Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do mumsnetters feel men and women have different senses of humour.

(13 Posts)
digdeepforanswers Fri 11-Jul-14 11:17:52

Men seem to crack jokes more than women. Even as radio presenters.

digdeepforanswers Fri 11-Jul-14 11:19:03

Well, Sarah Kennedy was an exception but she seems to have been pensioned off

I find that people have different senses of humour. Some men are very funny, some are quite funny, some are simply not funny at all. Some women are very funny, some are quite funny, some are simply not funny at all.

Also, what's funny is relative to each individual. I find Mrs Brown's Boys, for example, about as funny as cleaning the drains, but I can listen to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and shit a kidney from laughing too much. Yet there are plenty of other people - men and women - who would say the opposite, especially if all the 'funny' pictures which show up in my Facebook feed are anything to go by....

Absy Fri 11-Jul-14 11:49:44

I agree with lacktoast - everyone has different senses of humour. Some men are very funny, some men aren't, some women are very funny, some aren't.

I don't see it as a gender thing. Just a personality thing.

I am much funnier than the blokes I know grin

What others have said.

I do think that some men have a harder time laughing at a joke told by a woman, than woman have laughing at a man's joke. I think female comedians have a harder time of it.

SaucyJack Fri 11-Jul-14 11:58:13

I think men make better stand-up comedians on the whole as the male voice seems better at delivering the line. Some female comedians I've seen sound weak and slightly apologetic in front of the mike- even tho the jokes are just as funny. ( yes Lucy Porter- I mean you)

As far as script writing goes, I think they're equally as funny.

MaidOfStars Fri 11-Jul-14 12:02:11

Making others laugh is an evolutionary strategy to getting a mate. Like a lot of successful strategies, it tends to be the males who have to do the running around, while the women get to pick based on their performance.

Various studies show that men tend to go for high-impact, attention-grabbing, "immediate" humour - clowning around, physical activity, boundary-pushing, one-liners. Women tend to more narrative, conversational styles (with a lot more teasing/deprecating stuff).

Interestingly, both men and women laugh more at men that at women, even if the funniness of the joke is deemed equal. Clearly, there are strong cultural and social cues to laughing at someone, that run along gender lines.

Obviously, there are people who don't fulfill the stereotypes.

Thisvehicleisreversing Fri 11-Jul-14 12:09:19

The people with the sane sense of totally bizarre and very childish humour as me are my brother, DH and a female colleague.

Regarding women not making good stand-ups, I'm not sure I agree. I think the problem is more a lack of practice caused by a lack of opportunity.

The comedy circuit is very male-dominated. It's hard for women to get the initial encouragement and ongoing support. They don't get the best time slots. They don't get the best clubs. There is, also, the idea that women aren't funny, so they're behind before they even open their mouths.

If you don't get the same opportunities to hone your skills, of course you're not going to be as good as someone who has had those chances. It's the same elsewhere - there' no reason why women shouldn't compete with men in many areas, but the gaps are still massive.

See what happens when three sisters are given the right opportunities: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3_Polg%C3%A1r

Good comedy is about practice, as with so much else in life. If you aren't given the opportunity to practice then you will never be able to match others' talents.

There's a big opinion that women don't 'do' funny, which is why you see fewer female comedians as well as fewer women cracking jokes - it's fashionable to tell a woman she isn't funny. I think it's more to do with social perspectives than men being funnier/having a different sense of humour than woman.

I do stand-up comedy. At a uni comedy night, I was the only woman performing alongside 7 other men. There were the usual groans as I got onstage but I got the biggest cheer of the night grin

TalcumPowder Fri 11-Jul-14 14:02:12

Absolutely to whoever said that women comedians' perceived lack of funniness is down to fewer opportunities and a social bias against them.

I was watching Mock the Week recently, and felt rather sorry for the token woman comedian of the week in what has always been a very blokish environment - I gather now there is a rule that BBC panels shows can no longer be all-male, and while I applaud the nurturing of female talent in areas where it hasn't traditionally flourished, I think it must be quite depressing to feel 'token', especially when the host of the show has spoken out against the rule...

(Though this is unrelated to the fact that Mock the Week is nowhere near as funny as it used to be, and the guy with the teeth, the guy who looks like a hobbit with a mop top and the bearded Asian guy who wears his shirts buttoned all the way up, are pretty unamusing.)

Abilly72 Fri 11-Jul-14 19:04:44

Like so many things men and women are wired differently one example is humour andothe the need to go shopping lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now