Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How can I make money apart from eBay?

(18 Posts)
thriftyhen Sat 23-Aug-14 12:22:22

Don't dismiss car boot sales! They are great fun. I regularly make between £100 and £200 a month, doing a couple a month, even in winter! Box like items together, ie books, toys, household. I put a big sheet on the ground for clothes and let people rummage. Better items I put on a couple of old tables. Don't charge too much; 50p - £2.00. Tell your family that you are doing a car boot and hopefully they will pass on stuff that they would normally take to a charity shop. Look in skips! I have sold all sorts of things from skips including a fire surround. Sometimes Freecycle has offers of boxes of car boot items. Also, wait until the end of the car boot. Often other car booters don't want to take stuff home so will give it away for free. Take it and sell at the next car boot! Good luck!

WyrdByrd Sat 12-Jul-14 10:20:40

Can you do 'save the change' with your debit card?

I have this set up so if I use my card for a purchase of £9.95 the excess 5p goes into a savings account.

Probably adds up to about £5 a month.

WyrdByrd Sat 12-Jul-14 10:17:59

Music Magpie - put all your CDs onto the PC as MP3 files and get shot of the actual disks.

Mazuma if you've got old mobiles lying about - DH & I got £80 each for ours the year before last which covered a week's car hire for our hols that year.

Car boot might well be worth it for larger/heavier stuff, especially if you can team up with someone else & split the cost of the pitch.

pinkstinks Sat 12-Jul-14 07:59:52

sittingnextto how old are you? Have you heard of the princes Trust enterprise course?

PeppermintInfusion Sat 12-Jul-14 07:32:22

Car boots are good for random tat or stuff that's too heavy to post. Any household stuff you don't want, old toys, DVDs, books, ornaments, kitchen and garden things. You'd be surprised what people buy. One time I saw a stall beside mine sell a used nit comb! shock
If you bake, I've seen some stalls put out buns as well and that makes a bit extra.
It's hard work setting the stuff out and keeping an eye on everything but get the kids involved. Being plastic bags and plenty of change too.
Just be prepared that many things will go for a lot less than on eBay and people will haggle over 10p. Any branded easily posted items, still eBay rather than carboot.

honeypie10 Sat 12-Jul-14 06:49:00

I second the ironing thing, all it would take is an advert on gumtree in your local area for ironing services.

My cousin does it and i first i giggled a bit as i thought it was a weird thing to pay for, but theres so many single men who cannot iron shes now swamped!! She does it of an evening while her 2 hildren are in bed whilst she watches telly. Think she charges £10 for around 10 shirts.

I put all my change into a pot at the end of the day, I don't really notice 30p isn a day and have £70 so far.

Also take clothes that aren't really good enough to sell to a weigh in place, they usually pay about 50p per kg. Some also take toys, clothes and shoes. My mum got £25 for a couple of bin bags full.

Local selling pages are better than eBay I find, just make sure you put the money away immediately, I stick it in my purse and spend it!

Can you offer babysitting / dog walking / pet sitting or feeding / take in ironing to earn extra? A wonderful lady who lives near me comes once a week to do my ironing and quite frankly I luffs her.

PastaandCheese Sat 12-Jul-14 06:19:13

It depends on what you're happy to make at a Boot Sale. I've done well selling cheap things that are expensive to post so children's clothes, books, DVDs.

People expect cheap prices so you need to have enough volume to make it worthwhile.

nameuschangeus Sat 12-Jul-14 05:40:15

One thing I do is do all my online shopping, plus buy any car, pet, house insurance via quidco and I get cash back through them. I've been doing it for about 4 years and overall I've had about £1100 cash back, so it does add up. It us reliant on you shopping online though, which I do a lot.

SiennaBlake Fri 11-Jul-14 22:49:14

I forget too grin

iamdivergent Fri 11-Jul-14 22:48:18

grin

SittingNextToSanta Fri 11-Jul-14 22:48:16

Oh I remember once, someone said people pay a fortune on ebay for old slippers grin

deerkitty Fri 11-Jul-14 22:46:12

Just getting tips from the selling fetish clothes thread

SittingNextToSanta Fri 11-Jul-14 22:44:21

I have a new internet business idea. The thing is how am I going to get anyone interested in buying from me, with no clue or budget for marketing or how to run a business? confused

deerkitty Fri 11-Jul-14 22:43:05

I've been celibate an awful long time not quite sure I remember what you do grin

SiennaBlake Fri 11-Jul-14 22:42:08

You could write erotica and self publish on amazon. That's what I would do but turns out I'm shit at it grin

iamdivergent Fri 11-Jul-14 22:39:43

online surveys, I make about £50 pa. not much but it's something. It's via bounty which mn hates grin

I also do surveys via nectar

£2 jar - one a week will make you £720 in a year - I know it's not 'making' money but saving.

deerkitty Fri 11-Jul-14 22:11:28

Saving up for our holiday, just me and the dc's and I'm trying to find ways to make and save money without having to get a second job. I've made £200 in the past month on eBay. What else can I do? Apparently car boots aren't really worth it.

What about things I can save on so putting the money away each month.

I've got two years to save!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now