Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

DS Nursery got graded inadequate

(64 Posts)
Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 13:45:23

DS's nursery got an inadequate and the report is damning. I felt quite upset reading it actually. They didn't mention it to any of the parents either. I've been concerned about a few things and even posted about it before but I didn't realise how bad things were. Seeing it all laid out in black and white is awful.

Am I allowed to post the ofsted report here?

We've been looking for other childcare anyway but we are really struggling. Nurseries are all full and CM's can't do the days/times I need for work.

Where do we go from here?

realitygone Thu 10-Jul-14 13:56:59

Firstly I would be giving notice to the nursery.

Can you afford a nanny? Or split between two childminders who can do the hours

Superworm Thu 10-Jul-14 13:57:18

Not sure about posting the ofsted report, it's different than naming and complaining about a nursery. At least it's official.

I would keep looking for an alternative and in the meantime speak with the nursery manager and ask what measures they intend to put in place. Is there somewhere on the route to work that has places?

Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 14:07:54

Can't afford a nanny. Do CM do that, splitting hours?

It's made more complicated by the fact that I need someone to do local nursery pick up and drop off as he's been referred to a special speech and language nursery from September

Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 14:14:24

Or...

now you know the worst has already happened and the nursery i son notice to improve, so things can only get better. Also the owners should, if they are wise, keep all parents informed about the improvements as a reassurance. If you move DS somewhere else you may find its next Ofsted is less than perfect too.

The best FE college I ever worked in got a 4 and over the following 2 years went to a 2. After the initial redundancies, sackings, retirement and reshuffles, the moral was really high, management really transparent and the teaching atmosphere was great. So the next few months/years may also be the very best your DSs nursery will have for a while!

randomAXEofkindness Thu 10-Jul-14 14:36:54

How does she know the worst has happened?

Vintagewannabe Thu 10-Jul-14 14:45:32

Ok an inadequate ofsted report is more worrying for a nursery than it is for a school. First thing I would do is take my child out of nursery as inadequate for a nursery is shocking! No under 5 should be anywhere where they are at best not clean and at worst at risk!

You need to contact your local early years office and ask them to send a list of registered childcare providers. They will post all the ones within a certain radius of your postcode along with ofsted grades, if they have pets, what hours they work, fees etc etc. These include all nurseries, childminders and after school clubs. You maybe surprised how many there are and you never found them elsewhere!

If they don't do the hours you need could you split your lo between two childminders? Most childminders will drop off at other nurseries, clinics etc if you ask.

Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 14:49:35

It couldn't get any worse!

They've failed in safeguarding, hygiene, using EYFS. Everything. I work in a secondary school so I know they can turn things around but it doesn't feel as though the nursery really cares about that. More about the money I guess

I definitely need to get him out

I wouldn't send my son back based on the hygiene and safeguarding.

That does sound very worrying indeed - I'm sorry it's hard to find other care but you can't leave him somewhere he's not safe. Must be upsetting - you hope when you go to work that your kids will be happy and well looked-after.

CharlesRyder Thu 10-Jul-14 15:06:06

Would your MIL have him until you find something else? Presumably it's only for another week then you are off?

Two childminders is not ideal but better than that nursery!

I think you should post the report.

CharlesRyder Thu 10-Jul-14 15:06:47

BTW You are entitled to take unpaid carers leave if you have no other choice for next week.

Is he old enough for pre-school? Assuming you only work term-time could that work for you?

Alternatively, as you know before the other parents that puts you at an advantage to secure other care before other parents attempt to do so and use up any free places.

HibiscusIsland Thu 10-Jul-14 15:50:09

I'd be concerned that their slap dash attitudes are reflected in how caring they are towards the children.

Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 16:16:14
Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 16:29:39

Safeguarding and hygiene? Ye gods!

Reading through that it would seem that a closure should be imminent. No DBS checks on all staff is such a big thing that you can only imagine the owners have passed it all on to a new manager/daughter or someone else who is utterly clueless (it went from 2 to 4, so it was good...).

I hope you find somewhere nice for him.

Superworm Thu 10-Jul-14 16:42:02

Oh dear. What changed?

I would take emergency leave and ring round childminders or look for a nanny share this week and move him.

Not having CRB checked staff is appalling.

UnexpectedAutumn Thu 10-Jul-14 16:42:31

And one of the few positive things they mention is the use of plug socket covers, which are dangerous!

Hope you find somewhere you're happy with soon, OP, it must be worrying to are the report and not have heard any plans from the nursery about how they plan to improve.

Tangerinefairy Thu 10-Jul-14 16:43:08

I'm a teacher of early years (my school is outstanding and has been for the last 2 inspections). I have read alot of inspection reports and that is the worst one I have ever read. It is absolutely appalling. I would take my child out right away. This is not one of those situations where a setting has been "unlucky" and slipped up in one area it is the entire nursery. I know you will be able to find somewhere better for your son, it can't be alot worse than that!

Superworm Thu 10-Jul-14 16:43:31

I work in the early years setting and some of the nurseries I go to are shocking. The lack of good childcare makes me very angry Some people are clearly just in it for the money.

TheNightIsDark Thu 10-Jul-14 16:47:30

I've just printed that report to show my team what not to do. That's the worst report I've ever read!

Good grief that is shocking. The only good thing is it sounds as if the staff in the baby room are nice and positive towards the babies - which suggests that staff in other rooms are not.

Sorry but you need to take emergency parental leave and find other care immediately. That place is dirty, dangerous in many different ways, unhealthy and miserable. Nightmare I know but you need to act NOW.

Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 17:04:29

Oh God, everyone's responses are making me feel really panicky now. I don't know what to do. I'm waiting to see a nursery on Wednesday that has space from September, which is fine as I'm a teacher.

I've emailed about 10 CM's in the last month with no luck. I don't think I will find anyone as I need someone who can do 8.45 drop off and 11.45 pick up at local nursery which DS has to go to as it has a SALT facility. He has a severe speech delay

Any other ideas?

Jefferson Thu 10-Jul-14 17:04:54

I mean DS will be going to from October

WhoDaresWins Thu 10-Jul-14 17:17:47

Can you take the report into your boss and show her? Ask for emergency parental leave for the rest of the term?

Then you have the summer to find something else. Don't panic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now