Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

any one taking Amitriptyline?

(36 Posts)
loombands Thu 10-Jul-14 20:24:31

For back pain or migraines?

ive just been prescribed...would like to hear peoples experiences...how effective it is and side effects?

I used to take it. I experienced huge drops in blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, headaches, itchiness, temperature rises and constant dry mouth. It turns out I'm actually allergic to it so I may not be the best person to advise on it

skiesmylimit Thu 10-Jul-14 20:26:37

I was for migraines yes, they helped my headaches immensely. However I have recently stopped taking them, my choice, due to them making me very tired the day after, (take just before you go to bed) aswell as giving me severe dizzy spells.

skiesmylimit Thu 10-Jul-14 20:27:16

The dry mouth is a very common side affect from it. Make sure you drink plenty of water

YouMaySayImADreamer Thu 10-Jul-14 20:29:42

I took these for excruciating tension headaches and they made me so tired the next day that I couldn't function. I decided to stop in the end as the tiredness was making it harder to live my life than the headaches. I believe they are very effective though and don't affect everyone in the same way so may work great for you

yellowrose2728 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:30:10

I was on the lowest dose of 10mg for nerve pain, took before bed, but felt very drowsy the following day. Had to stop them because I have 4dc that need me to be alert.

loombands Thu 10-Jul-14 20:35:00

Oh no...i don't want to be drowsy confused did those that stopped taking it, use something else instead that is better?

MonterayJack Thu 10-Jul-14 20:35:38

Would suggest taking them early evening to try stave off the knackeredness next day. I used to take them about 6pm.

I had the dry mouth thing but the worst side-effect I had was restless legs. Because they weren't really helping with the muscle pain I was prescribed them for, I stopped taking them.

PotOfYoghurt Thu 10-Jul-14 20:35:51

I'm on 20mg for nerve pain, it doesn't do that much for the pain itself during the day but it does knock me out so I sleep well. I make sure I take it around 8pm, then I don't feel too tired during the day.

I take it for migraines, and I think the severity is lower and the frequency less. But I try to take it around 5-5.30 otherwise I find it almost impossible to get up the next morninghmm

corlan Thu 10-Jul-14 20:41:35

I've been taking them for just over a month for migraine and I'm really amazed but so far it has worked.
Very dry mouth all the time is the main side effect for me.

Groovee Thu 10-Jul-14 20:42:24

I have fibromyalgia. They have been great for my pain. I take them 12 hours before I want to get up. Otherwise I'm tired for the rest of the day.

The first 2 weeks I had a lot of dizziness and exhaustion and would literally fall asleep anywhere, dh found me sound asleep on our stairs. Once they kicked in I saw a massive improvement. It's really piled my weight back on and I feel hungry a lot, so I try to drink fluids instead. But sometimes my need to eat overtakes.

But I'd rather be fat and pain in control than thin and in agony. (it took me 18 months to get my head sorted over this)

tempe48 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:44:39

I was prescribed it for nerve pain. Starting off at 10 mg a day, rising to 80 mg a day. I could not function on 50 mg a day - I used to take it at 7 pm, literally crawl up to bed at 7.30 pm, as I was too tired to walk. Then, I was almost totally out of it until 5 pm the next day, when I woke up briefly.

It also gave me dry mouth, made going to the toilet more difficult, and affected my memory. I went back to 10 mg a day for a while. When I stopped it, my memory was much better again.

However, a friend of mine, prescribed 150 mg a day for migraines only had a dry mouth - no other side effects whatsoever!

joanofarchitrave Thu 10-Jul-14 20:45:09

DH takes it, and back pain is one of the reasons. It has been amazing; before he started it he was struggling to get to sleep due to the pain. No longer. He does get postural hypotension (dizziness when getting up) and although that's only partly settled, he manages it just by being careful about getting up. It's worth it, to him.

I took them for migraines but couldn't tolerate the side effects (low blood pressure causing dizziness, severe dry mouth and drowsiness) I now take gabapentin instead. I still have low blood pressure but not as bad, and I've not had a migraine for over a month (was having 4/5 a week)

nowahousewife Thu 10-Jul-14 20:56:45

DH used to use it but stopped due to the drowsiness it caused him. Is now having surgery to (hopefully) fix his pain issue.

Poetnojo Thu 10-Jul-14 20:58:40

I was prescribed these very short term when I was in hospital, had severe headache after lumbar puncture, couldn't even sit up in the bed for 3 days without getting a headache so severe I would vomit, was still in agony even while lying down. Doc prescribed these and they were a god send, they did knock me out though, but I hadn't slept properly in days, I did have a bit of dry mouth too, but no other adverse effects. Hope they work well for you.

loombands Thu 10-Jul-14 20:58:56

Oh, I'm scared now!

i don't want to get FATTER!! That wont help my back at all!

just taken my first tablet...looking forward to a good nights sleep at least

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Jul-14 21:02:06

I have a scoliosis and hypermobility and am prescribed this at night alongside 30/500 codeine and Diazepam in the day.

Its a recent thing as I was on Diazepam at night as well. I've been on them now for about 8 weeks. The first couple of weeks I was like a zombie in a morning but they have settled a bit now and I can get up at 7 without issues when I take it at 11pm. I sleep heavy thats for sure but more importantly I'm pain free both overnight and for large portions of the day.

PtraciDjelibeybi Thu 10-Jul-14 21:03:17

I take 20mg a day for tension headaches. I have been taking them for about five years. Can't say I have noticed any side effects, but my body does weird things anyway. Think they have helped my tension headaches as I have them less frequently but have done nothing for my migraines. Give them a try. I tried a few things - just try to keep a diary as it is hard to remember side effects a few weeks later...

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Jul-14 21:03:54

Incidentally, I was prescribed these in the same week as I had the pill. I've now had my 3 months pill check (so it's 12 weeks not 8 as I said above) and my weight is exactly the same as it was when I started.

loombands Thu 10-Jul-14 21:15:53

I have scoliosis too percy...i love codeine but it gives me headaches

i was kind of expecting to get given valium today. Am thinking, after reading the thread i might prefer to have something i don't have to take every day, in case i wanted a non-drowsy day

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Jul-14 21:21:32

Codeine can make you a bit fluffy headed. I'm supposed to take them morning, noon and evening but usually just take them in the afternoon when I've finished doing what I need to do. Once I've taken them I can't usually drive so I find myself planning my day around taking painkillers hmm

Sunnymeg Thu 10-Jul-14 21:29:03

I have taken it for 12+ years due to back pain (deformed spine). I take 10mg a night although according to the doctor I should take 30mg! If I did that I would never function. I give myself a couple of days off of it every couple of weeks as I think it does make you more sleepy although it is not meant to have a cumulative effect. If you are going to take it then make sure you read the side effects that are listed in the in information that comes with the tablets, so that you are fully aware of them. I too have put weight on, but I think it is mainly because I can't exercise like I used to be able to.

I was on it for six months until it stopped working. I found it I didn't take it (say if staying at DPs and forgetting to pack it) I simply didn't sleep. I would lay awake all night. Apart from that and the drowsiness it was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now