Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So sick of being overweight...

(151 Posts)
PoirotsMoustache Fri 11-Jul-14 08:45:31

and thoroughly fed up of not being able to stick to any sort of change of diet sad

This is just a rant/getting this off my chest, so feel free to stop reading now! Also a first-world problem, and entirely of my own making.

My mum put me on a diet at 14, although I wasn't overweight (genuinely! size 10-12). I have a pear-shaped body and have a big very rounded bum, whereas she was always skinny as a teen, so she understandably thought I was overweight rather than shaped differently to her.

I'm 35 next month, and a size 20-22. I even have a couple of size 24 pairs of jeans. And I'm just expanding. I've been yo-yo dieting for over 20 years, and I'm bigger than ever!

I know the best thing to do is reduce calorie intake/increase the amount of calories I'm burning. I know what I need to do. I've done well much of this year, using My Fitness Pal and sticking to 1450-1500 calories a day. But every six weeks or so, I get fed up and go back to my bad eating habits and put the 9lbs I've lost back on. Rarely seem to lose more than 9lbs before giving up. And I loathe the thought of exercise, so tend to avoid it, although I do actually enjoy certain things once I get going. But it's hard to get going when you're avoiding doing it in the first place!

So, yes, it's my fault I'm overweight, and it's my fault that I don't exercise and don't stick to healthy eating and changes in my diet. And yes, it's down to me to change things, I am the only one who can change it.

But it still sucks and I still hate it! Why is it so feckin hard to lose weight, and so bloody easy to put it on?! Sometimes I can almost feel the fat creeping on my hips when I eat something calorific.

And why the hell does the fatty/high calorie food taste so much better than the lower fat/calories food? Why?!!

Well, I'll shut up now. Thank you for reading, if you got this far. I just needed to offload, and I didn't want to burden my DH with it, he has enough to deal with.

Only1scoop Fri 11-Jul-14 08:49:57

Ever tried Slimming World....I don't feel like I'm on a diet or deprived in any way....

hollyisalovelyname Fri 11-Jul-14 08:52:17

Poirot - I feel your pain.
I just need to lose a stone.
I have no willpower and am disappointed with myself.
I read in the DM about these amazing people who have lost 4/5/6/7 stone and I can't lose a measly 1.
I despair.

PoirotsMoustache Fri 11-Jul-14 08:52:42

Thank you for replying, Only1scoop Yes, I've tried Slimming World about 7 or 8 times over the years. It worked really well the first few times, but then it stopped being so effective.

I think I'm just fed up of watching what I eat. I want to be able to just eat stuff and not worry, even though that is never going to happen. 20 years of weighing/checking/adding calories/points/syns has done me in! smile

PoirotsMoustache Fri 11-Jul-14 08:54:55

hollyisalovelyname Goodness, yes, the lack of willpower is so demoralising, isn't it? You look at yourself and think 'Right, that's it, I'm absolutely going to lose this weight, no doubt about it'. And then half an hour later, you're scoffing down a packet of pringles and a leftover slice of pizza. Or maybe that's just me... blush

Only1scoop Fri 11-Jul-14 08:56:11

Try the new Extra easy on line I stuff myself and still manage to lose....

I had tried these clubs in the past and never lasted more than a couple of months....

I know it's hard is there a reason you are thinking about this at the moment? I always find the onset of summer harder....<can't hide in my capes n leggings> confused

PeppermintInfusion Fri 11-Jul-14 08:57:41

Have you tried having a cheat day once a week so you don't feel so deprived? When I was losing weight last year it helped me stay on track as I knew that one day u was going to have a Chinese/fancy meal/something I really wanted. Then I had maybe one other day I allowed myself chocolate/crisps.
Apart from that I stuck loosely to slimming world.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 08:58:31

If you swap to a more plant based, unprocessed diet, you will be able to eat more bulk which will make you feel more satisfied.Away from the food industries dirty tricks with food, your body will reset itself and feel more satisfied without the highs and lows a convenience diet produces.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 11-Jul-14 09:01:33

You need appetite suppresents. I was on them for a year and lost six stone. They gave me the kick start i needed to stop binge eating, eat smaller portions and exercise regulary. Its been three years now and i've kept it off.
Doctors can prescribe them.
Everyone on here will tell you they're evil but obesity was killing me, whats worse for you?

Could you think about a low-carb approach? You fill yourself up with so much lovely food that you don't have space for the junk.

I've been low-carbing for 18 months now, thanks to BIWI's fantastic thread - I'm slim and I rarely feel hungry - which is the dream, isn't it?

It might be worth having a look at some of Zoe Harcombe's work. She explains why the addiction to highly refined carbs is so strong.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 11-Jul-14 09:02:53

And i will always have a big bum and chunky thighs! Its my shape. Still do and i have a normal bmi.

Oleoleole Fri 11-Jul-14 09:03:40

I have had reasonable success with Easyloss Virtual Gastric Band iPhone/iPad app, though I'm in the early days.

I have tried SW and WW in the past but like most people, have a bit of success on them, then find they're not sustainable and eventually gain more weight than I lost.

As a 16 year old my skinny obsessed fuckwit of a mother took me to a slimming club. I was 9 stone 1 lb. My target weight was 8 st 7 lbs which I achieved in 3 weeks. I've pretty much been on a diet since and I'm now 13 plus stone! Diets don't work.

