Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Right. There seems to be an influx of staff at work doing Herbalife. What do you know about it?

(25 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 19:26:15

All these people, carrying around what looks like adult sized sippy cups, with something bland and thick looking it them? And bottles of stuff that looks like Liptons tea!

What's it all about? I keep giving hmm looks to people when they tell me how much they've lost etc. Can't help thinking that eating less shit, would help with the weight lost, but maybe that's just me!

What happens when you start chewing real food again too? One of the ladies that's been on it for months has lost an enormous amount of weight, which is great, she looks amazing and I tell her so, but she's also seeing a councillor, because she doesn't want to eat real food anymore.. hmm

I've Googled to have a look, but unless you sign up, there's not much to see. I wanted to see how much it would cost.

(I'm not going to do it btw, I don't need to lose weight)

mummymeister Thu 10-Jul-14 19:32:44

its a load of tosh like all these fad diets. this is the key: put less/food energy into your body than you expend out. then you will lose weight.

canyou Thu 10-Jul-14 19:34:46

A few at work are also doint it I know they pay €50 ish a month for the shakes extra for the choc bars and the exercise class. One girl had a gastric band and with that and the 'plan' she has lost 9 stone, but she has no clue about healthy eating pr portion control.
I think they get everything cheaper by bringing people in.
Not for me I will walk an extra round of the park and enjoy my chocolategrin

katcatkat Thu 10-Jul-14 19:35:18

Its multi level marketing with a really hard sell. The products are very expensive with a high mark up for those doing the selling.

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 19:35:48

lol! My sentiments exactly!

One girl, who is so not overweight to start with, keeps collapsing, but is insistant that it's because she's had tonsilitis recently!

SquattingNeville Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:28

It's a fad, they'll put the weight back on when they come off it (if they dare). MIL is a fitness instructor and is always talking about how evil it is, and how she won't allow her clients to promote it in her classes because of how unhealthy it is.

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 19:39:10

Ya see, I don't get the chocolate bars! Why in gods name would you still be eating chocolate bars if you were on a diet! It's just not teaching healthy eating or portion control!

I know it's easy to say these things, when you're not overweight and I'm not addiction free myself, but surely spending £50 a month on a healthy eating programme, would achieve the same results and retrain your mind to eat properly at the same time.

canyou Thu 10-Jul-14 19:41:25

Maureen they are actually protien bars woth a choc or a caramel flavour. I was never brave enough to try them

SquattingNeville Thu 10-Jul-14 19:41:51

Maureen That sounds about right! One of DP's colleagues did the Cambridge Diet, or some such shake based diet. She lost a crapload of weight really quickly, and refused to come off the shakes. She was admitted to hospital after being on shakes for 3 months and had to have her gall bladder removed. The hospital had a job getting her to eat solid food, and the doctors told her no more shakes. Guess what she was doing again less than 2 weeks after getting out of hospital. This was all very publicly documented on Facebook, incase anyone is wondering how I know all that wink.

It's dangerous for a lot of people IMO, it removes confidence in your ability to feed yourself and builds on the fear of what real food does (i.e. makes you "fat")

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Thu 10-Jul-14 19:46:04

It's isolated soy protein which in itself is ridiculously unhealthy and causes all sorts of health issues, and that's without all the added rubbish!

Not to mention it's sold by your average joe who has absolutely no nutrition training whatsoever.

Yes ppl will lose weight by replacing meals with shakes but at what cost?

What makes my skin crawl more than anything is that ppl who don't know much about nutrition actually believe that not only do you lose weight but you will have optimum health! It's frightening what these "wellness coaches" are teaching. I actually wonder if they could tell me anything about isolated soy protein because they are fairly convincing at pretending it's healthy.

fuzzpig Thu 10-Jul-14 19:46:35

It's just the latest craze isn't it. Like tony ferguson or whatever.

YAWN!

I have never participated in any of these things as I've learnt too much from my mum's experiences.

fuzzpig Thu 10-Jul-14 19:47:26

(I'm yawning at the craze itself BTW, not your post, in case you thought I was being rude to you Maureen grin)

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 19:54:24

grin No, I got ya. It's mad isn't it?

