Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

He claimed a piece of Sudan to make his DD a princess?

(70 Posts)
Goldmandra Tue 15-Jul-14 13:40:03

I know we all want to make our children happy but this feels like trivialising the terrible issues people who live in this part of the world have to endure.

BBC link

Am I being a spoilsport and actually should be going all starry-eyed and saying what a wonderful father he is?

Goldmandra Tue 15-Jul-14 13:41:01

Sorry, should just make it clear. It is a piece of desert between Egypt and Sudan.

SantanaLopez Tue 15-Jul-14 13:42:46

<vomits>

TheXxed Tue 15-Jul-14 13:43:01

I eye rolled when I first saw it, but I am a self confessed spoil sport.

dawndonnaagain Tue 15-Jul-14 13:44:30

Oh ffs.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:44:59

He has 3 children? Where is he going to claim for the other two? grin

thewilding Tue 15-Jul-14 13:45:08

"Egypt, Sudan and the United Nations will have to recognise the Kingdom of North Sudan before she's officially the daughter of a king."

I suspect not

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:46:02

I can just see the thread now "AIBU to think my dad should have given me a kingdom too?"

nancy75 Tue 15-Jul-14 13:47:35

If my Dad claims anywhere for me I want somewhere with oil, not just sand

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:49:50

Is this the piece of land that neither of the neighbouring countries wants? Both are saying it belongs to the other because it is worthless? I think i saw it on QI.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:51:54

My dad used to own a beach. Well, his dad and uncles did. Dad an his brothers used to charge people onto it suring the summer and then the council claimed it so no more beach money grin

PeterParkerSays Tue 15-Jul-14 13:52:47

She's 7 and wants to be a princess. What's he going to do when she's 9 and wants to be an astronaut.

The word "Prat" was invented for him really wasn't it. It'd just be laughable if he wasn't wading into an area with huge geo-political problems and refugees and he's pi$$ing around with a flag wanting to make his spoilt rich daughter happy.

Goldmandra Tue 15-Jul-14 13:53:03

So the territorial dispute is about not wanting the land?

I wonder if he's considered carefully the liabilities he might be taking on then if whole countries are fighting in order to not have sovereignty.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:55:27

I would hazard a guess and say this is less to do with her wanting to be a princess and more to do with a dickhead wanting to be 'that guy' who does things no-one has done before. This is about his ego- i bet he'd have done it or something similar in the absence of any daughters.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 15-Jul-14 13:57:38

Like my idiotic family member who, when informed of his child's wobbly tooth, didnt leave it to fall out itself or give it a little wiggle with his finger, but rather tied a string from it onto the back of his ride-on lawnmower and pulled it out. Because it makes 'great' story hmm prick.

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarb Tue 15-Jul-14 14:19:04

I'm with STOP and Peter on this. Its vomit and he sounds like a twonk.

AndHarry Tue 15-Jul-14 14:24:36

I saw this yesterday and thought the guy was an egotistical idiot. He sounds like the kind of person who hires a disabled guide at Disneyland to jump the ride queues.

His 'nation-building' plan are lovely and all but he clearly doesn't have a clue.

I read that there are 2 pieces of disputed land. Both countries want the other piece. The agreement was whoever claims this piece of unwanted land forfeits the other wanted piece of land, so no one is claiming this part.

thatstoast Tue 15-Jul-14 14:40:30

I bet the other parents love him...

Please tell me he needed to be in Africa on business or something. It's a million times worse if he made the trip just to put a flag up.

BeCool Tue 15-Jul-14 14:43:21

what an utter cunt! for 1000 reasons, he's a cunt.

I'm sure he thinks he is utterly amazeballs and DadOfTheFuckingYear.

CornChips Tue 15-Jul-14 14:44:20

Oh FFS.

CornChips Tue 15-Jul-14 14:45:53

I actually said to DH once (after watching some documentary) 'So, what must one do in order to be a Countess?'

Hi reply was; 'Marry a Count'.

Seriously, what an utter dickhead. (dad in story, not DH).

APlaceOnTheCouch Tue 15-Jul-14 14:48:22

This is awful especially in the context of the ongoing conflicts across Sudan. What an . . . .actually I have no words to do justice to what this man is.

Sometimes I despair <head desk>

PinkSquash Tue 15-Jul-14 14:48:45

What a twat. Emilys birthday next year is going to be shit in comparison.

CornChips Tue 15-Jul-14 14:49:40

I forsee a march into Poland for her High School Prom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now