Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Next doors yapping dog is waking us up at 5am every single day....

(24 Posts)
alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 09:37:32

....and it's driving us insane.

They go to work at that time, and the dog starts barking. Our house walls are paper thin, we were trying to move (had sold ours and were in the process of buying) but we've had to pull out as DH lost his job a fortnight ago.

It's a little yip-yapper and it goes on for about an hour, sometimes more. Next door KNOW we can hear it, as we have discussed it after they first moved in a few months ago (very nice conversation, instigated by them, apologising as they suspected we could probably hear the dog which we confirmed we could. The dog also barks a lot in the day (whenever anyone walks past the house, which I understand of course, but this is a busy road with a bus stop directly opposite so this is very frequent). She said she was going to get the FIL to come in at lunchtime which now happens, but all that happens then is that the dog then yaps for half an hour after he leaves....

It really is causing us a nightmare. DS, 3, has his room on that side of the house. No, I can't move him, there is nowhere to move him to. He has blackouts and a groclock which worked till the dog arrived in February. Now when the dogs start, he gets woken up (and we do too, but it is louder in his room it's honestly like the dog is in our house) he then gets out of bed, wakes his DS up, wakes us up, refuses to believe it isn't time to get up and then has a massive meltdown. We stick to putting him back to bed but the poor child cannot be told he is wrong when he's being woken up. It happens 6 days a week.

I feel like there isn't much anyone can do, as I don't think they can DO anything to stop the dog (the only room of theirs not adjacent to us is their living room or main bedroom, and she told us the dog also shreds stuff so I appreciate she doesn't want to shut it in there). Is it worth us talking to them again? I don't know. I don't know what they or us can do!

Only1scoop Fri 11-Jul-14 09:39:05

Yes talk to them. They shouldn't be out all day leaving the dog to yap....suggest doggy daycare to them !!

OriginofSymmetry Fri 11-Jul-14 09:43:10

Yes you need to talk to them again so they know the amount of disruption their dog is causing. It sounds like a nightmare for you! Not sure what the anwser is but it is their responsibility to sort out - do they seem like reasonable enough people?

OriginofSymmetry Fri 11-Jul-14 09:45:03

The dog clearly has some kind of separation anxiety causing it to bark and shred stuff so they need to sort it out. Unfair on you that she won't risk it shredding her stuff but you have to tolerate it disrupting your whole life. The dog must be pretty miserable too.

alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 09:45:47

I'm making an assumption scoop but I am doubtful they could afford doggy daycare, they've told us they've moved here from a bigger place to save some costs, they aren't having a holiday this year (she said in passing) as 'things are a bit too tight for that'.

They have a massive dog too (huge huge thing, rhodesian ridgeback I think) and we barely hear that, but again, it too is home from 5am till 3pm (although as I say FIL comes round at about 12).

I'm exhausted!

PaperFlowers Fri 11-Jul-14 09:45:49

You sound extremely reasonable to me. Could you perhaps talk to them again and decribe clearly that this is causing probelms with your DS, which cannot be expepected to live with?

Suspect they realise it's not on if they have mentioned it to you before - are you perhaps being a bit of a pushover about this?

AlpacaLypse Fri 11-Jul-14 09:46:10

One of the services we offer is doggy day care, we've got a couple who basically spend the working day with one of us.

However this won't solve the problem of the dog starting up at 5 a.m.

Do you know if they've consulted a behaviourist?

InanimateCarbonRod Fri 11-Jul-14 09:47:34

I feel your pain OP. Our next door neighbour's yappy dog is allowed to yap yap yap in the back garden until midnight some nights.

PaperFlowers Fri 11-Jul-14 09:49:29

Just read your latest post OP and yes I do think you are being a massive pushover. They are playing you by deliberately telling you about their financial issues, knowing that you are probably about to tell them to sort out their dog.

The walls are like paper? They can hear your DS being woken up by their dog every morning then, can't they?

If for some reason they can't sort the dog out, money or otherwise, they need to re-home the dog.

mumblechum1 Fri 11-Jul-14 09:53:30

I'd contact environmental health at your local council. I've had similar problems over the years with several neighbours who have ignored polite requests and as soon as they are threatened with getting rid of the dog they miraculously find a solution.

alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 09:56:25

They can't hear DS because they leave when the dog starts, but I don't think at all that they are ignorant to it because as I say, they brought up the subject in the first place. They have a teenage son (or one of them does) who isn't there all the time, I think he is with his other parent 50%. The dog STILL barks when he is there though, and to demonstrate how thin the walls are, I can tell you that I have heard on more than one occasion him shout something like 'shut up you stupid f-ing yappy c***' which is just delightful. I have also noticed that for the majority of the time he seems to have his ears attached to his ipod or whatever, so I suspect the dog yapping is only heard by him when he chooses to hear it!

