Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

London foodies

(100 Posts)

Recs for nice but reasonably priced (ie pretty cheap!) places to eat in central London, please?

Adults and older teens, one of whom is veggie. Anything a bit 'different' good.

Cheers. smile

Bumpety bump?

nicename Thu 10-Jul-14 19:23:00

Whereish abouts?

FruVikingessOla Thu 10-Jul-14 19:26:56

It's a bit hard if you're looking for 'cheap' in London. Budget?

YoniMitchell Thu 10-Jul-14 19:30:44

Wahaca is cheap, there's one in Covent Garden and on the south bank. It's Mexican street food so easy to cater for different tastes/preferences (within that cuisine, obviously!)

Brasserie Zedel, near Picc Circus is also nice and reasonably priced but the veggie options may be limited. They save tables for walk-ins if you can't book and it feels more like a restaurant.

Anywhere really - Soho, Covent Garden, Kings Cross, Marylebone, wherever. Budget - dunno: up to £30 a head-ish, but cheaper good too, as we'll need feeding quite a few times! Happy to do 'nice' places at lunchtime for fixed price, and then cheaper chains in the evening, if that's a good idea.

Wahacca a definite already. smile

YoniMitchell Thu 10-Jul-14 19:32:04

Actually, are you looking to book, or just walk in? What day/time, as this will make a difference (some really upmarket places do great deals at lunch time or mid-week).

sonlypuppyfat Thu 10-Jul-14 19:32:10

We like eating at Camden market.

YoniMitchell Thu 10-Jul-14 19:33:27

Brasserie Zedel is worth checking out then!

Have you thought about afternoon tea? Places like The Wolseley do a good, filling spread in a fab setting for around £20 a head.

Walk-in, ideally, as will be fitting around shows, museums etc.

Brasserie Zedel looks a decent option, thanks.

I would love to go to The Wolseley, but not dp's scene at all, sadly.

Sonly - where/what do you like in Camden? I hated Camden last time I went (used to love it), although the fact that it was bucketing down probably didn't help.

Ktay Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:02

Leon might be worth a look. Upmarket fast food w lots of veg options. Several branches, some of which open late and have a licence.

BeginnerSAHM Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:59

£30 a head - suggest Andrew Edmunds but need to book...

Yes to Leon too.

Is Sofra any good?

£30 would be absolute tops - would want awesome for that much! Will check out Andrew E site now. Thank you.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 10-Jul-14 19:44:25

Ottolenghi (the deli) is all posh salady and lovely. The restaurant proper might be out of budget.

Leon is a lovely fast foody chain that's quite ethical, healthy and great for veggies.

Lebanese? Yalla Yalla is great, and there is a pop up in Shoreditch at the mo for max. hipster points.

MrsD0nnaLyman Thu 10-Jul-14 19:44:36

Small chain of tapas restaurants I love: opera tavern, salt yard, dehesa are amazing and really good veggie

Really nice independent French restaurants on upper street (islington)

Several ottolenghi places now, original I think in notting hill

TheSpottedZebra Thu 10-Jul-14 19:46:29

Rasa good reliable (south) Indian, and there are a couple dotted around (west end, euston...). Or obvs the Brick Lane curry is an option too.

Have never been to Shoreditch - do I need/want to? Is it East London? Anywhere near Bethnal Green?

Andrew E sample menu probably a bit too 'fussy' for the teens, I think.

Yalla Yalla looks good.

French generally not great for me.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 10-Jul-14 19:53:16

Shoreditch is kinda Old St / Spitalfields / Hoxton. Good for markets and mooching. But not really that much of a draw!

But that makes me think of... street food. On a nice day, having a mooch around all the stalls eg Broadway Market, Borough etc etc

FruVikingessOla Thu 10-Jul-14 19:53:34

The Churchill Arms, Kensington Church Street churchillarmskensington.co.uk/.

Their menu is exclusively Thai food. It's good and the portions are generous.

Germgirl Thu 10-Jul-14 19:56:53

I would echo what Zebra said, street food. Borough Market would be my top choice, lots of different stalls for different tastes.

Ktay Thu 10-Jul-14 19:57:47

Whitecross St also great for street food although not really on tourist trail unless you're at the barbican for something

andsmile Thu 10-Jul-14 20:01:35

what about convent garden - we are going there and wondered if anythign was worth a look/sniff/bite

Must admit that Borough Market has never done a great deal for me, tbh.

That Thai pub looks fab. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now