Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

top tier of wedding cake for christening?

(57 Posts)
missknows Thu 10-Jul-14 22:28:07

I've kept the top tier of our wedding cake on a shelf in a display cabinet with a few other wedding bits. No real plans for it tbh, was just going to chuck it when I changed the display.

Baby's christening is approaching and someone mentioned using the cake as it's tradition. I thought may as well as long as people don't actually eat it (it's 3 years old).

Was planning on taking it as it is but just done some googling and think I may have missed the point a bit as people are talking about re-icing?? i'm now confused, am I not meant to leave the little bride and groom on the top? What's the point of re-icing it if noone is going to eat it?

Help?

TobyLerone Thu 10-Jul-14 22:30:14

Leave the little bride and groom on the top? Are you serious?

HouseofEliot Thu 10-Jul-14 22:30:43

If it's fruit cake I think it should be ok to eat. You will need it re-iced.

catinbootz Thu 10-Jul-14 22:31:32

Lol at Toby

If its fruit cake, it will be fine as long as it hasn't gone mouldy

The icing won't be any good though, which is why people are mentioning re-icing it. The cake itself will be edible

missknows Thu 10-Jul-14 22:37:18

But fruit cake is disgusting so I don't understand why anyone would eat it anyway. You seriously think it will be fine after 3 years?

And yes I assumed you took it as it was! Glad I googled now or that would have looked stupid. Seems like if I need to re-ice and decorate I may as well just get a whole new cake. Probably be cheaper :-/

Certainly wouldn't be cheaper to get a new cake. Find a local caker, they wouldn't charge very much to re-ice it. What area are you? I'm a hobby baker and may know someone who can help you

TheWhispersOfTheGods Thu 10-Jul-14 23:05:50

You just chip off the old icing and marzipan, pour more brandy on it then re - ice it for a christening. It should be fine at 3 years old, that is why they are filled with booze.

They are pretty easy to ice yourself tbh, just a rolled icing as for a Christmas cake, and some decoration. I've got 3 top tiers waiting for babies to be born!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 23:10:34

shock fruit cake is not disgusting! Though I am a little shocked as to why you got a fruit cake layer on your wedding cake if you feel to strongly against it.

Just get a big costco sponge cake and chuck the fruit cake.

sunbathe Thu 10-Jul-14 23:13:32

I ate the entire top tier of our wedding cake! I didn't realise you were meant to keep it for the christening.

Dh was away a lot that year and I love fruit cake.

ThirdPoliceman Thu 10-Jul-14 23:18:25

Blardy hell Whispers, how many times have you been married?

306235388 Thu 10-Jul-14 23:22:06

We used out top tier at the christening, I'm pretty sure people ate it. We had it re-iced. There was almost 2 years between wedding and christening. We did also have a normal cake too.

Am more amazed that you have displays in your house with wedding bits and stuff. Mine is all in a box and has been since, erm, we got married.

Dh's parents lovingly kept their top tier in a box in the pantry from 1970 to just before their first child's christening in 1973. When they got it out they remarked on how light it was for a fruit cake, turned outit was it was an icing shell with a small hole nibbled in the base and all the fruitcake gone. Thieving little mousey buggers had eaten the lot.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Thu 10-Jul-14 23:46:16

Haha Third I've made three wedding cakes which included in them a top tier of fruit and a promise to re-ice when needed post-procreation!

Only married the once - not sure I'd have kept previous marriage's cakes for current union's offspring! shock

notapizzaeater Thu 10-Jul-14 23:48:31

I ate my wedding cake, 'twas about 6 years old and was fine grin

Downamongtherednecks Fri 11-Jul-14 00:04:38

I kept the top of mine as a Christening cake. I can only assume it worked better as an idea when women got pregnant the second they got married. When I took mine out of storage after a gap of 6 years, it was supporting its own eco-system and developed its own life-forms.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 11-Jul-14 00:13:05

I've just realised our top tier was six years old when it was used for DD1's Baptism shock blush smile. It was fine and tasty (and, yes, it was re-marzipanned and re-iced).

We kept our top tier for a christening. Turned out to be three of our four children at once. The cake must have been about give or six years old. It tasted lovely. We also had a bottle champagne from our wedding at dc4s christening so they weren't left out ( not that they gave a crap anyway)

I stored ours though. I assume others did too. I'm not sure about it just being sat there

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 11-Jul-14 00:15:48

Oh, interesting x-post!

ProtegeMoi Fri 11-Jul-14 00:18:37

Do people really do this? I've heard of it but assumed the cake was frozen or it was only when baby came along very quickly.

No way would I eat 3 year old cake!

MeerkatTargaryen Fri 11-Jul-14 00:20:48

Mine is in the freezer. It's almost 4 years old (at the end if the month). We got the top tier fruit as dh loves fruit cake but he's never got round to eating it lol. We aren't going to be having a christening - naming ceremony as we are atheist. But got to get pg first. We have problems in that dept.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 11-Jul-14 01:01:37

Protege I always assumed the alcohol the cake was fed with preserved it.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 11-Jul-14 01:01:38

Protege I always assumed the alcohol the cake was fed with preserved it.

KitCat26 Fri 11-Jul-14 06:22:58

We had it for DD1s christening about 3 years after our wedding.

I wrapped the top tier in foil after the wedding and stored it in a cool dark place. My mum (who is much handier at cake decorating than me) chipped off the royal icing and re-iced it with ready rolled icing I think. Then she put the original icing flowers back on top of the cake by way of decoration and wrote dd1's name on top.

But, we all love fruit cake, we wouldn't have bothered otherwise!

It was boozy so kept fine and still delicious after 3 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now