I've just spoken to DH about it and he says he'll speak to the H next door about it next time he's about. They do seem reasonable, but very laid back.

Maybe I am being a pushover, we have chronic problems with neighbours on the other side (music related) which have lead to years of stress and being bullied, hence the primary reason for moving house which is sadly now shelved. I don't fancy a battle with both sides!

CripesItsTheGasMan Fri 11-Jul-14 09:59:29

I've suffered this OP. I had to buy ear plugs to sleep. It's when I lived at home and everyone in the house became irritated and crabby out of frustration and exhaustion. The owner didn't give a shite and was abusive when confronted.

we rang environmental health and DM had to fill in a diary of every single incident. She was sent numerous letters. I moved in with DP because of it and luckily she left not long after.

PaperFlowers Fri 11-Jul-14 10:02:21

Goodness, it sounds bollocks and I do sympathise. Years of being a pushover myself have led to similar exeriences. Hopefully OH can sort it.

If you do go down the council route, perhpas have a think about how likely you are to try an dmove in the near future as disputes oftem end up being disclosed to potential buyers.

mumblechum1 Fri 11-Jul-14 10:10:38

I'm not sure that reporting nuisance noise is actually a dispute, though?

guinnessgirl Fri 11-Jul-14 10:32:17

have you ever seen Keeping Mum? grin
<unhelpful>

alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 10:34:02

No guiness - should I?

DilysMoon Fri 11-Jul-14 10:58:05

Sounds awful I would contact environmental health at your local council. They may give you a noise monitor and then intervene. Poor dogs home alone all that time.

We had similar when next door got chickens and a cockerel (average 70's semi, small garden). It woke then 2yr old ds at 5 every morning and it really did have a detrimental effect on all of us. I spoke to Environmental Health and they suggested speaking to neighbour first and taking it from there which I did and they got rid of it, apparently hadn't realised it was a cockerel chick when they got it and had been trying to find another home for it.hmm

spindlyspindler Fri 11-Jul-14 11:18:33

They need to get him a companion. Another animal might help. If they don't want to do that, tell them about the website called "Borrow My Doggy" which matches up dogs that need humans with humans that miss dogs. I know this sounds unproductive but I doubt environmental health will help much - they've certainly not helped me, not even when my neighbour was drilling out his chimney breast at 3am hmm

alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 12:56:47

The dog has a companion, spindly - as I said before they have two dogs, one of which (huge bear of a creature) we never hear but they are kept together and given the run of the house barr living room and bedroom doors being closed. It echoes as well because the dogs seem to spend the majority of the time in the hall which of course echoes hugely (wooden floors in the hall!). DS's bedroom is against their landing wall, you can imagine it is literally like the dog is our house not theirs. I do feel sorry for it, very much so. Admittedly I can't see where else they could keep them in the day, if they're not willing to shut them in the living room where we would hear him less.

Today I am working from home and since about 7.30am I've not heard it at all, except for when the postman came and set it off for about 20 mins. It's the early morning factor which is a killer!

As I said H is going to 'bump into him' outside later, and bring the subject up. Not looking forward the son being around over the holidays either!

spindlyspindler Fri 11-Jul-14 13:02:01

Oh, sorry, I missed that they had two dogs. The only thing I can think of is that they shut them in a room that isn't on the landing side. It must be driving you nuts, I really feel for you (and I love dogs and have always owned them)

FoxyHarlow123 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:04:20

Do you have other neighbours? If so, send an anonymous letter through the post. Don't say anything to id yourself but word it something like for the love of all that is holy, shut that friggin yappy little shit of a dog up before I get an air rifle please have some consideration for your neighbours and stop your dog from barking all day. The very kindest of regards.

FoxyHarlow123 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:04:44

Do you have other neighbours? If so, send an anonymous letter through the post. Don't say anything to id yourself but word it something like for the love of all that is holy, shut that friggin yappy little shit of a dog up before I get an air rifle please have some consideration for your neighbours and stop your dog from barking all day. The very kindest of regards.

alabasterangel Fri 11-Jul-14 14:08:23

No other neighbours, they are the end of the terrace!!

leadrightfoot Fri 11-Jul-14 14:30:47

One tactic that does work (but they need to be in for) is knock on the door when dog is barking and when they answer say "please show me the vet report that says your dog medically has to be left barking non-stop for prolonged periods of time."
usually followed by a blank stare from them or spluttering then followed by (from me) "as you cannot then take this as fair warning I will be contacting EH and the dog warden about this cruelty leaving a dog barking constantly"

If they are out then you have no choice but to calmly say what has been happening and how long it goes on for, that you have been keeping a diary of the dates / times and durations of barking. Then you will have to follow through and actually go to EH or dog warden about this.

It is not fair on the dog and perhaps a simple leave radio on tuned to talk station in day would help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now