Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Alien looking LED street light has just landed outside my house

(21 Posts)
cerealqueen Thu 10-Jul-14 13:06:38

Right outside, next to our fence. It looks horrible, and is so tall it touches our telephone wire. The old lamp is still there, right opposite it, narrowing the pavement access.

Does anybody else have these? I heard they keep people awake, the light is so bright.

Katy1368 Thu 10-Jul-14 13:49:45

Yes I have one right outside my bedroom window, they will come and take the old one away after the new one is working. Absolutely it is brighter, no two ways about it, light doesn't affect me too much as I am a pretty good sleeper but if you are a light sleeper you may want to invest in some blackouts!

Oldraver Thu 10-Jul-14 13:53:28

I've not seen these but our local swimming pool has some strange lights that look from a distance liking floating halos

Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 14:25:57

Yes. It illuminates inside of the whole house. Black out blinds are required - in the bathroom - to prevent the light pollution through all bedrooms.

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 10-Jul-14 14:26:52

Ice got them. Wait till its adrk, if your near one its like living on a football pitch

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 10-Jul-14 14:27:09

Ive got them not ice

mistlethrush Thu 10-Jul-14 14:27:28

I managed to get the one put directly outside my house moved. It took a lot of work - and they also put a shield on the side near the house so that it didn't spill light in the same way - but moving it was the better solution.

Katy1368 Thu 10-Jul-14 14:27:42

football pitch is a very accurate comparison actually!

ILoveCoreyHaim Thu 10-Jul-14 14:30:40

That what it reminded me of the first night they put them on. Instead of the familiar orange glow you get a white flood light glow

Another thing is roads connecting estates are now very dark as they have put them very far apart so my estate is lit up but if i want to walk along to the next estate the paths without houses are very dark

Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 16:54:13

That is my experience too, and the contrast makes it seem odd: dark corners abound, dark - bright light - dark - bright light - dark....

I think I preferred living in the middle of nowhere with just star/moonlight and the occasional curtained front room's dull glow.

mistlethrush Thu 10-Jul-14 17:05:49

Lots of places now have guidance documents on lighting specification such as this - if you look at 5.4 it specifically deals with glare and shielding. OP - is there a similar document in your area?

Nomama Thu 10-Jul-14 18:09:06

Oh our light is shielded, it has a special cover/shade. But the sheer whiteness of the light penetrates so much more than the old orange glow.

cerealqueen Thu 10-Jul-14 21:12:47

Thanks everybody - I'm waiting for it to come on!

They do seem very far apart so peeved that they chose to put one outside our house, rather than ours being missed out.

They sent a letter a couple of months ago, then one earlier this week and here they are. No consultation, it must be costing a fortune, whilst cutting other essential services, wondering if the savings will outweigh the costs.

I'll have to investigate more but thanks for the advice about shields and that maybe we can even get it moved....!

unlucky83 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:32:14

Oh - they have put these on my parent's road...and they are torn!
There are fewer street lights all together - so as PP said more dark patches...
They had an old type one straight outside their house - just enough light to get up the path/drive and see to put the key in the door -they didn't need an outside light to get in/the cars on drive safer cos illuminated - but it has gone! Now they can't see to get in and have had to have an outside light fitted...so it would be nice to have one in the same place as the old one ...
BUT the house across the road has had one straight outside - and the front of their house is only a couple of feet from the pavement. As my dad said they must be saving a fortune on their electric bills - they won't need to use their inside lights...

littlewhitebag Thu 10-Jul-14 21:38:24

There are no street lights where i live so it is DARK and i like it that way. I would hate those new street lamps outside my house.

Oh dear. A new one has arrived outside next door today. Just waiting for it to get dark. The old orange one was really dim, too dim to be able to see to walk under, really, but it didn't keep us awake. DS1 might have to actually close his curtains.

Cereal, no letter here. Just a sign on the old lamppost asking us not to park there today which arrived yesterday.

cerealqueen Thu 10-Jul-14 23:26:25

It hasn't come on, the old one has though. Guessing they will want to do the whole street rather than just a section.

FannyFifer Thu 10-Jul-14 23:29:53

We got these new ones recently, very very bright, it's right outside my bedroom window. I use an eye mask at night time.

Well, ours is actually OK. Admittedly it's midsummer so it doesn't get that dark, but it was still orangey coloured and not too bright. Well shielded above to help prevent light pollution. I'm happy. smile

kinkymouse Fri 11-Jul-14 08:28:28

We have had these for around a year. The light is very white and takes a bit of getting used to but they must have screens as there is no more light than the old ones come into the house.

The only thing we noticed which was odd was they're all different heights so they look a bit untidy, we assume to miss the telephone wires but it does look strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now