Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I need tickets for Harry Potter World for DDs birthday but they're sold out - any ideas?

(16 Posts)
TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Wed 09-Jul-14 22:39:20

It's on the 29th July, and the website says completely sold out sad
I (probably stupidly, in retrospect) had no idea we needed to book so far in advance.

Can you get them from anywhere that isn't dodgy other than the HP-World Warner Bros website? Obviously we'd need to be confidant they're the real deal.

DD had a rubbish birthday last year, and isn't having an easy time of things generally. She'll be 12 on the 29th, and is heading firmly into troubled teen territory. Since starting secondary last year she's had some really challenging friendship problems, but had settled on one lovely outside-of-school friend, who she doesn't see that often and who shares her love of all things HP, to come with her. We had all the arrangements made with the other girl - but hadn't sorted out the buggering tickets! I'm so cross with myself angry

Any ideas for finding tickets, or am I being hopelessly optimistic? Or failing that, any ideas for anything we could do in the South East to make the day special?

Thanks

Hiphopopotamus Wed 09-Jul-14 22:46:49

Does the trip need to be actually on her birthday? Could you not get tickets for slightly later in the summer, but give them to her on her birthday ? I don't know how that would work with the other girl.

I would be wary of buying tickets from elsewhere.

(It is a brilliant day out though - definitely worth it!)

ShatnersBassoon Wed 09-Jul-14 22:48:39

I too think getting tickets for a later date would be your best bet. They're old enough to understand.

BornOfFrustration Wed 09-Jul-14 22:48:57

Viator usually have them but they'll be part of a coach trip.

Pickofthepops Wed 09-Jul-14 22:56:02

Was told by them that tour companies return is sold tickets about a week before. The lady I spoke to also told me the best time to look online for these 'returns' or unsold ones. If you can wait you might get availability. Phone them up and ask them for the same info as I mention above. Good luck!

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Wed 09-Jul-14 23:01:33

Thanks - had a a look at Viatour, but nothing until 16th August sad

I guess we'll have to look at going later on. It is a bit tricky with the other girl, as her family tend to be quite busy socially, and DD, well... isn't. Yes, they are old enough to understand, but DD has a bit of SEN thrown into the mix, has been so excited about the idea of this, and the last two (now I come to think of it) birthdays have been real disappointments, so it's a bit of a shame. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for something exciting we (me, step dad, and hopefully friend - no siblings) could do on her actual birthday in the SE?

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Wed 09-Jul-14 23:03:33

Thanks Pick I will phone them!

Nerf Wed 09-Jul-14 23:05:07

Mme tussauds? Did this recently and dd (15) had an excellent time in the sleb bit and the 4d show was fun.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 09-Jul-14 23:05:51

Go to Matilda the Musical. Worth every penny.

PolyesterBride Wed 09-Jul-14 23:06:02

You can go and see the platform at kings x ( not a day out but you can get your photo taken and there's a Harry potter shop there). Then go and see a show? Or something like a trip down the River or other London sightseeing?

HairyPotter Wed 09-Jul-14 23:06:30

Try Superbreak. The only drawback is that you need to book a hotel as well. They do have done cheap and cheerful ones in the area though.

Jinglebells99 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:46:05

You could keep looking at the website as tickets do come up now and then. I remember when we went there was nothing available but checked over a few days and tickets did come up. Does your dd like doctor who? doctor who experience is good but in Cardiff!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 10-Jul-14 16:51:29

We had the same problem, twice I've made the mistake of leaving it too lateblush

In fact I may just book now, for next July, to ensure I do get tickets and a decent timegrin

We did Woburn Safari park instead this year, it was great and I can highly recommend it. We made a weekend of it by camping halfway between home and Woburn. Well worth the trip. The bonus being that I got tickets free via Tesco clubcard too.

Mhw02 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:03:06

For my 11th birthday, I was given tickets for The Phantom of the Opera - the show was about 6 weeks after my birthday, so all I got on my birthday was a letter. I was the first time I had ever been to a show and I was completely and utterly thrilled (obviously, given I still remember it...!) Get her tickets for later in the summer.

But for her actual birthday I agree with Biscuitsneeded - if you can afford the tickets, Matilda is amazing, I went last week! But if you're interested, get tickets now - they do sell out.

Mhw02 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:04:21

I mean tickets for Harry Potter, not Phantom, obviously! grin

Babelange Thu 10-Jul-14 17:22:51

Hi OP, read your post and looked at the HP Warner Bros site and I wonder if you could split your group up? Family tickets are better value (marginally) but I found eg. 2 adult tickets for the morning slots on the 29th. So if you were 2 adults, 2 children then you could buy 1 adult + 1 child for the 9.00 slot and then 1 adult + 1 child for the 9.30 slot - queue up together and once you have done the 'induction' you join up - the majority of the 'tour' is in 2 vast studio sets, big as aircraft hangars. Not sure though whether they will permit children only bookings. Good luck, it's fab BTW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now