Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ideas for portable, healthy snacks for a toddler.

(33 Posts)
LegoCaltrops Thu 10-Jul-14 15:07:25

DD is 2.2 & healthy & a good eater. However we aren't really a 'snacky' family, so we've never really offered them as a regular thing. She is perfectly capable of telling us when she is hungry, anyway, & might only ask for a snack once or twice a week. So, I would be interested to know what healthy snacks people carry to give their young DCs. I want something portable, inexpensive, that won't go off too quick or crumble in my bag, not too sugary or salty.

MummyPig24 Fri 11-Jul-14 07:12:24

Breadsticks
Cheese
Cucumber
Grapes
Strawberries
Biscuits
Fruit bars like humzingers or school bars
Cereal bars or homemade flapjacks
Rice cakes or oat cakes
Raisins

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 11-Jul-14 07:04:29

Carrot and cucumber sticks can stay fresh if you add a spoon of water to the Tupperware.
Cheese sticks pre wrapped were handy too.
DS still loves breadsticks and a little Philly pot.
Hard boiled egg
Banana
Avocado
Mini sausages/rolled up ham/chicken breast pieces.
He would've loved a potato.grin

Chipandspuds Fri 11-Jul-14 07:00:13

DS is usually a good eater but can be a bit picky with snacks!

I will usually take rice crackers/cream crackers/banana/chopped fruit salad in a Tupperware tub eg grapes, strawberries & melons.

Unhealthy snacks are far easier...milk buttons of a packet of quavers always goes down well!

vvviola Fri 11-Jul-14 06:56:33

Just spotted rowna mentioning the avocado.

On long days out we usually take an avocado with us (DD adores them and would eat nothing but avocado if given the option), with a "kiwi fruit spoon" (come free with boxes of kiwi fruit here - plastic spoon with lightly serrated handle). Is a brilliant snack or can be combined with some plain pasta and veg to make a decent lunch.

Not brilliant as a leave in the bag type solution, mind you!

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 11-Jul-14 06:50:18

Organic corn puff things
Mini bags of cheese (ready bagged, though as dh always points out I must stop buying these as they are costly and bad for the environment and we should be cutting up our own cheese)
Mini boxes of raisins (see dh's advice above)
Satsumas
Oranges
Recently, dd has also started to enjoy munching on a carrot - she seems to think it is a summer snack, like an ice lolly, and will say "It's a sunny day - I want a carrot!"

vvviola Fri 11-Jul-14 06:43:43

DD2 has dairy and egg allergies so I cannot leave the house without snacks in my bag for her, because if she did get hungry or if we decide to stop for a coffee it's very hard to get something for her.

I usually have some mixture of:
Grapes
Little boxes of raisins - or raisins from a big pack transferred into a small Tupperware container (although the little boxes are better as they take longer to eat)
Mini rice crackers
Small apples and mandarins
Three pack of Oreo cookies (a godsend when everyone else is having a "treat")
Fruit bars of various types

Those fruit pouches are probably a good idea too, they last for ages unopened, but DD refuses them.

If I'm pretty sure we're going to be out at a mealtime where I can't reliably get something, I pack a sandwich (jam or ham), some hummous and something to dip in it, and chicken pieces or something like that.

One day it would be nice to leave the house without the makings of a small picnic at all times...

love the boiled potato idea!!

rowna Thu 10-Jul-14 20:46:09

Mini rice cakes, bread sticks and for longer journies an avocado (with a plastic knife and plate).

For day trips mini babybel and small tomatoes.

If you're on a day out and don't know if they're suddenly going to be starving - not desperately healthy but we used to take mini brioche rolls. Can be eaten with nothing in them and just stave off hunger for an hour or two before you find dinner. They keep for ages.

We always have

Zoo biscuits
Humzingers
Fruit flakes
Raisins

They sit in the bag and can be untouched for weeks and then suddenly the kids start needing food around the clock!

306235388 Thu 10-Jul-14 19:28:09

Ds / dd have liked:

Rice cakes
Crackers
Raisins
Fruit flakes
Individual wrapped croissants / malt loaf
Cheese scone or muffin
Organic crisps
Pepper (won't last well though)

Iownafourinchporsche Thu 10-Jul-14 19:23:47

Seeds, nuts depending on age

Iownafourinchporsche Thu 10-Jul-14 19:23:25

Cheesy oatcakes here or oatcakes with marmite.
Alternatively apples

parallax80 Thu 10-Jul-14 19:12:14

Cut up cherry tomatoes, little cheese cubes, avocado (eat w spoon)

Looseleaf Thu 10-Jul-14 18:10:44

I like hard boiled eggs (often put one unshelled in an empty beaker to protect it) as v nutritious if DS hasn't already had egg for breakfast.
Otherwise a banana or pot of pomegranate (both cheap in our nearest market!) or I cut tiny cubes of cheese. Brazil nuts? Cucumber sticks or pear

I'm trying to give up the healthy snack bars gave our eldest as cheaper without them and we end up eating more fresh stuff .

Mini baby bel can be kept out the fridge for a day, and they come in their own wrapper. Just don't let your dd do what mine did and eat some of the wax coating!

ObfusKate Thu 10-Jul-14 18:02:23

The town where I grew up, a normal food for older babies (BLW!) was a large, thick-cut chip to suck and gnaw on. A baby in a pram clutching a large chip sometimes got judgy stares from some people, but it doesn't seem that bad to me.

Potato grin

widdle Thu 10-Jul-14 16:59:22

MiaowTheCat - totally off topic but that has reminded me of something the doctor told me when I was considering giving up breastfeeding. I asked her plaintively "what will I do when he wakes in the night though" and she said..... "Just give him some puff snacks instead"

I don't think she had kids......

Also I'm still breastfeeding grin

ObfusKate Thu 10-Jul-14 16:54:54

The woman is clearly made of money. A whole pan on to boil for one potato?

Ha! DS2 (18m) has been known to stuff boiled new potatoes down whole while throwing everything else off his plate.

MiaowTheCat Thu 10-Jul-14 16:34:58

Well I shall tell you what some strange nutritionist they dragged out to give a talk on snacks for the local children's centre told us was the perfect snack for a toddler (so you can piss yourself laughing like I did)... a boiled potato... seriously her comment was just to pop one on to boil as you were getting ready to go out, then put it in a little pot ready to go as you leave - and it was perfect.

I would love to see DD1 (who is not a picky junk food obsessed toddler at all) react to being given this for a snack!

Breadsticks go down well here too, and marmite rice cakes. I've usually got a tub of grapes or blueberries depending on the child. Banana. That can go mushy in the wrong place though. Freddos white chocolate buttons mini gingerbread men

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 10-Jul-14 16:06:05

Yy to the mini breadsticks. We usually take out those or rice cakes with a box of raisins.

Nightfall1983 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:00:03

We are also not a snack-y family and I rarely remember to clear out the change bag! I usually carry some combinations of:

Mini breadsticks
Oat bar
Pom bears
Fruit pouch
Cherrios in a tub
Raisins in a tub
Biscotti a in a tub
Plus water

If we are going out and I know he is going to need food I usually bring some grapes (washed and cut and in a tub) and sometimes a sandwich.

Thurlow Thu 10-Jul-14 15:55:37

These are my new saviours. Because they are in their own packet and slightly flavoured, DD thinks they are very exciting biscuits. But because they are sealed in their own packets, they last well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now