Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where do people who have £4000 to spend for a week's holiday go?

(101 Posts)

We usually spend about £2,000 to £2,500 on a week away. 2 adults, 2 kids. We like a pool and sandy beach and all inclusive food but wouldn't mind a resort where there were restaurants nearby. Can't be arsed to go searching for places to eat and definitely do not want to self cater or drive.
It's our wedding anniversary next year and we've decided to pay up to £4,000 for a bit more luxury. Nicer food, less of a school dinners atmosphere at mealtimes. Would love some receommendations please.

DuckSongRocks Sat 12-Jul-14 16:18:08

Depends how far you want to fly, when and how old your kids are.

Sorry but also think your post is in poor taste.

SomeKindOfDeliciousBiscuit Sat 12-Jul-14 16:24:27

What? Why in bad taste?

lucidlady Sat 12-Jul-14 16:25:12

Somewhere like Martinhal in Portugal maybe?

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Sat 12-Jul-14 16:26:54

Would you consider a cruise?

Mrsjayy Sat 12-Jul-14 16:27:15

Why is it poor taste to ask where to go on holiday op what about one on the canaries I loved it or menorca I have never beenbut it looks nice

NickiFury Sat 12-Jul-14 16:27:28

Why in bad taste? confused

Because OP has more money than you to spend on a holiday and you don't like that?

I would probably go on a cruise with that kind of money OP.

anyoldname76 Sat 12-Jul-14 16:28:32

I can't recommend anywhere as I haven't been many places abroad (only drunken clubbing holidays) but my sister went a quiet resort in turkey and said it was fabulous, I'll try and find out the name of the hotel.

DuckSongRocks Sat 12-Jul-14 16:29:55

OP doesn't have more money than me and is perfectly entitled to enjoy a luxury week somewhere she deserves I'm sure.

When there are threads about people saying they've only got £15 to last a week for the food shop and others struggling to return to work I find that in poor taste - my opinion.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Sat 12-Jul-14 16:30:28

If you want nice meal combined with stuff for the DC to do then the Sani resort in Halikidiki is fab. There are different restaurants around a marina that are part of the resort so you can have a little stroll in the evenings.

foxdongle Sat 12-Jul-14 16:36:35

Long or short haul? I would prefer to spend that sort of money on long haul-but that's just me.

We spend about £2-2500 ish short haul.
£4000 ish long haul. that's for 2 adults 2 ch for about a week.
We wont self cater and avoid driving too.
But enjoy cruises.
for e.g. For just over £4000 we have booked Miami for 2 nights followed by a Royal Caribbean cruise around the Bahamas and Key West for 5 nights. Our dcs love cruising.

You could have a look at AI in Cape verde, The Caribbean- Jolly beach Antigua had lovely pools on lovely beach, Mauritius (I think-we went for 9 nights for £900 each but several years ago).

anyoldname76 Sat 12-Jul-14 16:36:47

Christ, I didn't realise you had to be poor or not admit to having a bit of money to post on mumsnet.

I wouldn't do a cruise. I hate them, but horses for courses and all that.

I'd go to Jamaica, Cuba or Mexico.

Possibly the Royal Wings in Turkey for a shorter flight.

Four Seasons in Egypt is poss within your budget too.

Coconutty Sat 12-Jul-14 16:41:16

Any of the Sensatori resorts would do the trick.

Poor taste? Whatever. Obviously didn't see the recent thread about his much people spend on their holidays recently then.

Ludoole Sat 12-Jul-14 16:41:28

Well im stony broke but I dont see why the op shouldnt ask for recommendations on here confused

Cant offer any ideas myself op, but I hope you gind somewhere perfect smile

Ludoole Sat 12-Jul-14 16:42:28

* find

We're scraping by with money and our idea of a holiday is the 4 nights at Haven we're having in September, which I've paid installments since January for.

I don't find the post in poor taste at all - gives me an excuse to window-shop at holidays and to think about where I'd go if I had £4k to play with.

OP, I think I'd do a cruise on one of those proper nice cruise lines with the pools and entertainment places and stuff on board. To somewhere sunny with beaches.

<daydreams>

Mrsjayy Sat 12-Jul-14 16:44:58

There was a thread about sex parties last night I found it poor taste I just didnt read it it is an internet forum im sure people can cope with not reading about a holiday because they only have a tenner to last a week

gymboywalton Sat 12-Jul-14 16:45:47

i would go for longer- a week isn't long enough. go for a fortnight instead.
what time of year, what airport and how old are your kids?

Bowlersarm Sat 12-Jul-14 16:47:11

Nice hotel in Cyprus or Crete?

Ignore the bad taste post. Some people can be very odd.

Minion Sat 12-Jul-14 16:48:07

Christ on a bike!
Poor taste? Here's a healthy dose of reality, swallow it down.
Some people are rich. Some are poor. Some have plenty of money but their lives are empty and the poorest people can be happier than anyone they know.
How the OP spends her money is her choice. Just because others don't or can't, does not mean she cannot ask for help on a forum designed for everyone.
FWIW cancun is an excellent choice. Long flight, but worth it. The food is grand, the service is very good as they cater to a lot of Americans who in my opinion demand a better standard of service than we have here and there's enough outside of the resorts should you want to explore (chitza nitza, xel ha etc), BUT it's a long old way for a week.
Would you consider a 10 dayer?

JsOtherHalf Sat 12-Jul-14 16:50:47

Another recommendation for the Sani resort. It offers everything you want, and the kids club is brilliant. We plan to go again next year.

www.sani-resort.com/en_GB

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Sat 12-Jul-14 16:51:10

I love a holiday thread, it's good for getting ideas or just to hear about people's fab holidays. You could try starting a thread over on the travel bit of mumsnet. You don't gey the snidy comments, just helpful tips.

RJnomore Sat 12-Jul-14 16:53:31

£4k for a holiday is hardly a huge budget!

That poor taste post is on a par with the one that told a poster they were disgusting for thinking of spending £100 on a picnic basket.

The fact of the matter is that unless you are roman abramovich there will always be someone with more money and a bigger budget than you are so deal with it.

Op, I love Italy and while we usually spend around your usual budget, there are some fab AI places you could spend £4k on, or you could upgrade to a suite and do lots of trips and activities to make it memorable. If Italy appeals I can make a few suggestions.

Awakeagain Sat 12-Jul-14 16:56:10

We went to sensatori in Mexico for 10 days but tey do gourmet all inclusive so buffet is available all meal times but had other restaurants that we still
Included in AI but order off the menu and the food was amazing!!!they have reports in Egypt, canaries and Greece I think too - I would go back in a heart beat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now