Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ok, talk me through what to do after big bump on the head

(19 Posts)
PandasRock Thu 10-Jul-14 18:44:58

you'd think I would know by now. ds is my third child. and gets into more scrapes than the other 2 put together.

he is 2. just got up off the sofa, and fell straight into the edge of the door. Big lump. Huge. Massive egg on his forehead instantly.

He seems fine, few tears straight away, but ok otherwise. Can tell me where he bumped. Asked for the ipad grin so clearly can sense weakness in me grin

He had to do it at bedtime, didn't he?

So, iirc (other dc are older, haven't done nightwatch for a while), I am looking out for:

nausea/vomitting/dizziness
need to make sure he rouses periodically in the night
general loss of awareness etc

anything else?

or should I take him to OOH anyway? (please say no, it's been a long enough day already, and don't fancy dragging all of them out at near enough bedtime)

GrumpyRedhead Thu 10-Jul-14 19:15:15

I don't think you need to worry about rousing him as long as he didn't lose consciousness and he hasn't vomited. Even then I think they need to have vomited more than once.

Happy to be corrected, but in your position (which I have been!) I wouldn't be too worried.

PandasRock Thu 10-Jul-14 19:35:02

has that advice changed then? was always told with my older 2 to make sure they were rousable after a bad fall.

he has stayed alert, which is good.

just off to put him to bed now.

addictedtosugar Thu 10-Jul-14 19:45:26

I don't know what the current advice is, but I'd go in a couple of times before I went to bed, and check he wriggles when I move the covers - ie not shake awake, but make sure he snuggled away / towards a change.

PandasRock Thu 10-Jul-14 19:51:12

Yes, that's what I've always done, addicted.

Will check on him later, and dh is getting back after a week away so will no doubt go in for a quick hug too.

violetlights Thu 10-Jul-14 19:58:23

This happened to my PFB (20 months) last month. Rushed him to the doc - he checked his breathing and then said to apply ice (I think on and off for three hours) and then to watch for vomiting or excessive crying. I think the nhs guidelines has changed with regards to waking them through the night. I think he said just let him sleep. Hope he feels better soon!

SleepSolution Thu 10-Jul-14 20:23:07

I was told to look out also for shadows around the eyes. And not to wake throughout the night, but to check they respond, so move the duvet, touch their shoulder etc. Take it easy tomorrow - DC1 did exactly that last Monday and on Tuesday he wasn't 100%, nothing really noticeable, but a bit more whiny than usual.

cathpip Thu 10-Jul-14 20:36:13

When my ds did this whilst I was at work (nanny) my boss who is a dr applied ice, and told me to look out for vomiting, sleepiness, make sure you can rouse them unusual cry, and check that pupils are equally dilated.

PandasRock Thu 10-Jul-14 21:42:00

Thanks everyone.

He is asleep, and will go and poke him periodically wink

I should know all this, but it's been a few years since I had to do OOH type stuff with small children.

Will check pupils when next awake, and nothing planned for tomorrow except popping to the post office.

He'll be fine (they always are, aren't they?) but it was a shocker of a lump - almost as good as the one when dd head butted the corner of a table at school (she did the middle of the night vomiting, so hopefully ds won't follow in her footsteps!)

NoBusinessLikeSnowBusiness Thu 10-Jul-14 21:49:42

Big lump is generally a good sign. Far more worrying if they have a big smash and no lump. Hope your night is calm!

Fcukfifa Thu 10-Jul-14 21:49:50

My 15 month on did this exact same on the edge of the door last week, biggest egg sized lump ever!

I put ice on it straight away and just kept my eye on him.

He was absolity fine but I had plenty of shocked, didn't you take him to hospital conversations though!

Fcukfifa Thu 10-Jul-14 21:51:28

Crikey, apologies for the typos and not making much sense!

Suddengeekgirl Thu 10-Jul-14 21:54:26

Ds had concussion earlier in the year. He bange his head while jumping down the stairs hmm. Anyhow he vomited about 45 minutes later so we went to a&e. They said to let him sleep, but just make sure he stirred if I tried to wake/ move him etc. ds didn't have much of a lump or a bruise at all - I think the theory is an external lump is good, no lump/ internal damage is what gives concussion.
Ds ended up being admitted to children's ward but was right as rain by morning. Although a bit more fragile than normal for a week or two.

Checking on him in the night is a sensible plan. Hope everyone is ok! smile

PandasRock Thu 10-Jul-14 21:59:23

Yes, I was quite pleased (albeit in a shocked way) to see the lump - better out than in!

He was more than fine at bedtime - managed to correctly identify emotions in his sister for the first time ("dsis coss, mummy" grin) when she was raging about the unfairness of tidying her own clothes away (it's been a peaceful evening in the Panda household grin) and could remember and fill in words in a story I didn't know he knew, iyswim, so all good signs.

Suddengeekgirl Fri 11-Jul-14 12:32:03

How was he today?

Suddengeekgirl Fri 11-Jul-14 12:32:27

Hope you got some sleep! brew (just in case you didn't!)

KnackeredMuchly Fri 11-Jul-14 12:42:30

I realise you've sorted yourself out last night - but for future reference for anyone else reading I recently had a similar problem!!

I rang 111 when my 1yo fell over and really bashed his eye socket (ouch!) He was absolutely fine though, just my initial panic.

They wanted me to look out for any eye problems - black eyes, bleeding from the ears, a caving in rather than a bumping out, nausea, bump bigger than a 10p (I think), dizziness.

It happened to me at bedtime and I was advised to rouse him every hour (I think)

PandasRock Fri 11-Jul-14 13:25:00

He's fine, thank you smile

He have me a scare when I went up to check on him and he didn't respond to touch - normally he's a very light sleeper and me just creeping in wakes him - but I resorted to cunningness, and touched his favourite toy to his hand and he clutched it, rolled over and snuggled down - clearly a boy with his priorities right - who needs mum when you've got your favourite elephant wink grin

He is in good form today, with an impressive bruise, and hasn't learned anything from it at all as he is still dare devilling along the edge of the sofa/careering around bumping into things. Good job he's my last toddler - I can't hack this anymore grin

Suddengeekgirl Fri 11-Jul-14 18:06:20

grin good news! grin
In my experience they never learn anything from their near misses/ collisions
<glares at ds - concussion boy and currently sporting a full arm cast> hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now