Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Friends mum 80 knocked down by child in heelys - probable broken hip

(121 Posts)
microcosmia Thu 10-Jul-14 21:01:09

I just can't believe it. I met my friend and her mum while shopping earlier and they were in super form preparing for her 80th birthday party next Saturday. They went down the road towards home and a child in heely's ploughed between them on the path causing my friends mum to fall heavily. My friend knew instantly it was serious as her mum foot was at a 90 degree angle to her leg. A passer by alerted the child's mum who was coming behind and talking on her phone. She shrugged and mumbled when told her child had caused and accident and that an elderly woman was injured. She then continued on up the road and her child continued flying up the path ahead of her. I'm just so shocked this lovely lady is now in an operating theatre because another woman allowed her child to speed up a footpath like this. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your children?

KaFayOLay Thu 10-Jul-14 21:03:50

Poor woman sad.

I hate those bloody Heely things, stupid idea!

Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

SantanaLopez Thu 10-Jul-14 21:05:16

Poor woman, I hope she recovers.

I saw a child hanging out the window of a car with a watergun spraying passersby today. The driver (I'm presuming mother) didn't say a thing angry

LadySybilLikesCake Thu 10-Jul-14 21:13:52

Goodness! I hope she's OK sad

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 10-Jul-14 21:14:02

Same as parents who let their children scooter into random people and don't give a shite.

I'm still in big DM boots. No chance of wearing flip flops on the school run with that carry on. I'd have shattered toes and black and shins on a permanent basis.

Birkenvegas Thu 10-Jul-14 21:23:43

How awful. I hope she has a speedy recovery and isn’t too shaken up.

JudysPriest Thu 10-Jul-14 21:25:41

I'm so sorry. I hope she recovers soon.
Some people have no compassion.

I hope she recovers well. Poor lady. Your friend must be incensed!

Is it worth reporting to 101, just so they are aware?

spiderlight Thu 10-Jul-14 21:45:28

Oh blimey - poor lady! That's awful. A broken hip can have a major impact at that age. I hope she recovers and isn't too shaken up by it long-term. If my child had done that I would have been mortified and would probably have ended up doing all the old lady's housework and shopping for the next ten years to make amends!

Backinthering Thu 10-Jul-14 21:51:05

I'd be phoning the police. That makes me so angry. That could yet kill her and that selfish cow clearly doesn't give a shit.

Adikia Thu 10-Jul-14 21:53:42

bloody hell, I'd actually come on to say accidents happen and a kid in heelies is probably pretty young, thinking you meant a kid that was a foot or so away from their mum and just failed to steer and was then horrified that they'd hurt someone, but the mum was on the phone, shrugged and walked on whilst the kid was still going? that is horrible!

I hope the poor lady is better soon thanks

AnyoneForTennis Thu 10-Jul-14 21:54:30

Poor lady... This could be catastrophic for her

I agree scooters are just as bad. Indulgent patents thinking the little darlings are getting exercise hmm

fluffydoge Thu 10-Jul-14 21:56:36

anyone I know! if anything, scooters are lazier than just walking because you hardly have to do anything apart from occasionally swing your leg. I hope she recovers well thanks

KatieKaye Thu 10-Jul-14 21:59:09

Horrified by both child and mother.
I can't think of any child I know of an age to have heelies that wouldn't have been very upset at having knocked over an old lady, far less injured them. it sounds like they've absorbed their mother's selfish, callous attitude. how any adult could then walk away knowing an elderly lady is badly hurt defeats me.

I am so very sorry to hear of this accident and send my very best wishes to your friend's mum, wishing her a speedy recovery.

Jubelteen Thu 10-Jul-14 22:07:49

Poor lady, I hope she recovers, but sadly this might knock her confidence and she'll go from being an independent 79 year-old to a frail 80 year old.
I can't believe the child's mother just shrugged. Whatever happened to respect and consideration towards older people?

TheFairyCaravan Thu 10-Jul-14 22:25:21

Poor lady, I do hope she recovers ok.

There was a thread on here before about an old lady who had been knocked over by a child on a scooter, who ended up with a broken hip.

Why don't children walk anywhere anymore?

microcosmia Thu 10-Jul-14 22:32:07

Jubelteen that's my concern exactly about the effect on her health. A broken hip as other posters have said can be terribly serious and not everyone even survives long after it ad it can set off a chain of other health problems like pneumonia and so on. My friend is a nurse and knows this all too well. She is beside herself a you can imagine.

The consequences of this are possibly huge. She's in theatre tonight and will be out of action for weeks possibly months. My friend is worried about pneumonia and hospital infections too.

She's an independent woman who keeps active and cares for her husband who had a stroke and her adult son with learning disability. She is devoted to them both they are the centre of her world. It took a lot of persuading to get her to accept home help to help care for them, which thankfully she did in the end. I don't know what will happen to them in the short term either. If ever there was a lady who deserved her big party on Saturday it's her. She knows the family are doing something but she thinks it's a family meal but instead it's a big party in a hotel and relatives she hasn't seen in yonks are travelling from abroad to be there. The poor woman will be in a hospital bed instead. It's not right sad

KatieKaye Thu 10-Jul-14 22:57:33

Is there any way the culprits can be traced? I'm thinking that a chat from a community police officer about the consequences might do some good?

microcosmia Thu 10-Jul-14 23:05:22

I don't know KatieKaye. The mum and child left the scene at the time. My friend is preoccupied with her mum and sorting out night supervision for her dad and brother so I don't think she's thinking along those lines at the moment. DH said there might be CCTV as it's near shops and businesses but I don't know if that can be accessed if as I suspect it's not actually a crime to let your child endanger people. Well not here in Ireland I don't know about anywhere else. Obviously the child is not to blame but the mum deserves to be spoken to I agree

microcosmia Fri 11-Jul-14 00:31:04

Heard from friend her mum has a fractured femur/head of femur and fractured pelvis too. She's had surgery and pins put in. The doctors were guarded about prognosis due to her age. They just said she's as well as can be expected but she is not at all out of the woods. She has underlying health issues too, heart and lung related which are concerning them. It's a wait and see situation now I just hope she can come through this. Her 80th birthday is tomorrow.

MysteriousCircusZebra Fri 11-Jul-14 00:38:47

Crikey, I'm sorry. I know what broken hips can mean for older people. Surely theres something than can be done. I know it won't make any difference for your friends mother, but surely that boys mother has to take some sort of responsibility. At least say fucking sorry.... Or something.... angry

microcosmia Fri 11-Jul-14 00:41:36

She also said the child's mum definitely saw the accident as she shouted loudly at her when it happened. Then she walked around my friend and her mum as if it had nothing to do with her, didn't stop or offer help. Just left the woman lying on the path. Passers by asked her if the child was hers and told her the child caused the fall. She shrugged and acted as though she didn't understand what they were saying. Maybe language was an issue I don't know. But she witnessed the incident so even if she couldn't understand what was said surely she realised people were speaking about it to her.Anyway I don't know I wasn't there and my friend felt the woman was very dismissive towards her mother and made no attempt to show concern or to console her. You don't need to speak a language for that it's universal.

MysteriousCircusZebra Fri 11-Jul-14 00:50:26

It is universal op, of course it is angry

fackinell Fri 11-Jul-14 01:12:22

Find out where she lives and sue the arse off her. That is shocking behaviour!! angry

thanks For your friend's mum. Bless her heart (and poorly leg sad)

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now