I will watch with interest what happens to the girl tht doesn't eat. She's got into this habit and routine and the school holidays are about to start, so her routine is going to change somewhat for 6 weeks.

I wonder what she'll look like in September! grin

NorbertDentressangle Thu 10-Jul-14 19:56:37

Has it been around for years as I'm sure I remember it (or something with a very similar name) when I was at college in the late 80s/early 90s?

Someone on my course was selling it to make a bit of money (lord knows why as students are notoriously skint!)

MammaTJ Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:18

It's another MLM scheme with a crazy diet attached!

CaptChaos Thu 10-Jul-14 19:58:49

Tell them that, if they want to give their money to someone and see absolutely no results, I am happy to accept both cash and cheques. I might also write them a thank you letter.

HL and J+ are just awful awful wastes of time and money.

offtoseethewizard64 Thu 10-Jul-14 20:01:00

I'm ashamed to admit that I tried this diet about 10 years ago as one of my friends was selling the stuff. I lost about 1 1/2 stone by having meal replacements for breakfast and lunch and a normal meal at tea time. I drank 2 litres of what looked like piss from someone who is dehydrated every day and took what can only be described as horse pills.
I have never been so constipated in my life.
As soon as I came off the diet plan and started eating cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch, the weight crept back on.
I am however proud to say I learnt a very important lesson and have not touched a diet since. I go to the gym 3 times a week and cut out crap if I put on a few pounds.

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 20:04:09

Hey, you could be on to something there!

DH is a fabulous cook and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. (Just to prove the point that you don't have to be over weight or unfit to get it! He swims 60 lengths a day and eats very well!)

Anyway, since his diagnosis, he's made the necessary adjustments to his diet and consequently mine, because he does all the cooking! I've lost 9 lbs without even trying! I could sell 'DH meals on wheels'! grin

The only person who I know who used HL lost a shedload of weight, really quickly.

She's now way heavier than she ever was, just a few years after she stopped.

DinoSnores Thu 10-Jul-14 20:05:54

"Ya see, I don't get the chocolate bars! Why in gods name would you still be eating chocolate bars if you were on a diet!"

I've no objection to people eating chocolate while on a diet, but I don't like the word 'diet' and think that gradually changing your eating and exercise habits into long term sustainable changes and a heathy diet of everything in moderation (so chocolate isn't banned, it is just that none of us should eat it all the time/every day) is far better and will lead to more sustainable gradual weight loss, even if it doesn't have quite the drama of these awful fad diets.

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 20:07:45

Wizard, you don't need to be ashamed.smile As I said, it's all very easy for me to say it's bollocks, when I don't have a weight issue.

I'm glad you've found the light though! One day I'll find the light when it comes to smoking.... blushgrin

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 10-Jul-14 20:07:49

I did it for about 3 months a few years ago before my wedding. It's a glorified slim fast type diet, shakes twice a day, protein powder to make them more filling, then there were nasty tea type replacement things and soy nuts. I lost about a stone, so probably less than if I had done it properly by eating less crap and more vegetables, and cost about £120 a month I think. The reps are very persistent, I had to hide from mine because he wouldn't take it when I said I didn't want to do it anymore.

RJnomore Thu 10-Jul-14 20:11:52

Girl at my work has just started it. It's £10 for three days trial then £30 a WEEK so £120 a month not £50.

She lost no weight at all in the three days and is really upset as apparently you should lose about six pounds.

I looked at the packet. I am certain I read it right and it is 21 grams of sugar in the vanilla shake. And then an 80mg caffeine tablet.

You'd be better with a mars bar and a red bull. And I say that as someone who does use protein shakes (for weightlifting) and caffeine tablets, I know they aren't clever, but I do eat very very well round about them.

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jul-14 20:12:49

I tried one of those detox things once. It was just all juices for the first day. I think I lasted until about 11am, before I was desparate to actually chew something! grin

Suzannewithaplan Thu 10-Jul-14 20:18:58

evil madness
exploiting people's weaknesses for financial gain
real food is the best thing for health

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now