The ELVGC has relaxing hypnosis sessions to listen to. They also sort out, randomly, any sleek issues you may have. There are 4 guidelines to follow, the main one being only eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not any more.

There's a Facebook support group where many people have lost stones and stones following the guidelines and listening to the sessions.

There's a lite version of the app available free to try out.

I'm not pushing this on you but I have a similar diet background to you and feel this time I've found something that clicks with me.

Oleoleole Fri 11-Jul-14 09:04:20

*sleep not sleek

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 09:07:26

Agree re:refined carbs too.

Carbs aren't bad.But refined carbs are.

ThatBloodyWoman Yep - broccoli is full of carbs, but I still eat some most days.

I want to take back 'slim', that isn't the dream - still on my first coffee - fit is the dream for me.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 09:13:45

OP, can I recommend that you watch ' Foodmatters' if you have Netflix.

Also one called 'Fat, sick and nearly dead'

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 09:14:29

And read 'The china study' by T Colin Campbell.

ThePowerOfMe Fri 11-Jul-14 09:15:28

I have absolutely rubbish willpower and I completely empathise with what you've written.

I've found that skipping breakfast works wonders for me. It seems to blunt my appetite so I don't actually feel like eating all day long. As long as I'm organised and have lunch and dinner sorted, I lose weight.

Its been an amazing revelation to me after years of thinking I need to start the day with a healthy breakfast.

Have you got a friend who could force you to go out and exercise? One who'll turn up three times a week and make you go for an hours walk with them.
Once you start exercise after a few times it gets a little addictive. Hard to believe but it is true.

Sirzy Fri 11-Jul-14 09:19:45

the tough thing is finding something you can do and stick with for life, unfortunately the biggest battle is often the mental one. I have lost 5.5 stone in the last year and its still a daily battle, but one I am winning.

I am a member of a group called HOOP (helping overcome obesity problems) on Facebook which is fantastic for support

Itsfab Fri 11-Jul-14 09:20:25

I have tried 4 different ways to lose weight. I am currently 9lbs heavier than I was at Christmas and I hate myself. When I actually manage to lose weight it is only ever a stone. It seems my body gets used to whatever I am doing and will not lose any more. I really want to a stone and feel like crying as nothing is working at the moment.

I have done Diet chef, pig to twig, 5:2 in the last 2 years. Only 1 stone 4lbs down since I realised I was so over weight though at my best I had lost 2 stone since I started. Lost the same stone at least twice. Feel one of the plans was great to start but has been the worst for messing up my body and now nothing is working.

AnotherFurry Fri 11-Jul-14 09:20:32

OP I am constantly watching my weight as I yo yo lots and can easily start to pile on the pounds if I don't keep an eye on it. In fact I am trying to lose 1.5 stone that I added through emotionally eating at the beginning of the year. I won't offer any advice as to what to try as I know it is a very personal thing in that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

Just wanted to say I kind of know what you mean as my DH and I are the same and often say its shit that we can afford to eat out lots and buy tasty calorific food but instead have to munch on healthy boring veg loaded stuff to try and keep the weight down.

PoirotsMoustache Fri 11-Jul-14 09:21:14

There are so many different eating plans! I don't wanna watch what I eat!! [petulant child emoticon]

Seriously though, thank you for all the suggestions. I will look into them, and see if any would work for me.

I put a dress on this morning for work, and it felt tighter than usual. That was enough to make me feel crap again, especially as I started my calorie counting yet again last Tuesday. That lasted 3 days!

By the way, it's not a hunger thing. If I only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full then I actually don't eat all that much. But I have food 'issues' in that I have always been a comfort eater, and have failed to get out of that cycle, despite being aware of what I'm doing. And I got married just under 3 weeks ago, so am still having meals out and beers with my husband, using 'we're still in the honeymoon period' as an excuse.

He's lovely and slim by the way. Git. grin

I think I need a proper change-of-diet-and-lifestyle buddy. I was doing calorie counting with one of my sisters, but my other sisters have joined in and I somehow got left out of exercise plans. Possibly because I don't drive and have a young son and live an extra 10 minutes out from the others. And I know I can't do this by myself, I need someone to do it with me.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 09:24:43

You can do it by yourself.
Or, put another way, you are the only one who can do it.

PoirotsMoustache Fri 11-Jul-14 09:31:47

Ooh, x-posted with lots!

I'd love to skip breakfast, but I genuinely get a hunger headache and feel sick and shaky if I don't have it. I find at weekends I eat less during the day, because I'm busy and don't snack, and actually don't need much at lunchtime. But I eat at my desk during the day. Not tons, just maybe a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar mid morning (yes, if I didn't bring snack s I wouldn't eat them, and sometimes I deliberately don't so that I have to wait till lunch), because I'm so bored.

I know what I need to do, I honestly do. I just can't seem to bloody well do it for long enough! Here is a list of what I've tried over the years:

Cutting out all junk food/fatty snacks
Slimming World (several times)
Weight Watchers (twice)
SureSlim (several times)
Calorie Counting (so many times)
Tesco's diet plan/Lighter Life thing
My Fitness Pal
Rosemary Connelly
Wii Fit
Eating only less than 5% fat foods
Detox diet
Slimfast (never again)

All I need to do is reduce my intake, be more choosy about what I eat and exercise more. All! Ha!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now