Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

icing chocolate cake

(14 Posts)
yougotafastcar Thu 10-Jul-14 05:28:33

i have made two chocolate sponges. i need to ice them, but no clue what with. it must be able to last all day out the fridge, and be decorated by smarties/sprinkles ect. oh and ingredients must be able to come from the corner shop.

i already tried chocolate butter cream and it failed!

please help mebrew

FrozenYogurt Thu 10-Jul-14 05:35:08

Hi, in what way did the buttercream fail? Do you have enough butter and icing sugar to have another go? It's a simple recipe that shouldn't go too wrong.
Alternatively do a ganache - look up Mary Berry's chocolate ganache recipe - it's basically chocolate melted into cream. Delish!

FrozenYogurt Thu 10-Jul-14 05:36:17

If all else fails, my mum used to ice her choc sponges with Nutella straight from the jar, so there's always that easy option if all else fails!!

yougotafastcar Thu 10-Jul-14 07:20:53

it just tasted boring and not chocolately at all. not sure if the shop sells blocks of butter now.

i did consider nutella but wont it be a bit flat? or would it be better to split the cake into 4 thin layers and put nutella in?

TheCSLibraryPree Thu 10-Jul-14 07:27:43

Can you get to somewhere that sells Betty Crocker products? I used their chocolate fudge topping to 'ice' a gluten free chocolate/banana cake and it was excellent for a good number of hours - was iced around 9am and not eaten until mid afternoon and stored in a Tupperware type box on a table at room temperature in between!

Cindy34 Thu 10-Jul-14 07:32:39

Chocolate icing made from
Icing sugar
A large spoon of golden syrup
A large spoon of nutella/choc spread, possibly more to get right colour.
A little milk.

Mix quite thick and pour over. It is runny but does set (usually) if you do not add too much liquid.

tryingtocatchthewind Thu 10-Jul-14 07:36:05

I'd agree with the ganache, just a bar of chocolate melted in some double cream - yum!

harverina Thu 10-Jul-14 07:39:23

I do a chocolate glaze....

1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp margarine or butter
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract

For the glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It'll look gloppy, but it's just the bubbles! Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.

Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles now. Let this cool for an 1 hour, if you can wait that long!

It's delicious gringringringringrin

calzone Thu 10-Jul-14 07:42:34

I used Betty Crocker icing yesterday......very good product.

I put dark choc on the top as soon as it came of the oven and it melted immediately. Saved me washing a bowl!

yougotafastcar Thu 10-Jul-14 07:51:48

ok right, so would it work if i split the cakes into four layers and made a chocolate ganache, put that in two layers and over the top and nutella in other two layers?

yougotafastcar Thu 10-Jul-14 07:52:30

i could get betty crocker stuff but i dont wanna walk 35 mins in the rain!

harverina Thu 10-Jul-14 08:02:33

I just pour my glaze over with nothing in between

FrozenYogurt Fri 11-Jul-14 03:55:08

Chocolate buttercream - use real, melted, good-quality chocolate, not cocoa powder, it should taste chocolatey.

Spread a thin layer of apricot jam on the top of one cake, then the ganache, then top with the other cake and cover with the remaining ganache. Top with white choc shavings or sprinkles/smarties, etc. for a festive finish.

Good luck, lots of nice suggestions here, I'm sure it'll taste ace!

SignYourName Fri 11-Jul-14 04:11:46

Google Nigella's chocolate Guinness cake and use her cream cheese frosting (basically Philadelphia and icing sugar, I just can't remember the quantities).

Piss easy to make, makes a nice contrast with chocolate cake, has a sweet-but-fresh taste so not sickly and will show up sprinkles etc well, being white.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now