Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Suggestions for dinner in York

(38 Posts)
MissisBee Fri 11-Jul-14 10:09:44

Hi folks.
DH and I are off to York next weekend and I would love some recommendations for dinner. I used to be a regular visitor (had family there) but haven't been for several years now.
Criteria:
1. Ideally within the city walls - we will have a car but would prefer to go somewhere we can walk too.
2. Must have good vegetarian options (DH is veggie but doesn't like the commonly offered-up goats cheese or mushrooms).
3. Mid-range price, nothing too fancy or with pretentious stuff on the menu.

We like most cuisines and happy to try new things. It would be handy if we didn't have to book a table. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations.

MissisBee Fri 11-Jul-14 12:28:46

Entirely shameless bump

HumpsForHalfMile Fri 11-Jul-14 12:37:48

I like Cafe No 8 on Gillygate.

Really informal, modern food, not too spendy. No idea about veggie options, but it's York so I'd put money on there being something. It's a veggie kind of town is York. :D

jammietart Fri 11-Jul-14 12:38:13

Not the city walls but we,ve been here a few times and really liked it (albeit a few years ago)
www.cafeno8.co.uk
and read this review a few weeks ago and thought it sounded fab
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/23/la-langhe-york-restaurant-review

but not sure where that is situated. bit liek you used to visit York ftrequently but not for a couple of years though. enjoy

jammietart Fri 11-Jul-14 12:38:49

ha cross post!

HumpsForHalfMile Fri 11-Jul-14 12:39:57

You can see the walls from Cafe No 8 but yes, technically outside...

HumpsForHalfMile Fri 11-Jul-14 12:40:22

Yeah, pretty epic x post too!

jammietart Fri 11-Jul-14 12:42:12

yes osrry that was misleading as it is very central and it think we sat in the garden whcih is actually walled by the walls iyswim

HumpsForHalfMile Fri 11-Jul-14 12:42:15
VivaLeBeaver Fri 11-Jul-14 12:44:51

House Of The Trembling Madness. No idea how vegi friendly it is.

Purplecircle Fri 11-Jul-14 12:48:58

Oscars every time. Amazing nachos and burgers

my favourites for years have been Bari in the shambles and little Italy in goodramgate, both Italian restaurants and always been friendly and great service and reasonably priced.

they have most of the chains in the city centre, such as pizza xpress, pizza hut, nandos etc.

if you like indian, just outside the bar walls is the Viceroy on monksgate. NOt been there for about a year but was good last time we went

for decent pub grub, the pub down stonegate, claims to be oldest pub, the name escapes me right now, I think it might be the star, down a tiny little alley and then a courtyard to sit in and lots of rooms to eat in.

I used to live in York, still go back a few times a year to see family.

MissisBee Fri 11-Jul-14 13:20:31

Thanks. I like the look if cafe no 8 and little Italy - Italian food is usually a safe bet for us. The only restaurant I remember going to is loch fyne, but not a great choice for a veggie and a non fish-eater.

makesomenoise Fri 11-Jul-14 13:57:22

Saw this and came to recommend Cafe no 8 - absolutely fantastic food and really good value.

panevino Fri 11-Jul-14 14:19:09

I've never actually been myself but have veggie friends who live locally who love El Piano www.el-piano.com/.

WannabeMrsJoshHomme Fri 11-Jul-14 14:24:01

there's a mcdonald's on Blake Street, it's spacious and everything... wink

there's a new restaurant called Cosmo which looks pretty good but can't say for sure as I haven't been (yet).

I also second Oscar's.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 11-Jul-14 14:26:28

Melton's Too. They do good veggie stuff and tapas style dishes to share. Local produce, good quality, nice ales and wine, and a charming building.

WannabeMrsJoshHomme Fri 11-Jul-14 14:27:01

ooh La Tasca is nice too.

this is making me hungry.

Andcake Fri 11-Jul-14 14:34:39

A bit different but as a veggie I had a lovely choice and different from the usual veggie fare at www.deli-barbakan.co.uk DP enjoyed his meat thing their too.
Meant to be one of the best polish places in the uk. Probably the nest meal we had in our visit.

MissisBee Fri 11-Jul-14 18:20:13

Great suggestions, looks like we'll be spoiled for choice. Wannabe I've been to a Cosmo in Belfast - it's AMAZING

WannabeMrsJoshHomme Fri 11-Jul-14 18:21:45

ooh that's good to hear because I'm going next weekend! Excited grin

If you can't make up your mind, just do them all, like a restaurant instead of pub crawl.

OhMyActualDays Fri 11-Jul-14 18:22:14

I was going to ask if Meltons Too is still there... DH and I had our first date there many moons ago, when at uni!

MirandaWest Fri 11-Jul-14 18:40:18

I love meltons too smile

BellaVita Fri 11-Jul-14 18:42:45

Rustique

Blue Bycicle

The Lime House

Eight O Clock

WannabeMrsJoshHomme Fri 11-Jul-14 18:44:07

It seems there are a number of fellow york-dwellers on here! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now