Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

if you are knowledgeable re baby birds please reply! (no not the usual fallen out of nest situation)

(120 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Fri 18-Jul-14 03:07:09

Have house martins nesting in my porch, there are 4 chicks, still very fuzzy, eyes not fully open.
Mother and father fly back and forth all day, often till at least 9pm , feeding them, chicks are rarely left alone for more than a few minutes ( i know this as i can see through window, but the parents have never minded me and DP going in and out ; we often leave front door open.. they have often flown around our heads and carried on feeding - they seem to know we are no threat)
The mother is always on the nest at night. No idea where the father goes but by morning he's back helping with the feeding
Since early evening both parents have not appeared. It's now 3am, mother still not on nest. There's a big thunder storm right now.
(don't know if relevant) Would parents ever abandon chicks? e.g. if knew a storm was coming? If they are not back by morning, what should I do? How long can they survive without feeding?
I live about 15 miles from a famous wildlife hospital. Obviously I'd only take them there as a last resort. So how long should I leave it for if parents don't show? Really odd as they have been the most attentive parents, almost oblivious to myself, DP, and neighbours

IAmANightOwl Sat 19-Jul-14 17:30:20

Awww, thanks for posting the picture alltoomuch, they're so cute with their little downy tufts and angry looking beaks! grin The nest is almost as impressive - true craftsmanship at work there grin

You should definitely volunteer if you have the time, it is an amazing experience. Nature really is fascinating (although it is also cruel and heartbreaking all at the same time).

TheSpottedZebra Sat 19-Jul-14 17:41:26

Can I bump this thread to ask about a wood pigeon please?

There is an adult one in my garden - injured wing and it can't fly. It's jsut hopping round, hiding in corners, and looks quite poorly. It's been there 6 hrs or so?

i have 3 cats, who amazingly are on the other side of the garden, in the shady bit. Quite a big garden so they've not yet clocked it, but I suspect that they will eventually unless I keep them away. They are old cats now so may or may not 'finish it off', but would certainly stress it. There are dogs on either side, foxes at night, and a ton of magpies everywhere.

What should I do re pigeon? NB there is NO WAY that I could despatch it, even if it were the kindest thing to do, which I suspect it is. Is there anyone who would take on a clearly injured and sick woodpigeon, would you know? There are trees full of them here, so it would be as a kindness rather then to ensure more pigeons, iyswim.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 19-Jul-14 17:42:33

Sorry - to make it clear - I will keep the cats away, I am not about to set the cats on it, nor will I feed it to dogs, foxes. I just meant that there is no safe place to place it.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:02:20

sad about baking babies under tin roof :-(

Here's a couple more (fuzzy) pix of the fuzzy foursome

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:03:25

well, three actually. one seems to be at the bottom of the pile most the time!

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:04:29

these are from the photos i took the other day.. i've not attempted to do any since although they are so unbothered by us…. but I have a fear of nest leaping! trying to find something to put on the porch floor as one of the chicks does tend to drape himself over the edge!

Couldn't be any cuter eh..,,

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:05:30

a lot of wildlife centres will take pigeons. whereabout are you? i worked for a vet that even took them but they had aviary cages outside.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:06:15

do you or neighbour have shed, could you put it in box in shed whilst you try and find a carer

Stratter5 Sat 19-Jul-14 20:08:40

I take in injured pigeons, via the local vets and wildlife sanctuary, whereabouts are you? All vets will treat wildlife for free, even if it is simply to PTS a suffering animal. Can you get it to a vet?

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:08:49

in fact i know of two vets i've taken pigeons to and i can't believe a wildlife centre would turn down, so you need to ring around.
also perhaps worth ringing a pigeon club i.e. for racing pigeons, might be able to advise

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:09:38

could you tell us what town or at least county assuming you are UK?

Stratter5 Sat 19-Jul-14 20:12:57

Fuck no, don't ring anyone to do with racing pigeons. They kill any bird that gets lost, etc. I have a sneaky deal with the vets, I take the racing pigeons and nurse them back to health, they take the identifying rings off for me. Then, when they're ready, they join the colony in the town square.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:13:12

I really want to, Nightowl. Trouble is i'm on JSA right now and can't afford the petrol though it's only about 30 miles round trip if that but so skint right now as having to pay for a storage unit and can barely afford to run car (but need it as in an extremely rural area with no public transport..but wildlife abound!). once i've got rid of storage i might consider.. (if am still out of work) i've always wanted to vol there. perhaps when i'm working more affordable.. be an evening wildlife 'ambulance' driver. they have seen so much of me over the years.. have taken so many birds, rabbits etc! even an angry injured seagull. Obviously they don't pay expenses… so i have to be able to get there if i vol'd (i will always take injured animals there though, no matter what)

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:14:27

really Stratter? ok wrong advice sorry was racking brain, that;s awful.
Some vets are ethical… but yeh unless you work there you're not going to know for sure. one i worked at kept pigeon in aviary for months before releasing but they are sadly not the norm I guess

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:15:08

(by not the norm, they even took in a wild rat and kept it in rehab for months! and we had hedgehogs etc etc.. they never said no… )

Madrigals Sat 19-Jul-14 20:16:22

Very glad to read the parents returned smile We saved a nest of fallen birds this year as poor house martens had nested in a nest that wasn't stable sad

Local wildlife rescue said they were sure at least 2 of the 3 would survive - they had fallen such a long way but luckily into a soft bed of undergrowth, so were ok.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:16:26

glad you have a vet like that Stratter5

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:17:16

the nest is indeed a work of art. it's actually full of horse hair! we are next to an equestrian centre as well as many stables . nice to see the hair getting used!

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:18:13

just look at that middle face in the last photo. couldn't be more comical or cartoonish! i giggle every time i look up at the nest. they are absurd looking but so adorable

Bassetfeet Sat 19-Jul-14 20:46:53

So pleased that the nestlings are ok OP. Lovely thread .

Roofers took down my nest in the eaves one year so I bought an artificial one from reputable source. The birds returned ....oh I love that first chee chee I hear in the sky .....and built a new nest on top of the artificial one .
I loved to lean out of the landing window and whistle to the babies .

Sadly no aerial dolphins this year . They have gone . No colony nearby. Numbers of swallows and martins are down hugely where I live .
Your pics made me smile .

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:48:47

didn't know you could get artificial nests! great idea. just found evidence of old nest where there's a missing brick in front of Dp's falling apart cottage . It's a mess… no wonder they build a clever new one!

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 20:50:03

today is first day the babies have made the chee chee sound (that i've noticed , anyway) they just did it to me as i stepped into porch! v quiet but definitely a chick sized chirp

TheSpottedZebra Sat 19-Jul-14 20:56:41

Gosh, really sorry to have missed your replies re pigeon. I did call the pigeon fanciers, but the chap was honest and said that they'd just wring his neck. The vets I rang said that they would also just PTS. We were going to take him to vet, and just as I was getting the cat box out (so at back of shed) the kids moved the box it was under and it hopped away. The cat went for it, so my DS grabbed the cat... Just as I'd got them all inside, a sparrowhawk took it.

I feel like the crappest animal lover today.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 21:02:54

bloody hell that's horrible re neck wring :-(
Sparrowhawk wow! hope pigeon was put out of misery quickly! not your fault

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 19-Jul-14 21:03:27

hawk must have been watching and waiting. my friend saw one steal a baby robin from nest recently :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now