Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

please can I have a little boast?

(24 Posts)
foslady Sat 12-Jul-14 10:21:34

Just me and dd, and so no one here to be happy with as dd is on a school weekend away. Mentioned to a friend in conversation who replied 'that's nice' and then went on about how tired she was (btw always hearing about her dc's achievements and happy for them and ask about it all so I'd hoped for a bit more than that back tbh).

My dd has won the school English shield ptesented only to yr 6! I'm so proud of her, only I find it hard to say it out aloud as I don't want to be seen as one of 'those' mums, so can I say it here?

Allice Sat 12-Jul-14 10:25:08

That's brilliant! Very well done to your daughter!!

Gumps Sat 12-Jul-14 10:26:04

Ah lovely. Well done to your dd.

AlpacaLypse Sat 12-Jul-14 10:26:27

I think you deserve a big boast - well done dd!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 12-Jul-14 10:26:47

Oh that's so great - what a lovely boost for you both!

SportsMixtureSweets Sat 12-Jul-14 10:27:21

No you can't have a little boast.

You should have a huge one.

Congratulations to your dd and to you.

Bet you are thrilled to bits.

Well Done. [Smile]

thefirstmrsrochester Sat 12-Jul-14 10:27:29

Congratulations to your dd thanks
You have every right to be proud, what an achievement for your dd.
Boast away smile

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 12-Jul-14 10:28:04

smile

SportsMixtureSweets Sat 12-Jul-14 10:28:57

Woops. My smile came out all wrong.

PinkSquash Sat 12-Jul-14 10:29:57

flowers congratulations to your DD!

foslady Sat 12-Jul-14 10:32:10

Thank you! I feel as though I've failed in all areas of my life - I'm just so proud that she's been noticed for her hard work. It's been a terrific boost for her for next year at her new school. She managed to get in to the local grammer but said friend and 1 or 2 other pupils have said how she was lucky to scrape in.....only my dd wasn't tutored and they were so she's had her confidence knocked before she begins which I then worry about because I want her to be happy.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 12-Jul-14 12:48:43

Ooh hang on a minute - an untutored child who passes the 11+ Has most definitely not been 'lucky to scrape in!'
Any 'friend' saying such a thing to you or to her is frankly jealous that someone else managed what in current accepted belief is impossible to achieve.

I think you'll find she'll shine when she gets there and will never look back into the shallow pool with which she's been surrounded.

Top marks to her on all counts - and you might want to have a think about your 'friend's' attitude as well. No reason either of you should be made to feel inferior.

JazzyThistle Sat 12-Jul-14 12:50:32

That's lovely to hear, well done to your dd.

HicDraconis Sat 12-Jul-14 12:53:36

Congratulations to your dd on both her amazing achievements flowers

I have no experience of the 11+ but I understand that some of the children who get through with tutoring struggle with the work when they start which your dd hopefully won't do smile that might help her confidence.

Also I wonder if your friend is the type of person who has to make herself feel better by making others feel worse? Who has to make you feel inferior so she can feel superior? In which case I'd be re examining the label "friend".

Hope your dd feels suitably proud of herself!

rugbychick Sat 12-Jul-14 12:56:45

Well done to your dd on getting the English shield! It's also brilliant that your dd got into the grammar school untutored. A friends niece got into a local grammar school with no tutoring and no preparation (niece had been living abroad, and sat the exam 2 weeks after arriving back in the UK). The niece says you can tell the girls who were tutored, as they are really, really struggling with the work load. So your dd will do well. Good luck to her in her new school, and ignore the jealous comments from the others

untutored and got in! fab grin
she did not just scrape in!!

boast away

SportsMixtureSweets Sat 12-Jul-14 13:32:22

I second 'shotgun' comments.

Scraped in indeed!!!! A true friend would be tnrilled for you both. I am thrilled for you both and I don't even know you.

Congratulations.

annielouise Sat 12-Jul-14 14:12:09

You're very patient if you put up with comments such as she was lucky to scrape in. I'd have sharply retorted she got in completely on merit and didn't need coaching like most. You don't need to put up with that and these are so called friends - just jealousy. Your DD has done brilliantly and I'd be telling her imagine if she had been coached like the others she would probably have beaten them all hands down. Don't let her start a new school feeling second best. She wouldn't be offered the place if that was the case.

Well done, your DD. And getting into grammar school untutored is a great achievement, too. Sounds like there's some jealousy from your friend. I bet your DD is a hard worker, too, which is more important than natural ability alone. I hope she has a lovely weekend and you try to do something nice for yourself with your free time.

ShineSmile Sat 12-Jul-14 14:39:50

Congratulations to you both! smilesmile I'm so pleased for you. You both deserve a treat grin

ShineSmile Sat 12-Jul-14 14:41:31

Untutored into grammar school, that is fantastic! She will flourish there. And what type of friends have you got that make nasty comments like that? Not on.

lecherrs Sat 12-Jul-14 14:46:21

Aww, well done to your DD. That's excellent for her.

And agree with the others - ditch the bitchy friends. Life's too short to waste it on people who drag you down grin.

ChablisChic Sat 12-Jul-14 14:49:05

foslady sounds like you have done a brilliant job bringing DD up. Congratulations to BOTH of you thanks

foslady Sat 12-Jul-14 14:58:05

I:'e been out so only just seen all ypur lovely comments - thank you! It's taken a while but so called friend has hradually got worse these last few years - never was as bad as this though. I jave started to distance myself since the lucky comment - qnd it's thanks to mumsnet that I realised what she was doing. Also congrats to the pps friends niece who got in too. Dd does work hard but is great fun with a wicked sense of humour which unfortunately is a bit too advanced at times according to her teacher!!!! Ps sorry for any typos, my phone is rubbish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now