Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Random question - best mosquito repellent?

(21 Posts)
MotleyCroup Fri 11-Jul-14 20:31:32

Know about Jungle Formula which Boots sell, which contains 50% DEET but is this the best one?

Looking to take away with us.

Holdthepage Fri 11-Jul-14 20:55:22

It depends where you are travelling to. Jungle Formula is one of the best but there are varying strengths. If you are holidaying in a non malaria area then no need to go for the high strength version.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 11-Jul-14 20:57:38

I always use Mosi Guard - smells nicer - doesn't contain DEET but is strong enough to use in Malaria areas. Also safe from 6 months.

I used DEET on a trip to Africa in a malaria area and it seemed to attract the mossies to me rather than repel them - I am a bit of a magnet. Travel nurse thinks the DEET reacts with my skin to attract them!

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 11-Jul-14 20:58:01

I use OFF - for use in Canada. Does the job but don't get it on your nail varnish grin

No malaria here but Lyme disease and West Nile virus - and the frankly just the bites drive me mental

ThePearShapedToad Fri 11-Jul-14 21:14:04

I second the grey boots 50% deet one, the aerosol sprays and the pump action liquid sprays too. Their deet soaked wipes are also useful

The brand jungle formula is usually only 25% and find it ineffective

MotleyCroup Fri 11-Jul-14 21:55:40

We're off to Egypt so need something that's going to repel the little blighters!

Didn't know they did wipes too?

Really don't want to be covered in bites. Read reviews on the hotel and mosquitos can be a problem.

FreeLikeABird Fri 11-Jul-14 22:03:40

We went to Egypt few weeks ago, I attract mozzies! Started of with the jungle formula, it didn't work I ended up with 15 bites in first 3 days shock

Then we bought the OFF spray from the on site shop, this worked and I highly recommend it, also take a plug in or 2, the mozzies really are annoying.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 11-Jul-14 22:03:45

Other benefit from Mosi Guard - it doesn't do the thing DEET does with taking colour, print, off the things it touches!

Shia Fri 11-Jul-14 22:04:27

Avon skin so soft oil, original one.

FreeLikeABird Fri 11-Jul-14 22:06:13

Another good one which you can buy in Egypt is RAID spray.

Legoaddict Fri 11-Jul-14 22:08:58

I second Avon skin so soft oil. I've never had a bite when using it and normally I get eaten alive.

mummy1973 Fri 11-Jul-14 22:09:01

Mozzies love me. I used jungle formulae in Egypt and was only bitten once...miracle.

MotleyCroup Fri 11-Jul-14 22:10:08

Thanks, Free. I shall be heading off to purchase some OFF as soon as we get there (well maybe the next morning) grin

Noodle, where can you buy Mosi Guard? I'll look at taking some with me for our first night (until I can get to the shops)

Shia, interesting. Does it contain something they don't like?

hillbilly Fri 11-Jul-14 22:11:23

Avon Skin So Soft gets my vote too.

I think the Avon stuff is used by the army while training although I may have dreamt that. I use jungle formula, kept us mozzie free in South East Asia.

Justtrying Fri 11-Jul-14 22:19:36

Second boots grey repellent, I too seem to get eaten alive even if wearing jungle formula.

Avon skin so soft worked for me in India. In Thailand the residents recommend citronella.

Anything with deet will dissolve nail varnish.

MotleyCroup Fri 11-Jul-14 22:34:21

Can you order Avon online? Might have to give it a try. At this rate I'll have one case full of lotions and potions only.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 12-Jul-14 03:59:57

Sure I got mine in Boots. Or travel shops like nomad. Its a white blue and green tube.

NCISaddict Sat 12-Jul-14 06:20:08

I get the Avon one online, it works on midges in Scotland too.

Gruzinkerbell Sat 12-Jul-14 06:37:21

Which Avon Skin So Soft is it? There are loads of different lotions and shower gels all called SSS - do they all work or is it one in particular?

EarSlaps Sat 12-Jul-14 06:42:19

Another vote for skin so soft- the original body oil is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now