Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've just watched my dd ruin her her

(40 Posts)
kinkymouse Fri 11-Jul-14 16:33:17

Well her and her best friend. She had long dark hair and came home today with a highlighting kit.

I sucked through my teeth and warned of disaster as any good mother would do but at 16 she knows best.

She looks like a tiger and is close to tears even though she's telling her friend "it's fine" in a very high pitched voice.

So, when the said friend goes home what emergency product can I buy to fix this or is it best to take her to a hairdressers. This is the second time she's done something like this.

kinkymouse Fri 11-Jul-14 16:33:55

*hair in the title. Doh

rootypig Fri 11-Jul-14 16:34:51

Rite of passage. I have dark hair that I bleached a fetching shade of fox at 19. Took bloody years to grow out the frazzled bits and I haven't touched it since.

She should be fine with a dark home dye over it, that's what I did, but it will fade and have to be redone.

frozencanmelt Fri 11-Jul-14 16:35:30

16?

You do nothing. She bought it, she can fix it or deal with it.

rootypig Fri 11-Jul-14 16:35:32

take pictures before you fix it, to show her the next time she comes home with a daft idea! grin

TheCSLibraryPree Fri 11-Jul-14 16:36:07

You want the colour stripped out.

Boots do a colour remover or speak to a local salon who may so it for her using buffer solution.

blueskiesandflowers Fri 11-Jul-14 16:38:56

I would take her to salon

LangenFlugelHappleHoff Fri 11-Jul-14 16:40:42

I have heard that head and shoulders strips hair of colour after a few washes...good luck...

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 11-Jul-14 16:41:04

I wouldn't actually OFFER to fix it; you warned her, it's the second time she's done it and now she's crying. She's 16.

Of course you don't want her to be upset but, let her come to you for your advice, don't present the solution to her otherwise there will be a third and fourth time and more.

And, let her pay it back - chores, etc. She's not a little kid and needs to learn. Also, don't let her make you the 'bad guy' for when she goes back to school with non-tiger hair, you're not making her revert it to her normal colour.

Tough love but it's love all the same.

kinkymouse Fri 11-Jul-14 16:41:41

Frozen. I won't be paying for it but just because she's 16 doesn't stop me helping her does it?

I did similar with sun-in at a similar age I remember the crispy strands for ages.

I don't know if a strip would work ax I'm sure the product product probably has bleach in it.

Oh well. It's only hair. She's pretty enough to carry it off if it falls out.

Mrsjayy Fri 11-Jul-14 16:41:42

I would leave it till she comes wailing muuuuuum look at it grin its just hair it will grow out or she can get it done again

NatashaBee Fri 11-Jul-14 16:43:56

I wouldn't do anything more with home kits - take her to a hairdresser to get it fixed.

SecretWitch Fri 11-Jul-14 16:45:52

Same situation in my home. The first time, off to salon we went for a do over. When dd came home again with a kit, I objected and was told "It's my hair, not the family hair"... Right you are, my sweet...hair turned several uneven shades of orange. Her very own, non family hair stayed pumpkin coloured until she saved enough money to have it professionally fixed.

Cleorapter Fri 11-Jul-14 16:45:56

The hair has been bleached, a colour remover won't work. You'll need to put colour back onto the hair as it's basically been stripped out. You'll need a dark colour with red undertones (red will stop it going green) but I would wait until the hair has rested first.

Sicaq Fri 11-Jul-14 16:46:09

How stripey is it? Will a wash-in colour like the Superdrug range tone it down a bit?

LadyGnome Fri 11-Jul-14 16:46:46

Get some lowlights at a salon to tone down the bleached stripes?

piratecat Fri 11-Jul-14 16:47:30

nothing can strip bleach out, if she wants to cover it up go for a brown with slight red in it, it 5.3, or 6.3 NOT a 5 or 6 etc, nothing ashy otherwise the blonde will go green.

rootypig Fri 11-Jul-14 16:48:32

Sounds like it's been bleached, no? Am not a hairdresser but have dark brown hair that I bleached the exact shade of a fox ten years ago and had no problems covering it up with home dye - though inevitably the dye was slightly darker / flatter than my natural shade.

kinkymouse Fri 11-Jul-14 16:49:58

Oh Lordy. I've just breezed through with a casual how's it going. And they have a second bottle of blonde to "blend". I'm most defiantly not offering a solution to this. Her roots are going to be awful.

She has a birthday next month so if she needs a hairdresser trip she can pay for it with her birthday money.

Goldmandra Fri 11-Jul-14 16:50:00

just because she's 16 doesn't stop me helping her does it?

I'm sure we've all made the odd mistake as teenagers and been grateful if our parents have been around to help us pick up the pieces once they've allowed us to stew in our own juice for a while just to ensure that we learned from it.

I agree that you need to let her come to you but a 16YO isn't going to know automatically how to sort out a mess like this. I wouldn't have the first idea and you had to turn to MN for advice. I think it's perfectly reasonable to help her sort it out.

SwedishEdith Fri 11-Jul-14 16:50:04

I wouldn't do anything unless she asked for help

rootypig Fri 11-Jul-14 16:52:16

Yikes! shock

Tbf this was my initial reaction to my bleach problem too. More bleach!!! grin It did not look good but the scarf over it did grin grin

slithytove Fri 11-Jul-14 16:52:44

Is wrong that I want to see a picture grin

Superfurryanimal77 Fri 11-Jul-14 16:53:44

bless her, I have had so many of these moments, good luck sorting it OAP, it is the stuff my twins give me nightmares about... hope it goes okay!

Cleorapter Fri 11-Jul-14 16:55:06

Oh gosh, putting more bleach on will make it over processed and dry...she's going to need a lot of conditioner afterwards...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now