Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Teacher apologises to parents after 'alien egg' project leaves children 'in tears and too scared to go to school'

(75 Posts)
SaggyAndLucy Wed 09-Jul-14 21:26:45

here
Seriously?

CheerfulYank Wed 09-Jul-14 21:32:37

Um...what?!

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Wed 09-Jul-14 21:48:15

The complaints weren't particularly harsh or critical though - more of an FYI to the school. Not demanding the activity be stopped or making a big deal out of it.

Sounds like a fun project but some kids respond to things well, some kids don't. It's almost like children are individuals with different personalities and life experiences that make them respond differently - who knew!

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Wed 09-Jul-14 21:50:23

I have absolutely no idea what point I was trying to make there, by the way. Something along the lines of 'I think it's a cool project but it can't be surprising some kids won't like it, doesn't make them bad people or the school idiots, that's just life.'

But it's late and I'm tired, so who knows.

LynetteScavo Wed 09-Jul-14 21:53:02

I want an alien egg at my DC's school.

It doesn't matter what schools, do, there will always be one unhappy parent.

lettertoherms Wed 09-Jul-14 21:55:17

Wow - sounds like a fun and thoughtful project to engage the whole school!

I don't understand why parents of younger kids, if their child was truly upset, can't just, um, explain it's a joke, it's pretend. And calling it a prank, are they serious? It's a learning activity. We had many lessons based around pretend/roleplay as a child, maybe not as interesting as this, but we certainly understood it.

I was the most fearful and imaginative child around. I could have easily imagined the worst with something like this - but I would have been fine with my parents telling me it wasn't real.

SaggyAndLucy Wed 09-Jul-14 21:55:18

What's wrong with "Don't worry darling it's just pretend, but don't tell the others, you'll spoil it"?

iklboo Wed 09-Jul-14 21:55:53

They did this at DS's school and all the children loved it. Each class did its own special project on it. It was really well done.

FullOfChoc Wed 09-Jul-14 21:57:30

They did the exact same one at my children's school, my DC were foundation and yr2.

We were sent a cryptic "warning" - "do not be alarmed by a strange happening at school tomorrow," by text the night before and then greeted in the morning by police tape cordoning off a corner of the playground and staff in high viz jackets. The whole day was devoted to the event, loads of science, literacy and maths work was done as part of the investigations.

My kids still totally believe it was real and I think it was brilliant! What a fantastic way to engage them and show them how what they learn can be applied.

JohnFarleysRuskin Wed 09-Jul-14 21:57:49

What lovely teachers.

We had fairy doors in reception. It was great - dc sooo engaged. An alien egg would be cracking (ha!)

FullOfChoc Wed 09-Jul-14 21:59:31

I think we may have had a few moaners too, so the school told the children the next day that it was aircraft fuel not an alien egg. We never made the news though!

Trollsworth Wed 09-Jul-14 21:59:39

Children with asd are often very very upset with themes like this, and since there isn't adequate provison for them, they have to be schooled in mainstream, leading to situations like this.

Ds1, when he was six and in year 1, became utterly distraught because he had been told the class was 'visiting Spain!' and should bring in 'something for a holiday'.

He kept telling me that he didnt want to go on a plane, that he didnthave a passport, that he couldn't swim.

You have to rememebr that not every child is as bright and competing as yours. You have probably got children with disabilities in your class.

MamaPain Wed 09-Jul-14 22:00:19

I read this earlier and thought what a bunch of joyless bastard the parents are. I bet the teachers put a shitload of work into organising it and sourcing a 3ft egg.

Trollsworth Wed 09-Jul-14 22:00:56

My son was not fine with me reassuring him that he wasn't really going. His teacher had to.d him he was going, andteachers don't tell lies.

DefiniteMaybe Wed 09-Jul-14 22:03:35

That sounds amazing. I might have to have a discovery like this is our garden over the summer.

SaggyAndLucy Wed 09-Jul-14 22:03:47

Then surely that is the issue? Not that the teachers have managed to come up with a great way to stimulate the imaginations of their pupils and bring some interest into the curriculum?

ObfusKate Wed 09-Jul-14 22:03:49

I would've been angry I'd been tricked, as a child. Don't know why. I'm odd like that. But it sounds like a lovely idea, a lot of fun, and the staff must've gone to a lot of effort. It's a shame some children were upset, though.

Trollsworth Wed 09-Jul-14 22:04:00

You too would be joyless, MamaPain, if you had been awake LITERALLY all night trying to make an autistic six year old believe you when you tell him nobody is going to really make him go to Spain.

Whilewildeisonmine Wed 09-Jul-14 22:04:40

Too eggstreme for some perhaps?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 09-Jul-14 22:05:27

We had an alien crash too. Dd loved it. A lot of thought and effort went into it. Really exciting.

TheFisherKing Wed 09-Jul-14 22:05:43

I posted about this earlier.

One of the parents commented on my thread to say her children were scared shitless.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2128349-Halstead-Holy-Trinity-Alien-egg-project

I find that strange as you would make sure your children thought it fun and exciting. Unless some of the parents thought it was real!

Trollsworth Wed 09-Jul-14 22:07:35

It's been this issue since the criteria changed for special schooling.

It will be the issue for ever more.

Inclusion has to mean just that. Not 'stick him in anyway, he's a quiet one and he doesn't bite.'

Do you not think the parents of children with additional needs have been fighting tooth and nail to get this addressed? Do you think it's ideal for our kids?

Your child has to undergo the potential inconvenience of having it gently explained to the class that the dragon eggs aren't real - my child gets to have an inadequate education at the expense of his mental health.

I know what I would rather have.

lettertoherms Wed 09-Jul-14 22:08:26

I think teachers not making appropriate provisions for students with SNs is a separate, important, issue. His teacher definitely should have been clear with your son, Trollsworth.

I would bet the parents making twitter complaints here are not in that position.

MamaPain Wed 09-Jul-14 22:08:40

If you read the article Trollsworth the parents mention nightmares and being scared not ASD.

Inadequate provision for the special needs of children is the real problem not the fact that the teachers have put masses of work into something which is perfectly reasonable. Imagination and pretend are frequent occurrences in school and useful ways of teaching, you can't eradicate those elements because it isn't suitable for a small minority.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Wed 09-Jul-14 22:11:31

DD1s school had aliens land in the playground.

All sorts of interesting lessons happened over those two days.

DD is year five so knew it wasn't real, but got the point of it, and helped encourage the younger ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now