Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Extreme selfishness, everyday examples.

(266 Posts)
Ledkr Sat 12-Jul-14 16:46:40

Was at Thorpe park today courtesy of my mumsnet annual pass (thanks again) dh had taken dd1 who is 12 on the rides and as there's not much for dd2 age 3 to go on I decided to take her to the little made beach and paddling pool. It opened at 11 so I got there just before and stood there with a few others to wait for it to open.
When it did it resembled the charge of the light brigade and I stood no chance on my own with the buggy and bags as people raced for the sunbeds and umbrellas. I had a blanket to sit on but would have liked an umbrella cos dd is a redhead. I was amazed to see people taking two or three of about ten umbrellas for themselves leaving people like me without one.
I see this sort of thing often and wonder if it's just me and I should start being more selfish and grabby.
I just wondered if anyone else has seen this "every man for himself" attitude lately.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sat 12-Jul-14 16:50:07

It's certainly got worse and completely ruined the Harry potter studio tour for me to the point I try and deter anyone from going!

Nancy66 Sat 12-Jul-14 16:54:05

Was at a seminar recently where they provided a buffet lunch - massive stampede and as well as loading their plates, people were grabbing apples and bags of crisps and shoving them into their pockets and bags.

By the time the dawdlers got to the food there was hardly anything left. One woman grabbed about 10 bags of crisps and said 'these will do for my kids' packed lunches.'

Stratter5 Sat 12-Jul-14 16:54:17

What happened on the HP studio tour? I was thinking of going this summer, but you're making me reconsider.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sat 12-Jul-14 16:56:54

Just the general elbows at dawn pushing and shoving, unruly children, selfish 'I'm taking a photo get the hell out my way even though you were there first' type behaviour.

Think theme parks and multiply it to within a confined space

thefirstmrsrochester Sat 12-Jul-14 17:11:51

Seat hogging on public transport. Cos your briefcase/shopping bag needs a seat all to itself, usually the window seat giving rise to rolled eyes and much huffing and puffing in response to polite request from other commuters to park their arse down.

Ledkr Sat 12-Jul-14 17:27:45

I love the people who are so desperate for their precious dc to do or see something that they forget any manners and just push them to the front of the queue forsaking all other children who might also like some enjoyment.
Disneyland Paris is hilarious for this, character appears and kids are literally thrust forward in front of other chikdren, autograph books in hand, even Mickey Mouse got pissed off!!

shobby Sat 12-Jul-14 17:35:26

Chelsea flower show, I shall never go again. Took my grandmother in a wheelchair on a RHS members only day, and have never seen such rudeness. When I did manage to manoeuvre the chair to the front of the gardens waiting our turn like civilised people, people just pushed in and stood in front of the chair like my grandmother didn't exist. I'm not backward at coming forward, but even direct comments and requests for them not to stand in front were either ignored or they just tutted and didn't move! I haven't returned since.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sat 12-Jul-14 17:39:53

That's exactly the behaviour we encountered at Harry potter studios ledkr

Greyhound Sat 12-Jul-14 17:46:18

My neighbour who had a structural problem in the back wall of his house.

The top of the wall had become weakened and was bulging out dangerously - very dangerously - over a public thoroughfare. It was only a matter of time before the wall collapsed and killed someone walking underneath.

He refused to do anything about it. In the end, the council demanded he remedy the situation.

To top it all - the miserable old bastard is a millionaire via inheritance.

ApplebyMennym Sat 12-Jul-14 17:51:00

We didn't have any of that when we went on the HP studio tour. Everyone was friendly and polite, no pushing and shoving and I LOVED the timed entry so you can wander without getting caught in a huge crowd. Must have been lucky by the sound of things...

I do agree that people in general do seem to be acting more selfishly. I'm short so like to stand near the front of the mosh pit queue of parents at school pick up time so DS can see me and I'm not waiting for ages. I'm always being shoved out of the way by taller people, many of whom aren't even waiting for children, just standing having a chat with mates or wanting to grab the teacher to whinge at them. It's definitely intentional, never happens to my 6ft3 dh.

Before Easyjet did allocated seating, a friend and I were taken by bus to the waiting aircraft to come home from Cyprus, along with the other passengers.

When the bus doors opened, it was like the starting pistol had been fired for the 100m final! Anyone would think there was a time limit to get on the plane or be left on the tarmac.

I'd never seen such chaos!

