Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Who else hates the hank Marvin advert

(24 Posts)
blueskiesandflowers Fri 11-Jul-14 20:45:59

Drives me mad
Don't get it

shouldnthavesaid Fri 11-Jul-14 20:49:42

My sister's school did a routine to that tune a few years ago - can't remember the name of the tune but it was fab. It's a special school for children and teens aged 4-19, they took the four oldest boys and got them dressed in Mexican gear (why Mexico, I can't remember) and had them all pretending to play guitar in time to the music. It was absolutely fantastic - could tell they were really enjoying it.

The advert's crap though.. I just love the song as it reminds me of that concert :D

Cherrypi Fri 11-Jul-14 20:52:37

God yes. How many kids have heard of Hank Marvin? Can't remember what it's advertising so it's failed there too.

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 20:54:43

It's a bit creepy in a John Wyndham kind of way.

shouldnthavesaid Fri 11-Jul-14 20:56:16

Hank Marvin always reminds me of Chevy Chase (when in Christmas Vacation), rather strangely. That and my father. Have some strikingly similar photographs!

Thisvehicleisreversing Fri 11-Jul-14 20:59:52

It annoys me too. What annoys me the most is the way the mum says "you must be Hank Marvin"

The idea is that Hank Marvin is rhyming slang for starving, yet she says it like she is questioning her son actually being Hank Marvin IYSWIM.

They should have had a more believable cockney. Like Dick van Dyke.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jul-14 21:00:23

Took me absolutely ages to get it. Have never heard of being "Hank Marvin" ever.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 11-Jul-14 21:00:31

I think it's v funny, always makes me smile. And it's not aimed at kids really - realistically the people they're aiming at are the ones doing the supermarket shop, specifically the forty-something mums of teenage boys.

olivespickledonions Fri 11-Jul-14 21:01:22

It's not as annoy

olivespickledonions Fri 11-Jul-14 21:02:03

Oops! It's not as annoying as the Trivago one...

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jul-14 21:02:22

Well I'm a forty something Mum and its a complete failure with me. Can't even remember what its advertising...

olivespickledonions Fri 11-Jul-14 21:03:56

Some hideous fake-meat bites? Fridge bites??

olivespickledonions Fri 11-Jul-14 21:05:08

(Jilted, love your name. One of my brother's favourite records.)

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 21:06:15

It's cold chicken nuggets.

Ohanarama Fri 11-Jul-14 21:08:34

What's bad about it? Hank Marvin = starving. Been rhyming slang for as long as I can remember. Simples

Ludways Fri 11-Jul-14 21:11:19

I like it.

olivespickledonions Fri 11-Jul-14 21:17:00

It's a bit Village of the Damned. But with black hair.

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 21:17:39

Yes, that's what I thought! V John Wyndham.

I like it grin but I do think Apache is an impressive piece of music. I read somewhere that if you can play it with fewer than 100 mistakes, you're a good guitar player shock

Fridge Raiders are yum grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jul-14 21:29:19

Ohan perhaps that's it, no one I know uses rhyming slang.

SiennaBlake Fri 11-Jul-14 21:35:25

It just makes me think of southpark and starvin marvin

ArtVandelay Fri 11-Jul-14 21:44:33

Why would anyone find a small bag of cold processed meat pieces an attractive prospect? They look foul. The mum should have sorted him out with some soup or a baked potato if she was worried he would be hungry after school. I feel quite sorry for the boy, he looks pale and tired.

Only Mumsnet could decide that the mum is neglectful and the boy is nutritionally deficient grin They're a proper dirty food grin

ArtVandelay Fri 11-Jul-14 22:02:15

Yeah well, i couldnt resist. The black wig is doing the lad no favours, tbf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now