Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

WTF are these blisters I've woken up with? Please diagnose me learned MNetters. The web is no bloody use

(20 Posts)
aNoteToFollowSo Sat 12-Jul-14 06:40:15

Before getting into bed last night I lay down on the carpet in front of the heater in my bedroom to warm up a bit. Fell asleep there. Woke up with something sore on my hip - felt it sleepily as I got into bed and the skin was raw and sore where I touched.

This morning I see that I have three blisters more or less in a line on my hip and tummy. But it's not teeny little bumps and blisters like the ones I am seeing on the internet. These are three quite big, bold blisters like the kind you get on your feet if your walking shoes are rubbing. They are filled with clear fluid, except the one that was sore last night which seems to have burst. There is a sort of red line coming off the one blister but it's a flat red line, again, not raised little bumps or anything. It all feels a bit sore and stingy but no itch at all.

I can't find anything on the web that matches what I have. Anyone have any ideas for me ? Is a nice hot bath okay?

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Jul-14 06:43:12

Shingles?

A weird burn?

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Jul-14 06:44:17

I'm sure a bath is fine.

aNoteToFollowSo Sat 12-Jul-14 06:46:23

Thanks Fanjo (I loved typing that!) for responding. I'll go and bath and hope for more responses when I'm back.

LadyVJJ Sat 12-Jul-14 06:47:22

Sounds like burn blisters.

Are you in the UK OP? I was chilly in the night, but still no duvet on the bed!

Bites of some sort? The red line is worrying as you can get that when there is infection present.

I would get medical advice ASAP. Out of hours, walk in centre, a&e. Whatever is the right way to do it where you live. Start by calling 111

aNoteToFollowSo Sat 12-Jul-14 06:54:25

Oh my word, was hoping to avoid a dr as it's a faff to see one on a Saturday morning here. ? I'm not in the UK (so quite cold here).

It does look sort of like a burn but how could I burn myself under my pajama pants, in my sleep, on my carpet? Weird.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Jul-14 07:02:26

Well I assume you rolled over and the heater chargrilled you nicely

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 12-Jul-14 07:03:06

thanks

FabULouse Sat 12-Jul-14 07:21:43

Spider bites I reckon.

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 07:24:03

Oh they're those things people used to get ok their feet. Word escaped me

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 07:24:47

Chilblains ?

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 07:25:29

No. Unsurprisingly they are cold only. Doofus

chestnut100 Sat 12-Jul-14 07:27:16

The line coming off it worries me also, but it is probably nothing! Are you in a position to go and get some medical advice right now? May be helpful to get a pen and mark where the line currently ends. If it keeps extending a health care professional would want to know that

member Sat 12-Jul-14 07:45:15

Carpet beetle blisters?

Galena Sat 12-Jul-14 09:07:25

I second shingles?

RebeccaCloud9 Sat 12-Jul-14 09:15:13

My question is why on Earth did you need to lie in front of your heater in the middle of July??!! I was boiling last night and had my fan on all night to cool down!

It sounds like a burn from the heater or carpet to me.

(apologies if you're not in the UK and hope you feel better soon!)

TheRainDrops Sat 12-Jul-14 09:19:00

If they're in a line they could be flea bites? Do you have pets?

aNoteToFollowSo Sat 12-Jul-14 13:39:26

Well, as usual MN got it right. I went to the GP. And the diagnosis is ….(drumroll)…shingles.

I think it must be atypical as all I know about shingles is that it's supposed to be vairy vairy painful indeed. And I have had no pain. Perhaps that's to come but so far, nix.

Anyone know anything about shingles? Dr has prescribed oral anti-viral five times a day. But are there natural remedies as well?

Congrats Fanjo and Galena on your diagnostic powers! And thanks to all who posted

Galena Sat 12-Jul-14 13:44:12

I had shingles and it wasn't painful. A bit itchy to start with (pre-blisters), then the blisters came up and I just thought bites as they were in a line along my waistband. It wasn't until 10 month old DD came out with chicken pox 10 days later that I realised, and the doctor agreed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now