Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Toys you'd love to banish.

(44 Posts)

I'll start...

Rubber ducks. Disgusting things. No matter how hard I try to get the water out at the end of bath time they still fill with black mould.

Creepy dolls that cry for no apparent reason hours after dd has gone to bed - usually when dh isn't home.

Vtech walker with it's deeply irritating "hello puppy calling you" song. (Fortunately I palmed that off on sil as soon as Dniece was able to sit up)

Anyone else got anything for toy room 101?

SantanaLopez Thu 10-Jul-14 21:14:40

Glitter. All colours, sizes and shapes.

Toy instruments- surely designed to foster a hatred of music in parents and children alike!

I've got a lantern. Cheery looking mini weirdo. Think vetch too.

Creepy fucker sings " peekaboo I see you! Let's go out and play" at really odd moments. Has scared bejesus out of me at various points.

Both dds love it. Swear the damn thing is possessed.

God yes, glitter!

No longer allowed in our house since the incident with the glittery dog and toddler turds fortunately.

Dd got a band in a box for her birthday - I've put it in a box of toys to take to Mils! (Mil is hard of hearing so I don't think she'll mind as much)

Birkenvegas Thu 10-Jul-14 21:17:35

Soak them in milton!

My DD got given drums for her 1st birthday. DRUMS. They are ever so helpfully easy for a baby to play, make an enormous racket with every tiny tap.

microcosmia Thu 10-Jul-14 21:18:36

Heely's. My friends 80 yr old mum just got knocked down by a kid wearing them. Her hip is broken.

Micro I have just seen your thread. sad Poor lady. Will she be in hospital for her birthday?

I can't believe the mother just carried on - awful behaviour!angry

mawbroon Thu 10-Jul-14 21:29:15

Re the rubber ducks, I read on here once that you should put a blob of superglue over the hole when you first use them and it stops that water going inside the duck.

I've never tried it, so have no idea if it works.

I would love to banish any toy that has lots of bits regardless of what it is and how much the kids love it. Bits all over the house drive me up the wall.

In the unlikely event I ever buy any more I shall remember that Mawbroon. For the time being they are soaking in a bath of Milton.

Yy to bits. Play sets, figures, furniture, blocks, bin the lot!

ernesttheBavarian Thu 10-Jul-14 21:46:11

furby

Idontseeanyicegiants Thu 10-Jul-14 21:47:46

A set of ducks on wheels that quack 'musically' as they're pulled along on a string. 5 children (not all mine) they've been through and the buggers won't die!!

Bicnod Thu 10-Jul-14 21:48:35

Playmobil. I have an irrational hatred of Playmobil.

BreadForBrains Thu 10-Jul-14 21:50:19

Hama beads

Anything made by The Crook (aka John Adams)

Elefun - rather misleading, adding the 'fun' hmm

nipersvest Thu 10-Jul-14 21:50:36

fecking loom bands

and transformers. ds had a load and they were impossible to 'transform'

Lucylouby Thu 10-Jul-14 21:52:39

Pretty much anything that has a battery in it so it makes noise. So, the toy keyboard, the baby rattlely things that sing, the electronic drum, the noisy Peppa pig toys. My list could go on. This would still leave my children loads of toys that don't make a noise. The children won't be quiet while playing but we will take away the very annoying sounds that always seem to be playing.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 10-Jul-14 21:53:30

Guns.
They're not toys.

RiverTam Thu 10-Jul-14 21:54:09

recorder. What the hell was I thinking??? I have no-one else to blame either.

MIL bought DD the VTech walker and me and DH were completely hmm about it, but DD loved it and I think it really brought her walking on, so I actually have a soft spot for it.

blueskiesandflowers Thu 10-Jul-14 21:55:58

Yes glitter
Moon sand
Moon dough
Ink pads and stamps

RiverTam Thu 10-Jul-14 21:57:49

guns I have mixed feelings about - loads of boys had them in the past (we have a very entertaining photo from the 70s of DH with his brother (both holding what look like submachine guns) and his sister holding a doll - stereotypical, much???) and 99.9% of them will not have turned into gun-toting gangstas, but gun-crime is a real issue where we live right now so I have become more hmm about them. But them DD has a foam sword, and what's the real difference, they're both a weapon.

Passthecake30 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:58:03

Moon sand. ...I have just lobbed it in the bin. 5mins of making bricks....3 hours to clean up.

Craft sets with lolly sticks and pipe cleaners. Wtf am I supposed to help the kids create with them?

Slongette Thu 10-Jul-14 21:58:13

We've got the vetch walker - 'hello puppy calling you' arrrgghh. It's on it's 4th child over a 6 year time span with no battery change. I'm convinced it's possessed.

InSummer Thu 10-Jul-14 22:04:37

Sylvanian families sets. Don't mind the figures but the bloody bits and pieces of furniture etc drive me mad.

SociallyAcceptableCookie Thu 10-Jul-14 22:08:13

Anything by vtech. Babies love them but they are always, always annoying. My pet hate is Alfie the bear, but ds's face lights up when he sees it.

I'm making a note to Milton my bath toys tomorrow. I've been avoiding using bath toys at all after hearing about how mouldy they get.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 10-Jul-14 22:09:17

River I don't like swords or knives either.
Anything designed as a weapon is not a toy imo.

Jubelteen Thu 10-Jul-14 22:10:38

I came on here to say Heelies as well, after reading about micros friends Mum in the other thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now