Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does my party sound ok?

(28 Posts)
xalyssx Fri 11-Jul-14 18:24:43

I'm having a big party next week, there will be 30 - 60 people there. It's the first time I've ever had a party for more than 6 people, so I'm a bit nervous about making sure everything is right! It's going on from midday til midnight, and we have a lot of different people coming, from babies to teenagers to the elderly.
I have arranged a lot of food. We will have a barbecue at lunchtime, with 20 burgers and 80 sausages, and a whole salmon. For the vegetarians, my mum is bringing some veggie burgers and sausages, and there will also be halloumi and giant mushrooms. We will have bread rolls and salad too. In the evening, we will have 4 giant homemade quiches, some homemade bread, and any nibbles that people bring. There will be a big carrot cake, a giant bakewell tart, and 60 mini treacle tarts. I will provide 6 twolitre bottles of fizzy, and 6 litres of fruit. We won't serve alcohol, but people are allowed to bring some.
We will have 2 tents set up in the garden in case of rain, as our house is quite small. I've bought a colour-in cardboard castle for the children, and we will also have normal garden toys and a big paddling pool. If people want to stay overnight, they will be allowed to sleep in the tents.

Is there anything else that I need to think of? Is it enough food and drink? Have I provided enough for people to do? Many thanks smile

littlewhitebag Fri 11-Jul-14 18:30:59

I would say more burgers and more soft drinks. Bottles of fizzy water are good and maybe jugs of squash?

Buttercup27 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:31:20

Party sounds great but it doesn't sound like you've got enough food at the bbq part. Only 20 burgers for 30- 60 people that's not even enough for 1 each. We usually do 2 burgers and sausages each plus all the extra nibbles and chicken pork and kebabs too. As the party is on for the majority of the day, most people will tend to pick at food throughout the day and eat tons especially if there alcohol.

Weekipper Fri 11-Jul-14 18:32:58

I'd triple the drink because unless it's explicit to guests to bring their own you'll run out quickly.

SirNoel Fri 11-Jul-14 18:33:52

Yeah, unless you're expecting guests to bring a lot of stuff as well, I'd say you need more food and definitely more soft drinks.

Everything else sounds great

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 11-Jul-14 18:34:24

I agree re the burgers and I also find it is often the soft drinks that run out, especially on a hot day.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 11-Jul-14 18:34:41

I think you definitely need more burgers. 4 quiches doesn't sound a lot for 60 people either. I would probably double your drinks too if that's for all day and evening.

Slubberdegullion Fri 11-Jul-14 18:35:09

More burgers. More carbs. More soft drinks. wot no Pimms

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Fri 11-Jul-14 18:35:44

Luving the colour in castle thing.

Mrsgrumble Fri 11-Jul-14 18:37:15

You need fifty burgers I'd say.

More drinks too, yes.

VerucaInTheNutRoom Fri 11-Jul-14 18:37:54

Sounds awesome! Can I come? grin

GoEasyPudding Fri 11-Jul-14 18:39:57

Like everyone is saying above, more food, lots more food! More drinks too. Go for it!

Chimchar Fri 11-Jul-14 18:40:02

Jugs of squash or iced water with lemon if it's hot.

Agree about the BBQ food....how about bulking with a tub of pasta salad or rice salad etc.

Also for the evening....how about things like frozen sausage rolls that you can pop into the oven if you're running short of grub?

Letitsnow9 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:46:53

I agree, more food, more drinks.
Think you need 1 burger per person, freeze any left over. I go by 1/2 litre of drink per person but such a long party I would up that

Leeds2 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:47:25

Another here thinking that you will need more soft drinks.

Also, try to cook the food for veggies on a barbie which hasn't been used to cook meat if at all possible. I am not a vegetarian, but I have been at barbeques where vegetarians have refused to eat the veggie sausages which have been cooked alongside the meat ones.

xalyssx Fri 11-Jul-14 18:47:56

Yes please come grin I forgot to say that we're also having pulled pork half a pig apparently do I need still need more burgers? I don't like burgers...
I'm not expecting most people to stay for the evening, so 4 quiches, with potato salad, pasta salad etc should do it... I could get a platter of sandwiches too? The quiches are about 2foot diameter.
We have squash in the house anyway. How much drink would people recommend I get?

ThisCollie Fri 11-Jul-14 18:48:50

Sounds like great fun! Save me some salmon.

PrincessOfChina Fri 11-Jul-14 18:49:54

I would get some reserve food for if things start to run out. So more burgers for definite and then pizzas or those packs of party nibbles for the evening.

PrincessOfChina Fri 11-Jul-14 18:52:39

Do you mean you'll buy some alcohol? You know your guests better than us but for that number is probably buy about 60 bottles of beer and 12 bottles of wine. Adjust accordingly depending on numbers of children expected.

Letitsnow9 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:53:46

For the evening as well as your doing homemade bread (sounds lovely, can I come?) what are you doing with it? Butter or fillings? I would have butter and some things like ham

xalyssx Fri 11-Jul-14 19:07:14

We have a large supermarket 5 minutes away, so if we do run out I won't be worried.
I'm not providing alcohol, as most people are either responsible for children or driving home. People are welcome to bring their own though.
I'm doing typical teatime stuff, cold meats, cheeses, sort of a simple buffet.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 11-Jul-14 19:54:57

Everyone else has concentrated on food and drink so I won't duplicate.

Just a few other things that people might ask when they arrive.

Where can people leave pushchairs, nappy change bags, coats etc.

Where are the loos.

Have you got enough chairs for people to sit on, especially the elderly.
They might need tables to eat at too.

Are you using china or paper plates?
If china, get the teenagers clearing, ideally straight to dishwasher.
If paper, have you got some bins for disposal.

Stock up on loo roll!!!

Sounds lovely, fx for sunshine for you smile

dyslexicdespot Fri 11-Jul-14 19:58:47

Will you have a separate BBQ for the vegetarians? They might not want their food to be cooked next to meat.

Chimchar Fri 11-Jul-14 20:06:33

I think the half a pig you forgot should do it nicely! grin

SocialMediaAddict Fri 11-Jul-14 20:10:36

I would find it seriously weird if I went to a party and wasn't offered a glass of wine.

Not enough BBQ food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now