Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone is South East/Sussex help me please?

(23 Posts)
avocadoaddict Fri 11-Jul-14 07:47:27

Hi everyone. It's my DH's 40th birthday in a few weeks. He just wants to do something low key during the day before DD's (11 weeks old) bedtime early evening. We thought it would be nice to spend the morning/afternoon walking in a country park or woods, relaxing under trees, maybe feeding ducks and having lunch at a tea room....not necessarily all of those things but just a day outside somewhere lovely. I don't know anywhere like this in my area and Dr Google hasn't been much help. Ideally it would be dog friendly too so we can take our boy with us.

Does anyone have any ideas please for a nice day out? thanks

BeckAndCall Fri 11-Jul-14 07:50:34

How about RHS Wisley? On the A3 just north of Guildford.

CecyHall Fri 11-Jul-14 07:53:51

Bedgebury? That has woods, pinetum, ducks. It has a cafe but it's not really a quaint tea room iyswim, it's nice there though. Nice paths for a buggy if you take dd and I'm pretty sure it's dog friendly.

Fairlight near Hastings has a country park with fab sea views and a tea room, dog friendly but some bits aren't as easy with a buggy so a sling might be better.

OwlCapone Fri 11-Jul-14 07:56:53

Sheffield Park? Dogs are allowed in the parkland but not the landscaped gardens.

Groombridge Place but it is in Kent and doesn't allow dogs. I seem to remember the giant swings were fun though.

ShoeJunkie Fri 11-Jul-14 07:58:01

Petworth?

Eminorsustained Fri 11-Jul-14 07:59:37

Wisely is lovely and of course has greenhouses if the weather turns.

Kew gardens ( ditto ) are pretty special. But obviously there are plenty of people milling around.

Mole Valley around Dorking is very pretty. Lots of hills and woodland.

Google Map :

Coldharbour, Surrey
Box Hill
Leith Hill / Tower
Friday Street / Stephan Langton
Ranmore
Newlands Corner

( the latter being near Guildford which is always good for a saunter )

ZuzuandZara Fri 11-Jul-14 08:05:43

Stamner park outside Brighton. Lovely woods with fabulous trees. Low key cafe where you can take dogs or posh stamner park house where your dog can go into the garden only but a lovely place to sit on a nice day.

I second Dorking and surrounding areas. Leith Hill is lovely but really steep. Box Hill is lovely with superb views, you can drive to the top and there's plenty of parking. Haven't tried the tea room as we usually take a picnic.

Ranmore is one of my favourite walks and as the path is part of the North Downs Way it is well kept. No tea room though.

Newlands Corner is great, though can get busy. Good tea room and amazing views.

All of the above are fine for dogs.

Arundel has a boating lake, wildlife & wetlands place, park, tea rooms,am castle & is a nice place to potter around.

If you wanted a village stroll, check out Shere. Free parking, pretty village with a couple of nice pubs, river with ducks, field and forest walks all around.

LIZS Fri 11-Jul-14 08:20:15

Groombridge is lovely , Hever , Penshurst, Leeds castle

captainmummy Fri 11-Jul-14 08:23:39

Reigate park or Horsham Park - both free, and huge, and dog-friendly. Reigate has a new cafe, where you can get something to eat. Both have lots of paved pathways, and lots of parking. At Horsham you could even go swimming - lovely swimming pool for little ones. Nice cafe, if you don't have the horrible coffee! And both Horsham and Reigate are worth ambling round; v nice markets towns with lovely old architecture and shops.

Or Wakehurst Place near Ardingly - beautiful walks and v interesting Visitors centre.

HenI5 Fri 11-Jul-14 08:28:04

Bodiam Castle is lonely on a nice day. Access info link tells you about buggies and dogs.

HenI5 Fri 11-Jul-14 08:31:23

Lovely autocorrected and not very successfully either hmm

HappyHippyChick Fri 11-Jul-14 08:32:31

Tilgate Park is lovely. Big park, lake (with boats for hire), small farm, massive grounds for a stroll.

Oh yes!!

the Enchanted Forest at Groombridge Place, a lovely day out! smile

NigellasDealer Fri 11-Jul-14 08:37:31

this place near Lewes

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 11-Jul-14 09:07:21

I second CecyHall's suggestions. Bedgebury is lovely. If you decide to go to Fairlight then you could follow up with a trip to Hastings old town for lunch as there are so many cafes along George Street and the High Street (I recommend The Land Of Green Ginger and Hanuschka's).

smallfishlargepond Fri 11-Jul-14 09:08:38

I would second Wisley or pottering around in Arundel. Also Uppark House is another nice national trust day out (no ducks, but there's a dairy!).

Also if you would like something a bit more educational/museumy (only a bit) then a walk round the Weald and Downland museum could work?

Lots to do in Sussex!

Finola1step Fri 11-Jul-14 09:14:27

Bedgebury - lovely even on a greyish day.

Sheffield Park - great if you prefer more landscaped feel.

Groombridge - watch out for the cheeky peacock - he once stole my chocolate cake, the fecker.

avocadoaddict Fri 11-Jul-14 09:20:33

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! New problem....how will I choose between all of the lovely sounding places?! <ungrateful moo> grin

HenI5 Fri 11-Jul-14 09:55:28

how will I choose between all of the lovely sounding places?
Nice to be spoilt for choice.

I'd first off decide if you're definitely taking the dog and then research the places on line to see which seem most user friendly with or without dog and DD.
If you really can't decide then DH will just have to have an unbirthday day out as well grin

CaptChaos Fri 11-Jul-14 10:03:48

The Ashdown Forest around Hartfield is lovely. It has the added bonus of being able to play actual Pooh Sticks on the actual Pooh Sticks bridge.

Spoiled for choice for a birthday outing maybe, but there have been lots of lovely suggestions on where you could go for a nice day out whenever you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now