SiennaBlake Sat 12-Jul-14 17:54:21

It's people like that that put me off doing things. I'm on a low income so treats like cinema or theme parks take months of saving. It's got to the point now where I don't bother because other people spoil something that's taken so long to earn. It's annoying though.

niceupthedance Sat 12-Jul-14 18:00:44

Waiting to board flight during French air traffic strike, pilot came out to the gate to say we had 45 minutes to load/board plane or we'd miss our slot and have to wait four hours for the next one.

Group of women, among them a z list celeb took AGES to be seated as they wanted to sit together but they hadn't booked seats together. They refused to move out of the other passengers' seats.

Then with 10 minutes to go it transpired that the z lister had brought two suitcases with her but used a male friend's ticket to check it in under his name (he must have checked in then left). So just because she didn't want to pay excess baggage we had to go through the rigmarole of them finding the bag and taking it off the plane.

Obviously we missed the slot. I thought that was massively selfish.

LauraPashley Sat 12-Jul-14 18:02:55

My poor wee dd is always baffled by this, I make her wait her turn and then we get pushed in front of time and time again. Thankfully she has no tact and a foghorn voice ..."why has that lady gone in front of us? Why is that man being so rude? I thought it was rude not to wait your turn" etc etc grin.

fluffyraggies Sat 12-Jul-14 18:03:43

People having their seat reclined (in cattle class) from the moment the seat belt light goes out till the moment it goes back on. I dont want your seat in my face for 5 hours!

People repeatedly talking loudly and/or flashing their bloody mobile phone light around in a cinema once the film's on. An emergency? Fine. Not an emergency - go outside and do your damn chatting and texting!

offtoseethewizard64 Sat 12-Jul-14 18:03:48

shobby people always seem to do that to wheelchair users. My DD is in a wheelchair and the number of times we have taken her to an event where there are things going on in an arena. We find a spot next to the rope in plenty of time before the activity starts, then the latecomers shove their children to the front, who the stand in front of DD. Makes my blood boil. If they want a prime spot, they should get there earlier - not ruin ours.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Jul-14 18:09:51

People on Ipads on museum tours etc-blocking your whole view with their huge screens. sad

Adults who insist on standing at the front when looking at displays and not letting the children stand in front.

Cadbury World where people just hogged stuff to the point where we gave up waiting.

Any attractions that are 'hands on' for DC but one family hogs the exhibit forever with no realisation that people are waiting.

dawndonnaagain Sat 12-Jul-14 18:13:51

offtosee My dd also uses a wheelchair. She learnt to be politely rude by the time she was eight. She's 17 now, people get asked once: 'excuse me, I think you are unaware of the fact that you are blocking my view'. If that doesn't work it's embarrassment time: "Oi, Move out the way for the fucking cripple!" Works, every time! grin

ComeHeather Sat 12-Jul-14 18:15:44

4 showers at swimming pool. Lots of children waiting after their lesson for quick rinse off. woman let's her 2 dc s hog two showers whilst they wash then condition their hair. then strip off and are handed shower gel to wash all over. All done at a leisurely pace with no thought for anyone else. how can people be so unaware of others? I bought my ds1 at long towelling robe thingy so now we whack that on and whizz home for a shower.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Jul-14 18:17:02

Basically anything communal is a nightmare, Carveries, all you can eat buffets. Brings out the selfish en masse.

threepiecesuite Sat 12-Jul-14 18:20:25

When a child spends too long on the coveted swings at the park even though the pushing parent can see there's a queue forming.

Greedy people at buffets too - hate that. There's clearly one chicken skewer per person, don't take four.

TheFirmament Sat 12-Jul-14 18:25:41

Oh god. Friend who used to let her DD hog the swing, then let her put her dolly on the swing and let it have a really long go, before any other kids could have a turn. And this was when we had gone to the park with them - we weren't even strangers! I would say rather pointedly to DS "Yes you will get a go soon, after Dolly's turn!" but friend didn't notice.

My sister is classic too. She hates to impose and beg favours so she won't say "please can you give me a lift to X". Instead she says "I need to be at X at X time" and keeps saying it until you offer. Drives me nuts.

TheFirmament Sat 12-Jul-14 18:27:28

Yes I really hate shared meals in restaurants for this reason. Oh yes it will be such fun getting the dregs of a few veggie side plates when everyone up the other end of the table has grabbed a huge pile of the best bits. But if you say you want to just order your own you're not getting into the spirit angry

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Jul-14 18:30:07

I had a friend who would go to the Pizza Hut salad bar, load the bowl until it was mountainous then put tomatoes in her pockets. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now