Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

DD is in a quandry about university offers. Opinions please.

(64 Posts)
AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:43

She was planning to go to University A. Got the points. All good.

She sort of accidentaly applied to B on a whim. They wanted way more points and it's a major program. But there was a gap on the form so she thought it would be amusing to apply.

Only she just checked and B has accepted her.

I know little of these things and she wants my opinion.

What do you thunk?

LadyStark Thu 10-Jul-14 19:39:33

What's A and what's B?

Without that it is pretty hard to advise.

FauxFox Thu 10-Jul-14 19:40:40

Has she visited both? Do a pros and cons list for each covering courses/accommodation/ease of transport home/costs etc and see what comes out top?

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:41:21

A is portsmouth. Geography

B is Keel. Geography major with environmental minor.

(All gobbledegook to me)

Morethanalittlebitconfused Thu 10-Jul-14 19:41:40

What's her gut telling her?

Morethanalittlebitconfused Thu 10-Jul-14 19:42:32

Avoid B It is bad for looking after it's students. I know too many people who came out damaged, for want of a better word, from that university

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:42:33

Keel? Keal? Keele? I can't even spell it.

Visited both. Liked both. Had decided on portsmouth, I think, because they made a good, achievable offer.

SwiftRelease Thu 10-Jul-14 19:43:06

B? Keele better uni and envitonmental stuff might be directly vocationally useful

mumteedum Thu 10-Jul-14 19:43:07

I did similar when I went. I'd have to say go with gut instinct. I liked art school a on paper but at interview didn't click with it, applied to b on whim and went there. Felt it was a better fit when I visited.

Have you been to both to look around?

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 10-Jul-14 19:44:17

I would say Geog with Envi would probably set her up better for a career. She would then be able to apply for jobs that fall into both categories. She needs to really think about what she wants to do AFTER uni, but I would advise the joint course.

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:46:36

I think joint opens more options.

She's all in a tizz. But has deferred a year so plenty of tome to think about it.

hackmum Thu 10-Jul-14 19:47:19

I don't know which is best for your DD. The only thing I can advise is that Porsmouth is a post-1992 uni (ie former poly) and Keele is a more traditional uni, and therefore might have the edge if these things still matter.

Keele is quite small, though, and a bit rural, iirc, so Porsmouth might be more enjoyable in terms of social life.

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:49:26

Maybe we should go on a jaunt to have another look.

Thanks all btw. It's useful to just sound it out without confusing me/her any more.

ImperialBlether Thu 10-Jul-14 19:53:04

Has she already taken her A levels and had her results? If not surely they would only be conditional acceptances?

Wait4nothing Thu 10-Jul-14 19:54:25

A family member who works in a university said recently to avoid keele at all costs - it's held as an example of how not to run a university.

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:55:08

I.b. got results last saturday. Took her until today to check ucas.

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 19:56:01

Interesting. 2 Avoid Bs. Any details?

bigTillyMint Thu 10-Jul-14 20:00:35

Aside from the courses, isn't Keele a campus uni whereas Portsmouth isn't? Which one is easier to get to from home?

birdboo Thu 10-Jul-14 20:01:37

As Keele alumni I would say Keele not just for that reason but for the Environmental department. It really depends on what she wants out of uni. Keele is a small community, everyone seems to know someone and can get a little claustrophobic at times but other times the community spirit is amazing. Everything is very campus central. As for the social side of things a lot of it is very Union central which again fits in with the community side of things.

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 20:04:05

Campus vs city....

Am making a list of things for a for/against list.

She'll just sigh and tell me to stop being a helicopter.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Thu 10-Jul-14 20:04:44

I'll inbox you

AtYourCervix Thu 10-Jul-14 20:05:37

Thanks

Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 20:17:24

So she is having to decide which is her Firm and which is her Insurance Offer.

Are either of then Unconditional? Or are they both conditional?

I am assuming she is waiting for her A level results... oh, no, you said she has the points, so they should both be Unconditional offers...

So, yes. The whole thing will come down to which does she prefer.

One really useful thing to do is to go and look at the module choices for both degrees. Look at all 3 years module names and contents, which does she think are more interesting? Accept that one!

You'll find them on the Uni website, almost all have a lot of information freely available.

Madrigals Thu 10-Jul-14 20:24:36

Look at Uni rankings (Portsmouth comes below Keele by several places in most of the tables iirc) and reputation of the institution. You can get links on wikepedia iiirc.

Unless she fell in love with Portsmouth as a place and Uni and with the course there, I would say Keele has a better reputation as a longer established red brick.

McBear Thu 10-Jul-14 20:34:13

I'm from Stoke so say keele.

I also think the course at keele sounds much better for setting up a good career. From what I've heard it's an excellent UNi. I visited it once and thought it was really nice!

If she gets scared she can visit my mum for a cuppa haha!

Which is closer to home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now