Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Close your eyes and really THINK about yourself. How old are you? And how old are your parents?

(98 Posts)
HecatePropylaea Thu 10-Jul-14 15:26:07

I am about 14 in my mind. When I really think about it. I know that in reality, I am 40, but I still feel like a teenager. I don't mean giggly and daft (say NOTHING!!!) but just my internal perception of what is me if that makes sense. I keep waiting to grow up and to feel like this magnificent grown up, but I am still just me.

Interestingly, when I visualise my parents, they are in their 30s. I can't see them as the 60 yr olds they currently are.

I wonder if there's a defining moment we have. A moment that stops us, iyswim, or if maybe I should look up from my navel and go do some ironing or something grin

nicename Thu 10-Jul-14 15:27:48

In my minds eye it is 1978. No idea why!

ivykaty44 Thu 10-Jul-14 15:28:04

My mum is forever 57 the age she died, I was 31 and heavily pg and that was how it ended, she never met my baby....

ObfusKate Thu 10-Jul-14 15:30:37

I'm 15. My sibling (we're 4 years apart) is also 15. My parents are 39.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 10-Jul-14 15:35:40

This is just how I feel. I don't feel like a grown up at all.

Frontier Thu 10-Jul-14 15:36:27

I think im 19. I still talk about when i left school as if it's relevant to those leaving school now.

My parents are "old". I've always considered them old because they were much older than my friends'parents although they were only late 20s when i was born, much younger than i was when i had ds1. Now in their 70s and starting to be properly elderly.

PetulaGordino Thu 10-Jul-14 15:37:48

7-9yo

my younger siblings are toddlers, parents 30s-40s. it still surprises me that my brothers are now men

24, in my mind. I think I was a selfish, self-absorbed teen and I think I've moved on from that.

My parents around 50.

My sisters around 30.

The result is at least 10 years extra all round.

Ivy flowers

similar to me. My Mam will always be 51 which is how old she was when she died 10 year ago. She always wanted me to have kids sadly she wasn't there when I found out I was pregnant 5 years after she died, so consequently never met my DS.

Me I am still in my 20s not the 35 yr olf I see in the mirror grin

I am about 24, the age I met DH.

Mum is 50.

In reality, we are 52 & 76.

*old not olf blush

2kidsintow Thu 10-Jul-14 15:45:23

My Mum will be 36 in my head forever - it was the age she was when I first became aware of asking her age. So it stuck.

I remember my Dad's 40th birthday vivdly so that's where he is.

I'm about 27 (although in reality I'm actually 40).

CecyHall Thu 10-Jul-14 15:47:16

I really feel my actual age and think of my parents as their age too. I'm not sure why. Maybe as I was such a dickhead as a teenager that now is a better representation of myself!

The weird thing is, if I read somebody else's age as in their 50's, I imagine them as being like my mum and not myself. grin

tilliebob Thu 10-Jul-14 15:48:41

In my minds eye my parents are always the age I am now - early 40's.

I'm in my late teens in my head - DH and I met at 15, and it's our wedding anniversary today. I've been looking at photos thinking "How is that over 2 decades ago, I'm only 15 FFS!" grin

Eldest dc will be 15 soon so I need to face facts wink

mumtosome61 Thu 10-Jul-14 15:51:10

Somewhere between 19-21. Mainly because I feel like at 29, I'm going through another "growth" phase; except this time it's in my mind and body and not the physical 'going out into the world' aspect.

I was a pretty astute teenager and old before my time really, so I guess this is my way of going back and replicated those years, minus the emotional minefield and abundant trust I gave everyone. I'm less scared of who I am and what will be, for sure.

My Mum is about 40 in my head - it baffles me that she's 53 this year. My Dad, meh, he left when I was 17 and was absent for years before that so for me, it's just...I don't know. He's 60 next year but has the emotional maturity of a teenager.

Weirdly, my brother seems older than me. Most people think he is anyway, but he's always felt like the older sibling, not the younger.

mumtosome61 Thu 10-Jul-14 15:53:15

Oh! And I still seem to think I am approachable around teenagers. I went to a BBQ at the weekend and there were some 14 year old boys playing Fifa. Was just chatting to them about football and such and realised that the skeptical looks I was receiving wasn't because I had food in my teeth but because I WAS AN ADULT and no longer fitted the criteria for "chilling with the boi's chatting about footie" - I mourned the loss of youth there.

I'm about 23. My parents are both in their 40's in my minds eye.

flappityfanjos Thu 10-Jul-14 15:53:28

To me I think it will always be 1995. I am eleven, living in books and in my own head, dimly aware that Grown Up Stuff is lurking on my horizon and not sure I'll be able to handle it. And my parents are in their mid thirties.

Dragonlette Thu 10-Jul-14 15:57:05

I think of myself as being 18-19. That was the happiest year of my life so far, I had left school but hadn't yet gone to uni/got a permanent job, so I traveled and had a whale of a time.

My parents are both in their early 40s in my head. It's always a massive shock when I see them and they are actually mid-60s and in ill health.

I am about 26 in my head, (40 in reality) my parents are still in their mid 40's, (mid 60's) and dsis is still 15 (she is 30 next year and has dd's of 6 & 8)

Dh is 30. He's always been 30, even though he was only 24 when we met. He is a grown up. I am not! grin

vladthedisorganised Thu 10-Jul-14 15:59:48

24 - I really came into my own at university and while I'm aware that I'm now a 'responsible adult' with a child, husband, mortgage and job, it all seems quite recent (as opposed to being 17 years ago).

Mum was in her early 60s when she died; I tend to think of her and Dad as mid-50s. Sometimes it surprises me to see Dad looking older - which he is!

Misspilly88 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:00:04

Am i the only one who's older in their mind?! should i be worried?

thornrose Thu 10-Jul-14 16:02:42

The weird thing is, if I read somebody else's age as in their 50's, I imagine them as being like my mum and not myself I can so relate to that!

I'm about 21/22 in my head (I'm actually late 40's). Sometimes when I get in from work and unpack shopping and stuff I sort of marvel at how grown up my life is! confused

onestepbeyond Thu 10-Jul-14 16:03:19

I:m older in my mind too misspilly!! Mid-forties I think but my mum always said I was born middle-aged! My parents are late forties/early fifties!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now