Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Spray Tan for Holiday?

(20 Posts)
susanjones123 Fri 11-Jul-14 11:52:47

I'm going on holiday on Wednesday to a hot country where I want (and will need) to get all my legs and arms out. However, I'm as white as a milk bottle so would prefer a little colour to feel more confident with limbs on parade.

My question is- how far in advance would I need to a spray tan to give it time to dry? I was thinking Tuesday morning before the Wednesday lunchtime flight?

I'd be getting this done at a proper tanning shop, there's no way I'd trust myself to do this at home.

Tuesday morning would be fine. It doesn't really need to 'dry' as such, you just need to give it an 8 hour period before getting in the shower.

Take a nice moisturiser with you (not one with any oils in) to keep it looking nice and even for your holiday!

susanjones123 Fri 11-Jul-14 11:58:44

greyhound Ah great, thanks. I've been told to wear baggy clothes after the spray tan so it doesn't rub off- is that right?

You say moisturiser with no oils- I usually use coconut oil as body moisturiser- I should avoid this after the spray tan then? Would you recommend just a thick, good quality one? Say Soap and Glory (my fave)?

I haven't usually found it an issue at all, I would recommend dark clothing though!

Yep, avoid the coconut oil. Oils break down the DHA (key ingredient in the tan) so you'll end up patchy! Soap and Glory would be absolutely fine.

On the flip side oil is great to remove a fading fake tan! grin

susanjones123 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:41:24

Greyhound That's marvellous thank you

Just one more question... do you wear your own underwear when you're spray tanned or do they give you paper undies? Or do you go naked?

They give you paper undies - but I usually go naked as I don't like having the lines (and also think the paper ones are a bit of an odd shape!)

Nothing to be embarrassed about if you do want to go naked - plenty of us (like me) do! grin

If you have a thong that you like (preferably a dark one) you could take that instead of wearing the paper pants if you like the shape of it. All up to you really, they won't mind a bit. smile

I wear cheap big black knickers.

How long are you going for?

What are you going to do when it fades, or do you tan easily?

Myfanwyprice Fri 11-Jul-14 12:52:46

The salon I go to has a mystic tan booth; I would really recommend it; it's an automatic booth, so no cellulite free person looking at you while they spray! And it always gives an even tan.

The best thing about it though, is that it fades really nicely, no patchy bits!

If you have any places near you that have the automatic booths, I would give it a go!

chaos2clarity Fri 11-Jul-14 12:57:06

I'd go later in the day on Tuesday then it can develop in the evening and while you sleep.

susanjones123 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:58:37

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

I'm only going for five days. Once it's faded I'm not too bothered as I'll be back in the UK and have my legs under wraps once again!

Thanks for the advice on the automatic booths.. will look into this.

when I did this last year, the first day in the pool made me all patchy!

5 days will be fine! They take about 10 to go completely if you keep up with the moisturising.

I do like the automatic booths too but always manage to cock up the backs of my arms somehow...

Myfanwyprice Fri 11-Jul-14 13:17:02

greyhound I'm now thinking I need to strip off and check the back of my arms - I hope I'm not in denial about how even it is!!!

StandardHeight Fri 11-Jul-14 13:22:39

You're getting it early enough it'll be fine. I always take a bottle of fake tan to top up during my holiday as I've had skin cancer so can't bake in the sun. I forgot once and was the only person to start with a tan and go white as the week went on grin

specialsubject Fri 11-Jul-14 13:24:18

remember the obvious - fake tan gives no sun protection so you'll still need lots of sun cream.

susanjones123 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:57:29

special Yep, I'm well aware but always good to be reminded!

specialsubject Fri 11-Jul-14 14:02:22

smile. Didn't want you coming back pink and stripey!

have a great trip!

Numanoid Fri 11-Jul-14 14:03:05

What's wrong with being white on holiday? I'm about as pale as you can get and I love it. grin Although if you prefer being tanned, go for it!

I don't like fake tan myself as it would probably look orange on me, and I'd be scared it would fade and leave patches. I guess if it's done in a salon though, there's maybe less chance of that?

carabos Fri 11-Jul-14 14:40:17

I had mine done this morning. I'm flying tonight. I look ridiculous and stink. The tan-ista assured me that I can shower this evening which will wash off the "top colour" leaving me looking naturally tanned underneath. She claimed that everyone starts off bright orange the same colour, but then ends up with their own colour which depends on how the chemicals react with your own body heat and chemistry. We shall see...

Dharmalovesdraco Fri 11-Jul-14 16:13:18

Don't forget to bend forward when she does your bum, I'm not particularly saggy in that area yet had quite obvious 'smiles' under my bum afterwards. Nice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now