Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

People who don't eat veg,..what DO you actually eat?

(91 Posts)
Selks Fri 11-Jul-14 18:17:01

Not criticising folk who don't like vegetables, although I find that hard to understand, but more curious. If you never or rarely eat vegetables what do you actually eat for meals?

I can't get my head round meals without veg at all. I tend to put veg at the heart of my cooking and many of my meals are veggie in content.

This thread was sparked when out for a drink with colleagues the other day and one guy announced that he never ate veg, ever. My tiny brain struggled to compute that fact.

TuckingFablet Fri 11-Jul-14 18:20:21

dp doesn't eat veg. He will only eat chicken, chips (but not home cooked oven chips) sausages, bacon, battered fish and white bread.

I gave up trying to alter his eating ages ago and just cook for myself now

Birkenvegas Fri 11-Jul-14 18:22:27

My in laws don’t eat veg, they eat various boring combinations of meat and potato.

I hate veg so unless it's carrots, peas, sweetcorn etc then I'll just have the meal without the veg and tell the dds I ate mine in the kitchen. I don't mind it in stuff, but hate it alongside in a horrible, cold, watery pile. Bleurgh.

MurtleTheTurtle Fri 11-Jul-14 18:26:11

I eat rice (brown usually) with nearly every meal. I wish I liked veg.

Galena Fri 11-Jul-14 18:27:22

DD won't eat veg so eats the main and the carb. She will eat crunchy things like cucumber or raw pepper.

Selks Fri 11-Jul-14 20:05:08

I wonder if people get put off veg if it is served as part of a 'meat and two veg' type meal and overcooked and bland. Maybe actual veg based meals might be more enjoyable, paradoxically, because the veg are likely to be better cooked and taste much better, e.g. red pepper and parmesan risotto will taste better than plain overcooked green beans. Just a thought.

For those who can't eat veg as part of a meal, is a bowl of veg soup ok?

starsandunicorns Fri 11-Jul-14 20:13:03

Dh will eat carrots if chopped up so tiny in spag blog but normaly he eat
Mash with sausages\ pie\ beef casserole
Sunday roast is meat Yorkshire puds roast tatties
Pasta with meat in sause

He will eat peppers at a push so we have homemade Chinese with meat peppers stir fry and rice
Sausages sandwiches pizza
Dh doesn't eat ham either so pack ups are pasties or cheese sarnies

starsandunicorns Fri 11-Jul-14 20:17:06

Sometimes I just have meat with veg so dh will have meat with bread ie chicken kevis in 2 slices of bread
I rencently switched to brown bread I got eye rolling but he will eat it

Coumarin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:18:00

I think you might be right about the 'meat n two veg' type meals. Perhaps the no veg eaters think vegetables are boiling hot, soft and drowned in gravy.

scotchtikidoll Fri 11-Jul-14 20:19:07

Tucking I could have written your post, word for word.

I love veg though. My steamer gets used every day, I find it retains flavour and texture perfectly. I never boil, but if I am using frozen mixed veg then a wok on high heat is good for preventing mushiness. Maybe that would help those who think they don't like vegetables? Some people I know boil things like peas until they go grey and wrinkly, whereas I like vibrant, green peas that pop in your mouth

thatstoast Fri 11-Jul-14 20:21:58

DH is a veg avoider. Meat, Meat with Potatoes, Meat with Rice, Meat with Pasta or Just Pasta. Also meat or cheese sandwiches. It's a nightmare because I would love to cook food that has veg actually in it rather than on the side of it.

plinkyplonker Fri 11-Jul-14 20:28:23

I liked veg but no longer eat them because I cannot be arsed to cook a meal of any kind . It's depressing as even when I occasionally try and make myself a proper meal I can't think of anything I actually want to eat. I live on bread, toast, coffee and things I can snack on out of the fridge - ham, cheese, crisps. I eat tomato sandwiches, that's the closest I come to any veg. I don't know why I've lost my interest in food and cooking, probably tiredness as I have 2 small toddlers.

Harry1603 Fri 11-Jul-14 20:31:12

I like veg but since I had my gallbladder out I've found it doesn't like me very much and I can only have a small amount! At the moment dinner is meat or fish, potatoes and either peas or mushrooms.

blueskiesandflowers Fri 11-Jul-14 20:36:54

I only eat broccoli a couple of times a week I don't eat fruit either

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 11-Jul-14 20:39:19

hate it alongside in a horrible, cold, watery pile. Bleurgh.

you're cooking your veg wrong grin

Adikia Fri 11-Jul-14 20:39:38

DH and DS think they only eat meat, fish, cheese, pasta, rice, potatoes and the odd bit of onion, little do they know that I sneak very finely chopped/pureed vegetables into the sauces of everything I cook and have done for years wink

SaveTheMockingBird Fri 11-Jul-14 20:45:11

Well my dcs don't really like veg on the side..apart ftom peas sweetcorn and carrot. But they will eat almost any veg in a casserole, curry type thing.
I can't understand people who don't eat any veg at all...I cant eat any meal without veg or salad.

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 20:46:28

<weeps for the bowels of the vegetable refusers>

AnaYorks Fri 11-Jul-14 20:47:44

I think you might be right about the 'meat n two veg' type meals. Perhaps the no veg eaters think vegetables are boiling hot, soft and drowned in gravy.

This. I'm convinced the reason my husband is a veg refuser is because this is the only kind of meal his mother made (even I can't eat veg when she cooks it - boiled to a mush). Slow progress is being made as he will now generally eat veg chopped quite small if it is in something, but it has taken me over a decade to get this far...

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 20:49:36

I agree that veg haters were put off by childhood carrots that were boiled for three days and three nights. There are a million delicious ways to cook vegetables. I defy anyone not to love veg tempura.

Pickledradish Fri 11-Jul-14 20:51:48

How do the veg refusers cope with chronic constipation and diverticulitis?

magpiegin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:56:01

I don't love veg tempura! I'm a vegetarian who has to force veg into myself. Can happily go all day with no fruit or veg. I am pregnant so am forcing them into me. My parents cooked great meals with great vegetables (was brought up vegetarian) but they have never been to my taste. I could live off pasta and cheese.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 11-Jul-14 21:01:11

I must say veg isn't my most favorite thing but I do force myself to cook and eat it.

squoosh Fri 11-Jul-14 21:02:35

A diet of pasta and cheese must bung you up ferociously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now