Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What London shows are good to take teenagers to ATM - thinking of going to something on Wednesday?

(58 Posts)

Hi, We're visiting DGP's for a few days next week. As they live near London I'm thinking of making the most of the opportunity and possibly taking DC (15 and 12) to "something in London" mid-week.

Thought I'd ask my friends here for any recommendations as I've not much idea of what's on (having lived out here in the stix for over 10 yrs)

We'd like interesting, well-written, accessible - is that too tall an order or does anything come to mind? - especially if you and yours have enjoyed on similar trip. Many thanks thanks

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 18-Jul-14 17:41:11

Wicked.

Quejica Fri 18-Jul-14 17:43:50

Billy Elliott is very good.

I wondered about Billy Elliott - seems good and inspiring. ds(12) has even mentioned taking up ballet like his DSis recently - but he's generally pretty game for anything smile - not sure it will actually happen, but it might do if we went to this!

Will have to google both of those suggestions. Thanks x

We took dd2 and her friend to see, 'Wicked' last summer and they both loved it.

What's Wicked all about Remus and Galaxy?

( clueless small town dweller who also can't be bothered to do own research grin )

It's based on Wizard of Oz, and is about the wicked witch being not really very wicked. It's okay - the songs aren't v good, but the story is alright. The teens loved it.

I'm sure a big part of it is probably the whole occasion Remus? I remember loving going to something in London for a special outing when I was little - having my pic taken standing in a line with friends by the fountains in Trafalgar Square smile
I was about 6 though, so easily impressed (compared to teenagers?)

TheWhispersOfTheGods Fri 18-Jul-14 18:26:39

I love wicked, I think the songs are good! It's the wizard of oz from the other side, the wicked witch of the west and the East and the good witch at uni together, and basically how propaganda works.

angeltulips Fri 18-Jul-14 18:27:48

I took my teenage nephews to see The Commitments a couple of weeks ago - they loved it!

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 18-Jul-14 18:28:58

The songs in Wicked are great. Its very popular with teens. I loved it when I saw it as well.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 18-Jul-14 18:30:25

Can't stand, 'Defying Gravity.' I like, 'Popular.'

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 18-Jul-14 18:32:00

I'd say Wicked, but Billy Elliot is also great too.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 18-Jul-14 18:33:23

Yes I much prefer Popular but defying gravity seems to be the most popular (ha ha) song that people know.

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 18-Jul-14 18:34:44

smile

ExcuseTypos Fri 18-Jul-14 18:45:08

I would say Billy Elliot is much better than Wicked, especially if you have a ds. Wicked is a very 'teenage girl show' I think. I didn't see many boys there at all.

BOFster Fri 18-Jul-14 18:48:07

Dd1 and her friends (a mixed group) enjoyed Jersey Boys when they went to London- I couldn't tell you anything about it though.

hotmamalovespavlova Fri 18-Jul-14 18:52:04

We went to see Stomp last year and it was amazing, upbeat and fun. It's been going for years lots of different age groups in the audience all enjoyed it.
My teenage daughter went with the school and they all raved about it.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 18-Jul-14 19:02:36

39 Steps is fun if your budget won't stretch to the big musicals (tickets normally available on the cheap).
Matilda is great but tickets may not be available.

gandalfcat Fri 18-Jul-14 19:04:54

Miss Saigon is back on after nearly 30 years and is receiving great reviews (I'm taking 5 teens there next week!) and also doing Billy Elliot (again!) Love it, but language a bite ripe at times, if that is likely to upset anyone.

De-railing my own thread slightly (why break the habit of a life-time grin) I'm thinking we actually might go to see a movie - DCs have been mentioning "How to train your dragon 2" (which I see has got some favourable comments on review sites, comparing well to the original) and am thinking if we went to see it at one of the big cinemas in Leicester Square, such as the Odeon, we could still get that lights of London feel to things, and maybe still have enough money for a bowl of noodles in China town!
Am enjoying watching the clips though so thanks for all your suggestions.
Think Billy Elliott would be our favourite from ideas so far thanks

Have a look at the Prince Charles Cinema too.

Serafinaaa Fri 18-Jul-14 19:08:48

It's been a while since I've done it but I think you can queue at the official Ticket booth in covent garden in the morning and get vastly cut price tickets for whatever has space that night. It's a gamble but I've seen some great musicals that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now