Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What would you say is the best Zoo in the UK?

(182 Posts)
Crutchlow35 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:26:04

I don't rate Edinburgh really. A lot of good things but a lot I don't like.

We are looking at a UK break in February (only family time we can get before October 2015 when we are doing Disney) so thinking about a trip somewhere with a lovely hotel and something for DS to do - most theme parks are shut so considering a good zoo.ANy recommendations?

Thanks

Hismumhermum Thu 17-Jul-14 13:28:04

I have only been to edinburgh and Chester zoos (in the uk) I think. Chester is a million times better, apart from the penguin enclosures.

Stratter5 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:31:22

Colchester. Loooove Colchester Zoo.

sezamcgregor Thu 17-Jul-14 13:32:10

The best zoo that I've been to was Banham Zoo in Norfolk. We camped next door and spent the whole day there - went to all of the talks etc, it was one of my favourite family days out.

Longleat was also fantastic and cannot wait to go again when DS is older (next summer perhaps...)

We've also been to Chester, Edinburgh and Bristol Zoos - but were not as good as the two above. We're returning to Bristol Zoo this summer though as we have friends down there and I was a bit shock at the galapagos turtles! grin

NickNacks Thu 17-Jul-14 13:32:26

Came here to also say Colchester Zoo.

magimedi Thu 17-Jul-14 13:32:40

Jersey - Gerald Durrell's zoo.

www.durrell.org/wildlife-park/

And lots of other things to do that are not weather dependent. You can get some good package deals.

Hairylegs47 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:33:00

Knowlesly Safari Park is our favourite and are happy to recommend.

Flamingo land was always good too. Not just animals but a theme park too. But I think it may be closed in Feb.

We didn't rate Edinburgh, in fact after our visit there it was 7 years before going to another Zoo.

GalaxyInMyPants Thu 17-Jul-14 13:33:55

Chester
then marwell

weegiemum Thu 17-Jul-14 13:33:56

I think Edinburgh is brilliant, apart from the hills!

sinningsaint Thu 17-Jul-14 13:34:41

For a traditional zoo I would also say Chester as there are a lot of other things to do in/around chester and it is IMO one of the most beautiful towns in the UK (no i'm not from chester!!) however a family favourite of ours is actually South Lakes Animal Park. It is the one where a worker was mauled to death last year but several members of my family have participated in the 'keeper for a day' excursion and all have said they don't understand how it could have happened as there are so many safety precautions around the enclosures, so it hasn't put us off!

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Thu 17-Jul-14 13:34:54

I think flamingo land may be open in feb, for a couple of months before they open for the season they open just the zoo bit, and it's much cheaper than the theme park! I would check.

We love Chester zoo and Blackpool zoo.

Crutchlow35 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:34:58

I love Jersey zoo and have been looking at costs so that is a definite possibility.

Thanks for all of your tips. Just a bit annoying it is February but better than nothing at all.

Allalonenow Thu 17-Jul-14 13:35:58

Chester Zoo would get my vote, and there are lots of other things to do in the area as well.

Crutchlow35 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:37:23

weegiemum - Edinburgh have come a long way but IMO they invested heavily in the pandas and did nothing to improve the lives of the big cats. The cheetah enclosure is particularly poor and the animals just look so sad.

HerBigChance Thu 17-Jul-14 13:37:41

I love Edinburgh Zoo - plenty of room to amble about in it. I even quite liked the hills.

Stratter5 Thu 17-Jul-14 13:37:57

Oh, I long to go to Jersey Zoo. I wanted to be Gerald Durrell when I was little grin

CalamitouslyWrong Thu 17-Jul-14 13:40:58

I think the lions have it alright at Edinburgh. The other big cats less so.

KurriKurri Thu 17-Jul-14 13:44:54

I quite like Dublin Zoo (yes I know not UK but if you're planning a holiday Dublin or Jersey - not much difference in travel)

I like Edinburgh although you don't get much chance to look at the pandas, it's improved massively since my student days when there was a very unhappy elephant pacing up and down on concrete. The penguins are fab.

Jersey zoo is great too.
Of course there is London zoo, if you fancied a city break - I haven't been for years though, I imagine its pretty expensive

Bonsoir Thu 17-Jul-14 13:46:54

I like Port Lympne.

SwedishEdith Thu 17-Jul-14 13:50:02

Not been to many but the Welsh Mountain Zoo is lovely plus places to go in North Wales

SwedishEdith Thu 17-Jul-14 13:50:37

Not been to many but the Welsh Mountain Zoo is lovely plus places to go in North Wales

MehsMum Thu 17-Jul-14 13:54:28

Marwell.
Colchester Zoo also pretty good.
Not sure if Monkey World in Dorset counts as a zoo, but it has the most fantastic lemur enclosure.

If you plan your location, you might even manage to get to both. Find a B&B in the New Forest, say...

googoodolly Thu 17-Jul-14 13:54:44

Colchester or South Lakes.

itsahen Thu 17-Jul-14 14:01:15

Chester is brilliant and loads of new bits being added

misstiredbuthappy Thu 17-Jul-14 14:03:16

Chester going there tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now