Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

harry potter world

(27 Posts)
LEMmingaround Fri 11-Jul-14 11:40:50

What is it like because dd wants to go and its £££££££££££££

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 11-Jul-14 11:43:53

Do you mean the studios in Watford, or the place in Florida?

The studios in Watford are fab!!!

LEMmingaround Fri 11-Jul-14 11:49:12

Studios in watford!!!!smile

Lurking, we;re going at Christmas <<squee>>

Iloveonionchutney Fri 11-Jul-14 11:56:37

Worth very penny, can't wait to go again!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 11-Jul-14 11:56:59

It's brilliant, if you're a HP fan. Probably a bit boring if not. You need at least half a day to go round.

Warning - everything in shop is VV expensive though. So warn kids they have a budget if this is an issue.

TurnOverTheTv Fri 11-Jul-14 12:08:16

It's amazing, well worth the money.

OldBeanbagz Fri 11-Jul-14 12:08:43

We went at New Year and it was FAB. Everything was done up all Christmassy.

Would definately set a budget for your DD in the shop as i was shock at the prices.

LEMmingaround Fri 11-Jul-14 12:23:41

She already wants a wand and a dressing up ribe shock

dillite Fri 11-Jul-14 12:32:45

It's amazing and I'm not even particularly a fan. Seeing all the sets and mechanic things, how they work, that was so, so, so good! Butterbeer is great too- reminded me of a childhood drink. The shop is expensive though sad. I bought a few bits and paid nearly £80!

LEMmingaround Fri 11-Jul-14 12:39:41

I am not a fan so gor me it seems so much money and you don't actually do anything

OldBeanbagz Fri 11-Jul-14 12:42:42

Wands were ++ expensive but chocolate ones are available. That's what we bought our DC because we're tight.

Primark are selling Happy Potter t-shirts now.

ContinentalKat Fri 11-Jul-14 12:43:23

Wands are very expensive (£40-ish?) and robes even more so (£70-80 iirc).

If you know how to sew a straight line you can easily make fabulous robes yourself. Pinterest is your friend for easy patterns. Ours are black with maroon lining, we went all out and bought a proper embroidered badge on eBay, which was around £3 and got 2 great robes for much, much less than the ones in Watford. You could even wear them there.

The kids both bought the real wands with all of their pocket money, but it's a total rip off. I would have liked a little something for myself, but not at those prices!

Having said that, it's a magical place for a fan, you could easily spend a whole day there. Have fun!

ContinentalKat Fri 11-Jul-14 12:45:55

Ooh, I need to go to primark!

Mrsjayy Fri 11-Jul-14 13:27:11

Dd has a primark hp t shirt 6 quid she loves it I have to wrestle her to get it washed,

Mrsjayy Fri 11-Jul-14 13:28:08

Universal studio wands were $80 shock

Fabulous, and the Butterbeer is lush! Brilliant day out and worth getting the tour guide headset thingy. Not TOO overpriced though I did buy myself a Gryffindor scarf in the shop for about £27...

Clutterbugsmum Fri 11-Jul-14 13:55:15

As others have said it is a great day out (if you like Harry Potter), and alhough you have timed entries you are not rushed once you are past the first part. When we went last year they had the animal 'actors' there as well.

Yes the shop is very expensive so do set a budget.

SecretSix Fri 11-Jul-14 13:58:10

I enjoyed the books but have only seen the first two films, so not a huge fan. I found it totally fascinating, more around how it was filmed technically and seeing the sets themselves. DSDs (late teens) loved it.

Agree, prices in shop are astronomical. The worst I thought was Hermione's purple dress, cheap nylon badly stitched for about £150. hmm

fatowl Fri 11-Jul-14 14:02:45

We also went last year, loved it, well worth it imo IF you are a fan.
If not it will probably bore you rigid.

I loved the Knight bus, Diagon Alley, the Great Hall, the big model of Hogwarts, the wand room at the end....well all of it actually!

Shop is very expensive. Saw several families in meltdown at the end of the long day!

ElephantsNeverForgive Fri 11-Jul-14 14:02:59

Totally agree the exhibition is brilliant, well worth the £££, shop is silly.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Fri 11-Jul-14 14:06:30

I'm in the minority. I'm a fan and hated it

gettingridiculous Fri 11-Jul-14 14:09:54

What did you hate about it Morethan? Just interested to know what your expectations were and how it failed to live up to them.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Fri 11-Jul-14 14:15:33

I think it was more to do with the bad behaviour of the crowds than anything.

Also when we went there was only one broomstick in operation at the photo area. Add to that the extortionate prices for anything that needs paying for, the limited time you get in the great hall (and being really rushed through it to let the next crowd in) it was all just more than a bit crap for us.

The giant model of hogwarts at the end was impressive but again tainted by extremely rude people pushing and shoving

It was really elbows at dawn and people thinking their child had higher priority than any adult to see any exhibit.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Fri 11-Jul-14 14:16:38

And butterbeer was revolting. Like dandelion and burdock with a foam of werthers originals on top

We went as a crowd of adults and bought one between us and no one liked it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now