Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Blocking off a cellar?

(18 Posts)
SunkenDream Sat 12-Jul-14 11:17:37

We live in a Victorian end-terrace, with a cellar that mimics the floor plan of the ground floor. It is damp and unpleasant but we’re not aware that it has ever flooded. I hate it and in an ideal world I’d have the cellar filled in, but that’s not an option finance-wise.

However we could really do with the extra under stairs storage space, so I have daydreamed about blocking the cellar off so that we retain the cellar head and understairs area for storage but with no actual access to the cellar itself, except maybe a trap door in the unlikely event of us needing to get down there. We could have the understairs walls plastered and put some kind of flooring down to make it neat and tidy. Anything would be preferable to the current bare brick and concrete. And I can pretend the cellar with its creepy sacrificial altar stone meat table doesn't exist!

Is this a silly / impossible idea? Could we possibly have a trap door leading to the cellar itself in the event of us having to access it?

Thanks!

grumblepuss Sat 12-Jul-14 16:34:43

Why would you want rid of a cellar? I bloody love ours.
Maybe investigate how to make yours dryer and more useable?
Ours is 90% dry and is effectively our shed - lawn mower decorating stuff etc lives in there.

PilauMice Sat 12-Jul-14 17:25:26

Have you buried someone down there?

JsOtherHalf Sat 12-Jul-14 17:28:00

Dehumidifier helped make mine much more useable?

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 12-Jul-14 17:31:22

I would spend the money to make it a useable space.

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 12-Jul-14 17:32:36

www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/08/16/cool-hidden-spiral-wine-cellars/

Or if you want a trap door these look amazing

MehsMum Sat 12-Jul-14 19:45:18

DH would kill for his own cellar: he moans endlessly that our house hasn't got one. We stashed all sort of crap in the cellar at the last house.

Seriously, check out how much it would cost to dry line and light at least part of it. Or ask your neighbours what they have done with theirs.

You have a cellar. envy

TiggyD Sat 12-Jul-14 20:12:26

Feel free to fill it in and knock £30,000 off your house price.

It would make an excellent kinky sex dungeon.

If you do block access to the sellar make sure you have plenty of air circulating down there via air bricks.

fluffydoge Sat 12-Jul-14 21:07:05

Why would you want to put all your stuff down there and then block it up?

Damnit, I knew there was something I should have had installed when we built an extension. Why did no-one tell me we could have a wine cellar!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 12-Jul-14 23:38:29

Don't block it off, you'll knock loads off your house value. I don't really understand what you want to do tbh.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 12-Jul-14 23:45:35

The stone table is for keeping things cool before fridges not an altar!grin

exexpat Sat 12-Jul-14 23:46:05

The previous owners of my house blocked off all access to the cellar to put in a downstairs loo. I have just reinstated access which is just as well as otherwise I would not have realised that there was a cracked waste pipe by my front door which was leaking water/sewage into the cellar…

If understairs storage is really more useful, then fair enough, but definitely make sure that there is still access, and check the cellar regularly.

Floor it and paint it, and shelve it, and use it for your End of the World Plan storage grin
Hide the trapdoor, and have a secret key hidden somewhere so only you and the family can get in, and stockpile stuff so that if ever the zombie apocalypse worst happens, you can all hide and fort up and survive grin wink

ThedoublelifeofDollyBrown Sun 13-Jul-14 00:25:01

Ha Pilau. I was thinking along similar lines. grin

Very suspicious...

Us children were given the cellar when we were younger. We painted it white and listened to Jason Donovan down there. It was great. Not that I'm suggesting you do exactly that!

Stratter5 Sun 13-Jul-14 01:16:57

This time last year, ours was exactly the same. I've had it sealed and insulated, decorated it, and now it's the most used room in the house. It's cool in the summer, warm in the winter (only have the radiator set on 1), we love it.

Use it, don't block it off, you have the potential for a fantastic extra sitting room down there.

This is ours as it is now, well at Christmas

exexpat Sun 13-Jul-14 13:30:45

Wish I could do something like that with our cellar, Stratter5, but unfortunately the ceiling height is only about 170cm - I'm 5'5"/165cm, so I only have to duck to get through the doors, but the DCs are both taller than me so I'd be the only one able to use it… And we don't have windows. I'm guessing the OP's cellar doesn't have windows either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now