit required) etc. oh, and regular reminders of the passwords needed for the parent/pupil sections of the website.

A fiver was a bargain, tbh.

HibiscusIsland Fri 18-Jul-14 23:06:33

Yes state schools. it's a mum who emails parents about meet ups, help that the pta need and does collections for staff present and card

Heels99 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:07:30

Never heard of this. Agree is ridiculous.

Heels99 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:08:59

Just set up a closed Facebook group for your class parents the same stuff gets done via that. Surely to god you don't need to nominate one parent to spoon feed the others all ŷear?

Heels99 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:10:00

To clarify, we do have class reps but we don't get them gifts. They are part of the PTA and just ask for helpers when needed. Any other stuff gets done via facebook

roseypeach Fri 18-Jul-14 23:11:08

Our school has class reps but it's a child in the class who is nominated by other pupils/staff to represent their form and put any ideas forward etc.

Floggingmolly Fri 18-Jul-14 23:12:33

Ten quid per child for the class rep?? shock

Notfootball Fri 18-Jul-14 23:13:40

I'm a class rep and I cannot believe I didn't get a present! Those fuckers call me up at 6:30am to ask if it's mufti day, they owe me big time.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 18-Jul-14 23:16:46

State schools? Really? I have NEVER heard of these. Is it a London thing?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now