Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pooing in the workplace

(61 Posts)
3PacketsOfCrisps Fri 18-Jul-14 10:13:26

Yes or no?

Our manager has recently fitted the 2 cubicles with locks and we have to sign for a key each time.

This is because someone wasn't cleaning up after them!

This can lead to embarassment if someone has the key for your door and are waiting for you to "finish"

hmm

cogitosum Fri 18-Jul-14 10:16:16

I have ibs and this is my absolute worst nightmare.

Incidentally i don't leave the cubicle in a mess but not much you can do about smell (tmi)

smoothieooo Fri 18-Jul-14 10:17:21

Yes, absolutely!

That's what they're there for after all, although I understand it's not ideal should someone be waiting for your cubicle. We have also had issues in our workplace with people leaving the cubicles in a dreadful mess (all professional women hmm ) so maybe a key is the answer!

Doubtfuldaphne Fri 18-Jul-14 10:19:14

Same here I have ibs and would hate that. It's a bit much asking you to get a key!
I actually had to leave a job because the loo had no lock and was in a bodged together booth directly behind people's desks, so no privacy at all!

3PacketsOfCrisps Fri 18-Jul-14 10:20:02

I also have IBS and when I gotta go, I gotta go!

Only I am paranoid about the smell! Why is there so much stigma attached to pooing? Everyone does it!

What's the deal with people leaving cubicles in a dreadful mess? I remember it being talked about very sternly in assembly at secondary school as if people were doing it deliberately. Is it just poor toilet training habits or do they have ishoos?

3PacketsOfCrisps Fri 18-Jul-14 10:20:43

the loo had no lock and was in a bodged together booth directly behind people's desks, so no privacy at all

shock

gobbin Fri 18-Jul-14 10:27:10

I would regard that as a gross invasion of privacy and would feel like I was being treated as a child.

I have Crohns and, like the IBS sufferers above I often have a 10 second 'window' between feeling the need to go and going. To have to find a key holder up to ten times a day would be embarrassing. I now have a stoma which needs emptying regularly - can you imagine how embarrassing this would be? I'd demand my own key!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 18-Jul-14 15:56:36

our work loo is unisex, there are two on one side marked ladies and two opposite marked men. I dread going as for some reason it feels wrong to stand at a sink washing hands beside a bloke.

WipsGlitter Fri 18-Jul-14 15:59:44

Can I recommend poo pourri for the smell www.poopourri.com

3PacketsOfCrisps Fri 18-Jul-14 16:03:08

Well manager checked Employee rights beforehand and apparently it's all above board!

ToffeeMoon Fri 18-Jul-14 16:26:19

Surely there's only one key for each door? Why would someone have the key if you're already in there?

I think it's close to an abuse of human rights to have to beg for a key (and therefore announce your toilet habits) several times a day.

I never leave loos in a mess. Even public ones. I hate to think of someone having to clean up after me.

EvilStepMam Fri 18-Jul-14 16:31:22

No!! My cheeks refuse to unclench anywhere other than my own home.

BulletLaVolta Fri 18-Jul-14 16:32:46

Nope wouldnt work for me. I poo lots (medical problem) when I have to go I dont have long.

I never leave a mess and there is air freshner in loo, I am not embarrassed at all but it would be annoying to get a key evrytime.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 18-Jul-14 16:33:54

DH has got a poo smearer at work. It's a building site and someone keeps decorating the inside of the thunder boxes ... it's fucking grim.

I used to have IBS and the key thing would have mortified me too...

Purplecircle Fri 18-Jul-14 16:40:55

I go to clients offices all the time, often 10 different ones in a month. In every single ladies toilet cubicle is a sign about leaving it how you would expect to find it.
I just wonder who the hell these animals are. I know that people poo at work, I try to avoid it but sometimes it has to be done. Yes it smells and you can't avoid it. If there is a toilet brush I'd use it if it needed it
But seriously who are these women that leave toilet cubicles in an unfit state for the next person? We're humans not animals!

JazzyThistle Fri 18-Jul-14 16:45:47

No, never

CharlieSierra Fri 18-Jul-14 16:48:51

We have the same thing with having to put a sign up, even had poo put in the sanitary bins before now. Again all professional women. Grim.

WatchingSeaMonkeys Fri 18-Jul-14 16:52:42

The best poos are at work!! I'm a firm fan of them. You do get some grotty buggers though!

We used to have a "nester" at work, who would fill the toilet with loo roll & then crap on top of it - and not flush!

Next poor sod in would gag & press the flush - making the whole lot rise up towards your wide-eyed face before sinking back down & completely refusing to go anywhere....

We never found out who it was.....

PrivateBenjamin Fri 18-Jul-14 16:59:10

I have a secret toilet at work. I'm so grateful for it. The ordinary toilets are fine for a wee but surely everyone wants privacy and not to have to poo when there are colleagues in the same room, only separated by a flimsy cubicle.

The asking for a key thing is really invasive. Am also baffled by women leaving the toilets in a mess. It has never occurred to me to smear poo on walls, surely that's harder work than just wiping like normal?

MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 18-Jul-14 17:03:14

I can't, I just can't. The idea just makes my buttocks clench so tight that I need a crowbar to prise them apart again.

CheesyBadger Fri 18-Jul-14 17:05:28

Take a little perfume spray maybe?

specialsubject Fri 18-Jul-14 17:07:25

box of matches - not to burn the place down but to deal with the smell. Something about methane, I think.

CulturalBear Fri 18-Jul-14 17:07:26

grin at WatchingSeaMonkeys' 'nester'

I used to avoid it, but now am in the yes camp - I don't often get the choice, if I need to go, I need to go.

There is a real art to it though. I always go to the one a long way away, where there are three loos. The trick is to time it so no-one can decipher that you are connected to The Smell.

So, if you go in and see someone at the sink, you have to hold it back til they leave, then you're ok. If there is one other person using the facilities, you must time it so you don't leave the loo at the same time (awkward eye contact). If there are two, you might be able to get away with it if you finish and are washing up before they emerge (as it could be either of the 'others' responsible.

The ideal is no-one in at the start, no-one there during, and no-one there on the exit. If there are people queueing (happens sometimes), then it's a strict hold off and hide until you don't have an audience to witness your scented walk of shame.

I have been caught out in the mutual poo-off deadlock though when there have been me and one or even two others in flagrante, all trying to hold off. Usually someone gives up and makes a bolt for freedom. I, on the other hand, have done lots of strategic hiding...

Signing for keys would simply kill off this beautiful dance of toiletry etiquette...

Frogisatwat Fri 18-Jul-14 17:08:47

Private Benjamin. . I sought out a secret toilet in every office I worked in...Every now and then you would meet someone from the same department waiting outside which was always a little bit blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now