Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone taken more than 3 attempts to pass a driving test? Come and cheer me up

(78 Posts)
TwosaCrowd Thu 10-Jul-14 19:50:40

I started learning to drive at 17, am now 27.

Test 1 - I stopped halfway through having a panic attack, had to walk back. I don't really count this one as a proper test because I didn't fail, I cancelled it.

Test 2 - Pulling out of the test centre, failed for not leaving a big enough gap (not taking long enough)

Test 3 - Again pulling out of the test centre, failed for taking too long to pull out!

Gave up at this point, started learning to drive again in April this year (2014).

Test 4 - Failed as drove through an amber light on the bloody road back to the test centre . Only one minor for bumping the kerb in my parallel park, checked all my mirrors and blindspots etc. Almost gave up again but booked....

Test 5 - tomorrow! At 2.52 so it's going to be crazy busy with school rush hour traffic.

Itsjustmeagain Thu 10-Jul-14 19:52:09

My dh just booked his 5th after failing the first 4. One of them he also failed for taking too long to pull out at a round about!

good luck tomorrow!

Fairylea Thu 10-Jul-14 19:53:23

I passed 3rd time after 60 hours of lessons and 2 tests where I didn't even get in the car I was so nervous. .. and I was 32. So there's always hope!

5 years later I love driving smile

You'll get there. X

TwosaCrowd Thu 10-Jul-14 19:56:21

Oh it's so annoying the taking too long to pull out fail isn't it.

Thanks Fairylea - I know quite a few people (including my driving instructor!) who took 3 attempts. In my head I don't count the 3 when I was 17, I definitely don't count the first, so tomorrow is, in my head anyway, my second attempt.

Muskey Thu 10-Jul-14 19:56:52

Passed on 9th attempt it was however over a long period of time....on one occasion I hit a sheep (in my defence it was a rural location and the sheep had suicidal tendencies. When I did pass it was on .....Friday 13th....good luck

FatherSpodoKomodo Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:26

I also took 5 goes, though I didn't actually make it to my first one as I went completely wrong on a roundabout and smashed into the kerb puncturing the tyre on my instructors week old car. blush

My second one I was actually really ill on with a stomach bug but didn't want my instructor to think I was chickening out, but spent most of the test trying not to throw up.

Third - distracted by a squirrel in a three point turn and bumped the kerb.

Then it all blurs and I finally passed the same day as my 12 week scan when I was pregnant with DS1.

I am good driver - honest! Been driving 16 years now, only had one little prang.

TwosaCrowd Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:45

You hit a sheep!! I'm hoping that it's not my luck that I won't go and hit a child tomorrow (what with it being school kick out time)....

FatherSpodoKomodo Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:55

Good luck for tomorrow! 5th time lucky!

magpiegin Thu 10-Jul-14 19:58:12

I passed on number 6 or 7. Keep at it. You'll get there in the end!

sanityawol Thu 10-Jul-14 19:59:50

5th time lucky (was for me, anyway)

Good luck tomorrow... don't dwell on the past tests - after all, if it hadn't been for the amber light, you'd have had a pass last time.

Muskey Thu 10-Jul-14 20:01:44

Rural Wales ....like I said suicidal definitely not my fault

ajandjjmum Thu 10-Jul-14 20:02:20

Good luck - remember no drivers are perfect, it's just a case of the luck being with you on the day - so fingers crossed! smile

Xmasbaby11 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:04:44

5th time lucky for me too! I was 29 and had had lessons on and off over the years.
That was 9 years ago.
I'm not a natural driver and still have to make an effort, but I'm glad I did it.

Penguin0fMadagascar Thu 10-Jul-14 20:06:36

You will be one of the very few people to know that it took seven attempts for me to pass my test! The one I actually passed, I finished the test, turned to the examiner and asked him what I had failed on - he said I had passed, and that if i carried on driving the way I had I would be a very good driver! Good luck!

roundtoit Thu 10-Jul-14 20:07:30

I passed on no 4. No 3 test I had the examiners examiner in the car with me I thought I had done ok but still failed. Stick at it, you will get there .

Timeforanewname2014 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:08:05

It was number 5 or 6 for me blush what helped me crack it in the end was just getting an automatic licence double blush

OneInAMillionYou Thu 10-Jul-14 20:08:42

I passed on my 5th, following a catalogue of calamities on my previous tests that would have finished anyone off! This includes the sudden onset of a BLIZZARD half way through my third.
Decades later I have never had an accident, love driving and have never looked back!
You will get there, and that exhilarating freedom that comes with the independence of driving will always stay with you.
Really good luck!

BikeRunSki Thu 10-Jul-14 20:14:23

Test 1, 17, failed, not by much and can't remember why.
Test 2, 19, failed. Can't remember why.
Test 3, 19, went wrong way (r instead of l), got stuck in roadworks, v late back to rest centre. Failed.
Test 4, 19, failed eyesight test, didn't get in car.
Test 5, 19, had really bad cold which clearly chilled me out a bit. Passed.
Same examiner for tests 2, 4, 5. He knew my middle name by the time I passed!

TwosaCrowd Thu 10-Jul-14 20:15:36

I should add I'm also 31 weeks pg so it's even more pressing that I pass soon! I'm not holding out hope for tomorrow...

CMOTDibbler Thu 10-Jul-14 20:20:23

I passed 4th time. I have driven a lot ever since with no issues. DH passed 3rd time when he was 30, and similarly does a lot of miles with no issues

littlewhitebag Thu 10-Jul-14 20:53:32

Not me, but DD1, took 7 goes to pass her test. It took her a while to feel confident driving once she passed but two years on she is fine.

2isamagicnumber Thu 10-Jul-14 21:02:09

I passed on my 4th or 5th test, can't remember now!

Had loads of lessons on and off. Eventually passed when I was 25.

On the test I actually passed i thought I'd failed early on so just relaxed, I use to get very nervous. Couldn't believe I passed!

Ownerofalittlechimp Thu 10-Jul-14 21:40:21

I passed on my 4th attempt. Super nervous on last one but had my instructor with me (he wanted to figure out what I was doing in tests that was so different to lessons) & in my head it was just like a lesson then so that relaxed me somewhat.

I did spend lots & lots of time familiarising myself with the test area so that nothing came as a huge shock (had a tendency to get a bit flustered on junctions/roundabouts that I didn't know well or at all).

Good luck x

nancy75 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:44:57

My mums friend failed 7 times, on her 7th attempt she went the wrong way round a round a bout, over the pavement and in to a greengrocers shop (luckily nobody was hurt) - op you can't possibly have a test as bad as that !

KeeperOfBees Thu 10-Jul-14 21:45:31

9 times blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now