Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Help! DD's birthday plans rained off - what can we do in/around london this Weekend?

(60 Posts)
nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:49:00

Dd's birthday on Monday - we were going to Chessington or Thorpe park but the weather looks wet and generally rubbish so we need something else to do.

DD will be 9, we have done the London museums to death I need something fun and indoors! Price not an issue, we live in SE London but have car & will travel! Any ideas gratefully appreciated smile

Trondheim Fri 11-Jul-14 12:53:24

If you all have waterproofs go to Thorpe park anyway as everyone will stay away and you'll get a lot more goes on the rides

Heels99 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:54:17

I would go anyway.

LJHH Fri 11-Jul-14 12:56:08

Cadbury World?
Indoors so rain not a problem, we loved it and you get free chocolate, win win smile

PolkaSpottyDotty Fri 11-Jul-14 12:58:03

We were at Marwell Zoo in the rain for my DD's birthday - it was absolutely fantastic as it was so quiet! We probably had a better time in the rain (kitted out with wellies & waterproofs) than we have had in blazing sunshine.

You won't have to worry about the water rides smile

summerlovingliz Fri 11-Jul-14 12:58:49

Fun indoor water park.. Coral reef or similar? Or something a little more grown up like afternoon tea or theatre? smile

SaucyJack Fri 11-Jul-14 13:00:46

Go and see a musical in the west end ?

nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:02:02

Really not keen on going to theme park, we went to Chessington on Monday just gone, it is pretty miserable when the weather is rubbish (school inset day and we have Merlin passes so go loads!)

If the weather is better next weekend we will take her to Thorpe Park/other theme park of choce, I would really like to find something else.

Off to google Cadbury's world - she does love chocolate !

You4coffee Fri 11-Jul-14 13:02:12

The horniman has a curious tea party which looks like it might be fun?

nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:04:53

Right just seen it is in Birmingham - that is a bit too far smile

As part of her birthday present I have got her tickets to Matilda, Wicked and Charlie & choc factory - we have seen all the other kids shows in London - we live in London and we do a lot with her which is why I'm struggling so much to find something special

nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:06:03

Oh I'm being one of those posters that just says no to everything......sorrysad

LJHH Fri 11-Jul-14 13:09:17

Sorry I was being stupid, I've reread your post and realised you said near London, oopps...

CheeryName Fri 11-Jul-14 13:12:26
nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:13:20

LJHH - no worries at all, it does look like a good place to consider in the half term - DD really really does like chocolate!

StandardHeight Fri 11-Jul-14 13:14:42

How about going to a west end cinema to see a new release then to a restaurant where she'll get some special treatment, I'm thinking a Mexican or something where they'll make an effort with your party.

ihearttc Fri 11-Jul-14 13:14:48

Is it just for you and her? What about a posh afternoon tea somewhere in London?

nancy75 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:15:54

Thanks CheeryName - I love that website - we did consider the bastille day thing at Borough and then maybe the aquarium/London eye something like that, it is just all a bit rubbish in the rain!

Last year we had a bouncy castle for her birthday and it was so hot we had to hose the kids down - I can't believe how bad the weather is this year (thank god we aren't having another big party in the garden - I really would be having a panic)

Leeds2 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:16:23

Harry Potter World.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 11-Jul-14 13:16:44

Zoo? Will also be quiet(er) in the rain.

A nice tea somewhere posh-ish?

A shopping trip?

Give us an idea what type of things does she like - eg is she active, does she like (interesting) history and things, does she like animals, is she a pink glittery girly girl... ?

Leeds2 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:17:41

There used to be a Chocolate Cafe in Harrods. DD went there for a friend's birthday many years ago.

LJHH Fri 11-Jul-14 13:18:21

Deffo, get involved, it was fun!
Hope you manage to find something special to do with your DD

CheeryName Fri 11-Jul-14 13:23:08

Or get a last minute flight somewhere hot! Though could be an extravagant precedent to set...

CheeryName Fri 11-Jul-14 13:25:38

Ooh or go indoor skiing.

StandardHeight Fri 11-Jul-14 13:27:25

Ooh yes indoor skiing or having a go on one of those wind tunnel things, gosh can I come

Ghost bus tour?

Museum of childhood has a Jacqueline Wilson exacerbation on at the moment.?

A manicure?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now